“good value refined cooking”
Review of L'Aromat

L'Aromat
Reserve with
L'Aromat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 2,255 Restaurants in Marseille
Price range: US$22 - US$69
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First - the staff are delightful. We were the only non French present when we had dinner and they made a real effort to look after us. The wine waiter in particular was informative without in anyway being pushy.
The ambience was cool modern and restrained but at the same time comfortable.
The food. The catch of the day fish was pronounced by my wife to be the best fish she had ever eaten! I would not go that far but it was excellent. The famed hamburger was for me I'm afraid a disappointment - I know others have raved, but a small piece of fish on a bed of ? caramelised onion, covered with some lettuce and aioli in bun plus a few frankly soggy chips and a glass of rather unappetising broth failed to impress. The same cannot be said for the deserts. I had the house special albeit at a supplement, but 9 (!) individual different puddings on a very large plate - more than made up for the hamburger! My wife's chocolate extravaganza also impressed.
The wine selected for us was an interesting and very reasonable local white blend.
Finally back to the puddings - have the special between two of you. That is unless you haven't eaten for a couple of days!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We chose this restaurant because of the positive reviews on this website, and we were not disappointed. The food really is of great quality. We loved the way in which French classics such as bouillabaisse and fois gras were converted into exciting new dishes. Will definately go here again!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Made a booking based on reviews and was not at all disappointed. Tastefully decorated pleasant surroundings and absolutely delicious food. A special mention must go to the boulloibaise burger and the bellota pork 3 ways - though we enjoyed all courses immensely. Extremely good value for money for the quality of cuisine on offer.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We had diner based on the reviews here. It was good But not special. I ordered the hamburger Bouillabaisse which is a great idea, but the tasted was not ok. So nice but not great. I think it is time for more innovation.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Reviews of L'Aromat interested me enough to book it for our Saturday night meal on a weekend away in Marseille. I didn't regret the booking - not only was L'Aromat a cool haven in a very hot city (the AC was most welcome!) but the menu and service were great.

We struggled to pick from the menu as everything looked and sounded so intriguing. Bouillabase burger was the clear creative winner but even our fairly "normal" main of pork was beautifully cooked. Every dish arriving at the table was a masterpiece - so much went into the presentation and adornment of each course. In this regard the style is a bit dated but it doesn't detract from the great flavours.

Definitely a good pick for a special meal in Marseille. Decent value for money too - recommended.

1  Thank Blackers79