“Good Hotel "inside" in a not so nice street "outside"”

Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port
Ranked #17 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Mercure centre Hotel is a good Mercure Hotel, nice service inside. Well located, less than 5 minutes away from touristic area "le vieux port". Access street is not so nice at night, "strange" population may be encountered. This is the main con of this hotel, in my opinion. I went there on different occasions but never had a bad experience there, to say the truth.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DeniZinho
Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

There were several positives about the hotel and in some respects it beat our expectations a couple of probllems were signifcant enough to push it back down to average.
The location was better than we anticipated. It was a short walk to the Vieux Port - less than 5 minutes. The reception area and bar were bright and welcoming. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was generally OK although the wardrobe was on the small side. Extra hangers were provided at the second time of asking. We had a superb bottle of wine for only 20 Euros from the hotel bar. So good that we had another bottle on the following night(between 4 of us each time). We also had a dellicious but expensive salmon club sandwich from the bar.
But we had two problems with the room. The first and most important was that the beds were not that comfortable. So we didn't sleep as well as we should have. The second was with the bathroom where the bath had a plastic lip over the rim of the bath. This collected water as we showered and deposited it on the bathroom floor. Design for appearance sake with no thought regarding practicality.
But all in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

A short distance from the station, although we actually had a taxi. We were met by an extremely pleasant young female receptionist who knew that we were in fact staying one night & two nights over a four night period. We had quiet very practical rooms on the 3rd & 4th floors looking towards the Basilique Notre Dame. Good firm beds, kettle with some tea bags, TV that actually reduced the sound automatically when switched off, good bathroom, although shower over the bath - not my favourite.

A choice of breakfast, typical French - 4 Euros (weekdays near reception) & in main breakfast room on the second floor availble on Saturday & Sunday with full breakfact availble here.all week.

Whilst we had made a booking for a bouillabaise before our arrival in Marseille, the reception recommended a very good restaurant overlooking the Vieuw Port for another evening meal.Short distance to the old port & next to a large shopping centre - you can purchase extra water at La Fayette.

Well recommended

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Serge_KARLE, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

I thank you very much for your good feedback.

See you soon in Marseille.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

On the plus side:
+ Good and central location,
+ Private parking on site (was traveling with a motorbike so they didn't charge me -> very fair!
+ Hotel was comfortable and clean (what you would expect from a 4* hotel)

On the "down side"
- Poor wifi connection (at least in my room)
- A bit "impersonal" but well, it is a Mercure Hotel and at some point they all look alike

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Fonzarelly
Serge_KARLE, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest,
I thank you for your feedback, and I am gald you enjoyed your trip.
I will do a check about WIFI because it is normaly very good.
I hope you will come back in Marseille.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Central location,
clean, big rooms
nice view, only from top floors
bit doggy, surrounded by homeless people
cigarette smoke was ventilated to nonsmoking room via air condition
same breakfast every day with limited sortation

Room Tip: Choose on top floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Serge_KARLE, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience in the room about cigarette smoke. I will check what’s wrong about that.
I am surprised about the breakfast, because this is a big buffet with a lot of choice.
Anyway, I hope you will be back in our nice city.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Mrgargoyle
Serge_KARLE, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for a weekend. After booking I heard nothing but bad reports about Marseille. The area on arriving looked run down and a bit scarey. But the hotel was clean and the staff very accommodating. It was a very short walk into the port area and we explored the area on the tourist bus.
The room was clean and quite comfortable. The room has a safe and a fridge so we could have cold water to take out with us.
The breakfast was good, hot and cold selections available. Local pastries and jams were tempting.
If we ever go back to Marseille I would have no hesitation in booking here again.
We had a brilliant weekend in Marseille, even the sun shone.
A big thank you to the staff who were so helpful and cheerful.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fergy1980
Serge_KARLE, Directeur général at Mercure Marseille Centre Vieux Port, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear guest,
I am so glad you enjoyed your trip in Marseille, and I thank you for your good feedback, I will share with my staff all your compliments.
I hope to welcome you during your next trip.
See you soon.