“Good restaurant next to the Roman Theatre”
Review of La Rom' Antique - CLOSED

La Rom' Antique
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Good address in central Orange next to the roman theatre and the museum. We had the set menu at €27, it was a good dinner. We wanted to taste the Châteauneuf-du-Pape wines, so we ordered a €45 bottle, so that made a €110 dinner for two (including two local apéritifs). Had we had a different bottle of wine, that would have been a €40 per person dinner, and I found this is value for money, as the food was very tasty.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

This restaurant was suggested to us by our hotel concierge in Orange. The food was delicious and the decor of the restaurant was a pleasant blend of ancient stone and contemporary trappings. The only thing about the place we didn't like was that the tables were a bit too close together.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were there for dinner on October 16. Do not believe any reports that they accept credit cards. At the end of dinner, they refused to accept, in order, a Capital One Master Card, a Chase VISA, an American Express card, and US dollars with a generous conversion. I was forced to accompany a restaurant employee through deserted streets at 9:30 PM to withdraw cash at an ATM. They have a very large bouncer to apparently enforce this. I left 100 euros on the table for a bill of 92 euros and ran for the door. A large group (15) of Chinese businessmen had a similar problem, although it seemed that one of them had a card that eventually went through after several cards were refused.

We are in our mid-60s and seasoned travelers, on a wine buying trip in the Rhone Valley. This was the only establishment that refused a Master Card in France. Ours was accepted at extremely rural vineyards and even gas stations throughout the Beaujolais and Rhone Valley regions. The food is mediocre and the wine list very poor, considering they are a few miles from the greatest Rhone Valley producers. An altogether appalling experience. Dine there at your own risk.

1  Thank vanative1609
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I are enjoying a 3 week trip around France and tonight we had, without doubt ,our best meal. Overlooking the Old Roman Theatre, the setting was great. It was a bit quiet but it was a Sunday night!

The welcome was very warm and the waitress was only too happy to help in our decsion making process.

The food was just fantastic. This is a class place with a chef to match!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

If I could convince the chef to move to my home city I'd never eat anywhere else.

My husband and I are mid-trip for our 25th anniversary and chose this location based on the tripadvisor reviews. We were beyond delighted. I think the ohhs and ahhs coming from our table might have been embarrassing except that everyone in the place seemed equally pleased with their plates. The restaurant is small, seating about 30 inside with exposed wood beams and a stone wall, and has a patio overlooking the ancient theatre site. The service was perfect, attentive but not overbearing. Ability to order in English and have some of the French menu items explained was really helpful. Wines are available by the glass or bottle at r reasonable prices. Menu is prix-fix, at 21 or 27 EU, or a la carte for the same dishes. Each prix-fix menu had 2-3 selections available from each category, so you can mix it up a bit. Portions are very good sized, and we left completely full, yet I kept thinking just one more bite of the lamb and gravy because it was so addictive.

We each tried the 21EU menu - a bargain given the quality of the food, giving us one of each option (there are 2 starters, 2 entrees, 2 desserts on this menu). I had a hard time sharing my half in every instance because it was so delicious, but then we'd swap plates and the second item was equally amazing.

Here's what we had:
Starter of pumpkin soup - one of the nicest squash soups I've had, which paired great with the white Rhone house wine
A terrine of pork with a dressed baby spinach that paired well with the house red
Entrée of lamb confit on smashed potatoes encircled in a gravy I'll dream of for years
Crispy salmon on lentils - I like lentils in soup, but these were so flavor infused it was like nothing I've had before
Toffee crème brulee - wow
Cheesecake with orange and berry glaze with a nice firm texture not typical of the US style cream cheese based cheesecakes
A couple of coffees with dessert, and we each started with a glass of white Chateauneuf-du-Pape white, one of my favorite wines that can be hard to find in the US

So in conclusion - I highly recommend la rom'antique. We agreed, it's possibly one of the best meals we've had with every item carefully prepared to perfection. The chef was checking in on guests here and there, and seems modest given his talents.