“Sweet on Suite Affaire”
Review of Massili Appart

Massili Appart
Ranked #112 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 31 August 2014

A bit confusing to find, especially trying to walk alone from the train station which I did, though I made a couple of wrong turns. But by the time I got there and got checked in, I was ready to hike back to the terminal to catch a train to Aix-en-Provence which I also did. Since I had only two nights in Marseille, this place worked really well in terms of location. I had dinner each night in a different seafood restaurant of which there are many, many in the Vieux Port area. There also was a wonderful market set up on Sunday just a block from the hotel that made for interesting people watching. My requirements in terms of lodging are simple so this place suited me well as a single female traveler. I didn't really avail myself of the apartment amenities so not even sure if they worked or not. I did find it a bit tiresome to have to carry out my own trash when vacating, along with all my other gear, but that is what I was instructed to do, so I did it. I gather the area can be a bit dodgy in terms of safety, but I never stayed out late, so did not encounter any untoward attention. I always held my breath when coming in after dark about whether or not the key would work to get the hotel entrance open, but it never presented a problem. For the price, this accommodation gave me just what I needed, a room with no view, but a splendid location for seeing the sights within walking distance of the main station.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The location is very good: metro station, Le Panier neighborhood and the Vieux Port are very near. The street is quit confuse in the point where the apartment is located, but this is not a problem.
The room is espacious, with a lot of light and comfortable. It could have a better provision in the kitchen, but has the minimum. The bathroom is big, also. Everything working well, including the wifi.
They do not clean anything, you are expected to take the garbage out!

Room Tip: You will be in the very city center. There is some noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank elen_mac
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was staying on business. The apartments are located one block from the old harbour quay, so could not be more central. Room facilities are good, although the kettle did not work, and the safe was locked. Also, the kitchen is not as well equipped as you might expect; for example, there was cutlery, but no bread or kitchen knives.
The room itself is large with a comfortable bed, dining area, as well as sofa-bed and comfortable chairs. Wi-Fi was also good and stable.
I agree with other reviewers that the hotel is somewhere between Good and Very Good.
I would not hesitate to give 4 if the things above had not been found.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jens L
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

It is not a hotel but little studios for rent. The area is extremelu dangerous, my colleague had his car parked in front of the hotel and had is window broken and door forced. Nothing works in the Hotel. I found no soap in the doser. Heathing in the toilet is not working. Heating in the room did not work for one day and it was freeezing. The internet connection is incredibly slow and does not allow you to call through skype. I feel scammed. At the same or lower price you can go in a much better hotel of an international chain rather than this place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PierbrunoProfili
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have not stayed in this type of accomm. before but it has great potential, although I wouldn't say Suite Affaire is 4 stars. I wanted to say it is 'good' rather than 'very good' but there is no such ranking ... There should be a 'good', better than average but not up there with 'very good'.

I had no probs with security/safety at the hotel OR in Marseile; it was absolutely fine for a lone woman!

The room was a bit noisy (no double glazing)-just bring your earplugs! I got used to the Rue Coutellerie being a rat run to the Rue de la Rebublique.

There were several things wrong with the room initially and it took till the following day to sort them out. Lots of staff there (and yes, the fair-haired receptionist seems moody but I think it's just her way!) Toilet seat broken, sink blocked, blind stuck, shower coming off wall (latter not fixed during stay) Everyone tried to fix these things and most were in the end but all the staff blamed the invisible owners for the repairs not being done ...

On the whole, service was good (can't get in till 3pm, on day of arrival, though ...) and room quite minimalist/Scandinavian-IKEA. Everything a bit basic though, but it was nice to have all the cooking facilities (coffee maker, big fridge, kettle , two electric plates) The staff were good enough to give me a room with a bath, not just a shower. Bed nice and firm. Big wardrobes; no English news in the tv, though. Free wifi!! Wifi DID work after the password was changed; staff quite helpful in that regard and in giving me extra a larger cup to drink tea (!) Computer on ground floor can be used. No soaps for washing hands but there IS shower gel. Bring washing up liquid and pot scubber! Microwave a good idea and heated towel rail for drying wet things. Separate toilet. Large, spacious accomm. Hard to open room door initially but staff helped me!

Marseille is great-gritty and the people so friendly. Go to Mucem, La Veille Charité, Villa Mediterranean, Museum Cantini, ND de la Garde (bus 60 from Vieux Port just along from La Samaritaine café), Regards de Provence museum, Cours Julien, Café Noailles)

You can easily get a bus from the airport (8€ or 12€ rtn) to St Charles bus stn and then a taxi to Suite Affaire. U Express supermarket and bakery nearby. Very central accomm., but they just need to get their act together in terms of repairs etc (staff admitted this!)

Room Tip: Where I've put 'very good' above I mean 'good'! You need a 'good' rating...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MollyMargulies
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Very well located metres off the harbour and one of the main shopping streets. The room was a "studio" apartment with everything required and more economical than a local hotel room. A basic but adequate continental breakfast was provided (a bonus not given in many "suites/hotel", but there are mini-market/baker/grocers around the block for extras if required. It helps if you have a little bit of French with the staff. They were very helpful and friendly. We paid extra for a harbour view - and you had to laugh as you could see the harbour down a little alley. No problems with Wifi on the second floor. Access to a front room was through a bit of a maze with some confusing stairs and corridors as the front of the building was a half floor out of phase with the lifts. OK if you've not got a lot of heavy gear. Could be a little noisy when they were emptying the bins outside in the early hours (nitpicking now). I would go back there.

Room Tip: If you can't do stairs at all, get a room at the back.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Thank Christopher Joh... S
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The only down side of this is the street it is on does not look that attractive HOWEVER one block away is everything Marseille has to offer.

The port is one block away. Restaurants are one block away. The tourist information office is 3 blocks away. The grocery store is 4 blocks away.

The room was comfortable, quiet and secure.

Room Tip: There are stairs. The one tip is your room key gets you into the front door. It took us a while to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple