“A truly magical experience”
Review of Chez Aldo

Chez Aldo
Reserve with
Chez Aldo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 2,440 Restaurants in Marseille
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2012

To begin, we had stopped by the Restaurant a few days ahead of our dinner and appearances left much to be desired. However, on the night of our reservation, we walked from our accommodations about 1km away and with the doors open and the security panels gone we experienced a completely different impression. We arrived at about 2028 hrs for our 2030 reservation and immediately experienced some problems with a reservation they seemed to have no record of. Since we had requested Bouillabaisse the lack of reservation posed more of a problem since they required 24 hours notice. Then the manager showed me our reservation on his Blackberry, for the night before. OMG. Never have I done such a thing, I think I will blame the Provence Rosé, of which we had tasted many. However, without missing a beat, a gentlemen I took to be one of the owners and perhaps the chef, assured us that he could offer us something very special but not Bouillabaisse. Feeling mortified at my mistake, and having stuck them with a Bouillabaisse the night before I think I was ready to agree to anything, so we agreed to his offer.

Then Chez Aldo began to really show their class and style. The gentleman showed us to a table, not just any table mind you but a table for two right at the window, with a second to none view of the setting sun. They offered a small but completely adequate wine list from which I ordered a bottle of Chateau La Coste Rosé which turned out to compliment the meal that was to come perfectly, The chef/owner who seemed to have made it his mission to ensure our satisfaction seemed to approve wholeheartedly of my selection and it soon arrived. Between the view of the harbour, the ocean, the islands and Marseille, we really didn't notice time very much, however, I would estimate about 30 minutes later (maybe less) a Tureen arrived at our table filled with our “special dish” containing 4 of what I would estimate to be about 250g - 350g shrimp, mussels, fish (firm, white, boneless filets), large scallops and a selection of vegetables

With the crusty baguette slices, spread with the mustard mixture, lining the bottom of our large bowls, We spooned the mixture of soup and seafood into our bowls. The entire meal was wonderful, and with the view of the small harbour and the sun setting over the Mediterranean the setting could not have been better. Or so I thought, when the desert menu arrived my wife was able to order one of her favourite flavours, Cassis, and the glacee that arrived did not disappoint, she went on and on about the flavour and texture, and its comparison to real Blackberries. My nougat glacee was also wonderful although not frozen quite as hard as the one I had at Mere Germane, in Chateauneuf-du-Pape (see my review there)

After finishing our coffee, and making our way to the cashier, the gentleman from before crossed what was now a very full restaurant at 10 with people waiting for tables, shake my hand and again ensure that everything had been to our liking and satisfaction. I held my breath for a moment, not knowing what this special meal the chef had recommended would total, only to find a bill that was 40-50 Euros LESS then a Bouillabaisse would have cost me.

3  Thank highbrae

Reviewed 10 March 2012

I knew Aldo, he disappeared, the restaurant is modern now, some spirit is not anymore there but the food is always good and the place : La Madrague tiny port beautiful.

2  Thank JacquesHMarseille
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We visited Chez Aldo for our wedding anniversary and booked through La Fourchette. We arrived at the restaurant a little before it opened to find several members of staff smoking on the doorstep. Rather than politely being asked to come back when the restaurant was open we were given a very unfriendly reception and even felt slightly intimidated by their rudeness, basically telling us to go away.
We returned once the restaurant was open to find that they had lost our booking. I had brought my booking confirmation but rather than being accomodating we were made to feel like a nuisance and were reluctantly shown to a table.
Although the food was good, the unfriendly and rude reception we received completely spoiled the evening and we just wanted to leave from the moment we arrived. Very upsetting when it was our wedding anniversary. Would not recommend this restaurant.

5  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stopped into Chez Aldo for lunch on our way from St. Maxine to Nimes, and a very nice distraction is was too. We had to brave driving through a very busy Marseille in our little rental, complete with out of date satnav and roadworks, so it was finally good to arrive (after finding a parking space).
The staff were very pleasant, with an excellent menu (in French or English). Emphasis is on seafood, but caters for meat eaters also...and even the odd veg dish. It appears that the remainder of the patrons were locals, which is often a good indicator of quality.
We had squid in batter, and Chez Aldo mussels for starters, followed by Gambas Provencale (terrific sauce), and fish stew (served in a huge pot) for mains. We shared a 'Cafe Germound' for dessert (which consisted of mini versions of a creme brulee, an orange tart, a madeline, a strawberry chantilly cream, a tiramasu, and a coffee). A bottle of Bandol Rose helped steady the nerves for the return drive through Marseille.
If you do prefer to experience the bouillabaisse, then you'll need to give them 24 hours notice. We booked our table via thefork.com.
If we're in the area again, we'll definately go back.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

It's about 10km across town along a very busy road. We stayed in the Port area and got a cab - that cost €30 each way! Then there was the service. It will remain with us forever; it was awful. We waited so long for our mains I politely mentioned we would have to return to the UK at some stage so was hoping to eat before that. The mains arrived and were so incredibly hot, it was patent they'd be sitting under a heat-lamp for too long. Such a pity because the quality and flavour of the starters was exceptional. But you don't pay a restaurant for the taste alone - you want to feel welcome, comfortable, and catered for. You don't want to spend the night waiting and searching for the waitress's attention. Poor show.

1  Thank Fleester