“Would not stay here again”
Review of Hotel HM

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Marseille
Hotel HM
Ranked #119 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 20 July 2009

This hotel is just off the main street to the harbor, but that is the only good thing about it. It was dingy, dirty, and we had a bad nights sleep because we felt uncomfortable sleeping there.

It was a good price for our budget, but in the end we wished we had splurged for something nicer. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel HM

Reviewed 4 May 2009

Just a few blocks from the Vieux Port heart of Marseille, this place is all about location. The room was clean and perfectly acceptable -- although not special. There's currently construction going on -- no noise but there was scaffolding over the windows. There was some street noise, but not too bad.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2009

If you need nothing but a place to lay your weary head, then this is the place for you. It was clean enough but only just. Everything is quite worn but we survived. Much like city camping. The pillows were like bags of fake cotton balls.
My suggestion, drink lots of wine with the boullibaise at the harbour then it won't matter a tot! You won't have far to meander to your bed.
I would reccommend if you're going for a wild weekend but not a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2009

I stayed at HM Hotel for one night only and was a bit worried as it is a two stars in a rough port city, but it was absolutely great.
Small room with all basic facilities, clean and quiet, fantastic location right in the centre of Marseille, simple breakfast and friendly staff.

It is excellent value for money and I think it is perfect for a short stay or a city break. It is one of the best two stars I have ever been

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I just came back from marseille and had booked originally for four nights but had to leave after two nights as it was difficult with two kids going up and down the spiral staircase. The hotel staff were very nice and friendly I have to give them that.This is the perfect hotel if your a bunch of lads looking for somewhere to just sleep at night. As for Marseille i wouldn't bother visiting as first of all there is not much there to see anything that there is to see can be covered in maximum two days or one day if you want to do a quick tour using the train ride from the viuex port which costs a bargain 6 euro adult and 3 for kids. Also be warned things are so expensive here it will turn out to be a expensive holiday as i found out. In example a large meal at McDonalds will set you back nearly £8.00 so be prepared. There was an excellent pizzeria called Venizia Pizzeria which does a oven baked pizza, four of us ate for under £40. There is an Indian restuarant called the Jaipur by the viuex port, I can safely say it is the worst indian food i have had in my life, and you are looking at £25 per head upwards in there so be warned it is not worthit. Just wait till you get to the UK where the best Indian restuarants in the world are.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank iamtopgeezer
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Was not impressed with this hotel in the slightest. It cost 80 euros for one night which considering the hotels location and its services is appaling. It's located on a street, which according to our timeout's flight free europe book, is reknowned for its muggings and violent crimes. To make matters worse, the view from our window was of polythene and dried cement from the building works on the hotel at our time of stay. I realise that these things have to be done, but when you're woken up by said builders at quarter to seven in the morning, it really does make you feel like you have been well and truly mugged.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I recently visited Marseille for a 5 night stay and chose this hotel as I was on a fairly tight budget, and it seemed to have the best Tripadvisor reviews of all the cheapish hotels in Marseille.
So, what did I think of it? I'll start with the positives. It's in a good location, about midway between the train station in one direction and the old port (which is the town centre to most intents) in the other direction, and about 10 minutes walk from each. It's located in a side street just off Rue Canebiere, which is the main street leading down to the port. I found it to be fairly quite at night - there was the odd wailing police siren now and then, but no worse than I've encountered in other hotels close to the centres of large towns.
The staff I encountered at the hotel were friendly and polite, and spoke at least a bit of English. My room was clean, and had a nice ensuite with a shower (no bath) and toilet, again that was all clean and the shower worked fine, plenty of hot water. The hotel's breakfast is fairly basic, but good value for just 5 euros.
Now for the negatives. I was in one of their cheapest rooms - a standard single - which cost 40 euros plus tax a night, and it was VERY small! The words 'swing' and 'cat' sprung to mind! There was no beside table or other table to put things on, just a small shelf on the wall by the bed and a slightly larger shelf on the other wall. There was a wardrobe, but no chair, which I found annoying, as it meant I had to put some of my clothes on the floor. There was a TV, but it was only a portable, and, most annoyingly, it was suspended right up by the ceiling, which meant that I had to crane my neck back to see it. Also, they advertised on their website as having 'satellite TV', so I was hoping they might have at least one or two English language TV channels, but this proved not to be the case, there were about 12 or so channels but they were all French.
Anyway, to sum up, I'd say that for the price this is a reasonable no-frills hotel in a good location, but if you hunt about you might be able to find a better deal for the same price.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo