“Poor information and organisation.”
Review of Icard Maritime

Icard Maritime
Ranked #33 of 86 Tours in Marseille
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Icard Maritime company. Embark on a stunning voyage with commentary to discover the geology, ecology and history of the world-famous Calanques, from Marseille to the bay of Cassis. Our comfortable and speedy boat takes you rapidly from the city to the foot of the beautiful cliffs. You will then enter the heart of different Calanques: Sormiou, Triperie, Morgiou, Sugiton, L'Oule, En Vau, Port-Pin, Port-Miou... Take your time to savour the surprising landscape, with its hidden creeks and crystal-clear waters, from the outside panoramic deck. Choose the morning departure to discover the sweet light of these magic places, the middle of the day to picnic aboard during the crossing, or the end of the afternoon to admire the sites in the fresh evening air!The visit lasts above 3h
Devon
868 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6,622 helpful votes
“Poor information and organisation.”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Mid October and a fine warm blue sky day with barely enough breeze to flutter the flags on the yachts in the Vieux Port. We came over to the booking office after breakfast to enquire about trips to the Calamques. We were interested in the 3pm basic trip at about €22 per adult. There were obviously a large number of other bookings but we decided to come back early to pay before boarding. Although the website warned that weather and navigation conditions, we were given no indication whatever that there were any problems on this day. We had seen at least two of the big boats from the company fleet coming and going on the previous days in similar or more blowy weather. When we arrived at the ticket office on the quay we were surrounded by a lot of unhappy looking customers most with their prebought tickets in their hands. The polite young man behind the counter simply said that the sailing was cancelled. I asked him if the three of four earlier trips on the day had gone and he admitted that none had. He tried to suggest that the problem was 'the wind' but became awkward and apparently embarrassed when asked by several French families whether it was because the bookings were not full. A lot of foreign couples, older folk and families of all nationalities and ages were disappointed and had to wait in a forlorn queue for repayment. This company should make its booking and trading policy clear and be realistic about the prospects of sailing. We wasted some time but others had travelled some distance. It cannot be beyond the wit of a modern and plainly busy and prosperous business to give more detailed I formation and alert passengers by text email or recorded telephone message if their tour has been cancelled. There are other Calamques boat operators. I suggest that you look at the choices before selecting one.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Jannerbloke

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Too many Calanques”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I took the 2 hr. essential boat tour and let me tell you..... The boat ride itself was beautiful and relaxing, especially after a 3 hr train ride from Paris. The view from the port made for some very nice photos for my album. They showed you the various important sites ( the cathedral and the Castle If). As we were out at sea, the scenery changes to that of the jagged coastline of Marseille and Cassis. The first couple of Calanques were pretty and great for photo sake, especially when they took you into the little cove areas where the locals/B&B were situated.
After the third Calanque, I was Calanqued-out! When you have seen three large rock formations that look relatively the same, you tend to get bored. By the 7th Calanque, I was ripping my hair out!!!!! I was grateful for the speedy return of the boat to port.
The commentary was all in French, I cannot blame them for that, we are tourists in their city, but at least they could have offered an audio guide. Also, just when you want to put your head back and relax while on the boat, the commentary comes on and is droning and never ending......for 2 hrs! Never ending................
It is cool to do one time and one time only, next time I visit, I might go to the beach instead and be able to swim in that beautiful water.
Things to know:
-If you burn easily, wear lots of sunscreen, people were looking like lobsters!!! (thankfully, I dont have that problem :)
-Be prepared for continual French commentary, bring earplugs or headphones if this will bother you.
-Maybe opt for the shorter circuit, 1.5 hrs or 1 hr I think, if you just want a little taste (believe me that's all you need to view these Calanques).

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Natalie R
Halifax, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“You've seen one, you've seen them all.”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was quite a disappointment for us. The trip to the calanques is long, and really, after the first one you see, there isn't a huge difference with the rest of them. We took the 3 hour/12 calanques tour. I must have missed a few of them because I only counted 7. The tour guide spoke in French, which is fine for us, however the boat is so loud we couldn't hear 90% of what was said. We were warned when we purchased our tickets that the sea was slightly "agite" and that while the trip out would be okay, the trip back might be a little rough. This was an understatement. Many people on the boat were sick and almost all of the rest were nauseated. We visited one of the calanques on the Frioul islands the day prior and it was definitely more impressive and far more memorable. There are some photo ops, however neither of us found that these photos were worth the three hours that were lost on this trip.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank KellyLeVasseur
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great experience !!!”
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We went for a two h trip to the calanques which was unforgetable !!! The team from Icard was really nice and helpful. The girl selling the tickets explained us in English (doesnt happen a lot there) the diference between all the trips. She was very profesional !! Just before getting on the boat another women warn us in a really friendly way that if we are delicat with the stomach is better to sit downstairs as the previous trip was shaking a lot. All the information on the boat are given in french but we have revived a folder with the map and pictures and description. Also during the trip the women from the staff was making sure that we enjoy it and giving us an information about things around!
I would try another trip with them next time!!!!!

2 Thank mandbviajes
Tequesta, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Good sightseeing in good weather”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We were there during the winter when they only run one trip per day - the 3 hour trip to the Calanques from Marseille to Cassis. It left on time, observed the planned route to Cassis and returned on time. The boat is big enough to be very comfortable up top or down below where you are protected from the wind and seas. The views are gorgeous and it is a nice way to spend the afternoon. Also great photo ops!
There were only two crew on boat and both spent all of the time in the wheel house. The announcements are soley in French, which we expected. They do hand out information sheets in various languages. We were able to get one in English that gives a little information on the different callanques.
They did not have any drinks or snacks on board to purchase, which I thought was strange for such a long boat ride - and they could make more money too! So bring a bottle of water and a snack.
There were two boat operators at the same location. We chose this one because he left earlier in the afternoon (1:30 pm) and lasted longer (3 hours). This cost 25 Euros per adult and $18 per child or $75 for a family of 4.
The guy next door cost only $19 Euros, but has a shorter cruise (2 hours), and left at 3:30 pm. (Although the following day I noticed he moved his time to 2:00 pm)

Visited February 2011