“Go for the view”

Ranked #35 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Southport, United Kingdom
“Go for the view”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in May (Friday to Monday). The best thing about this hotel is the view! Waking up in the morning seeing boats and birds amidst 2 shades if blue, the sky and the sea.

Me and my now Fiancé came here for a romantic holiday and to just get away from it all. When you stay at the Petit Nice Passedat you really feel like your at this bottom of the world in your own little paradise.

I could praise the location and room all day so I'll stop while I'm ahead. We had 2 negatives, the first being the unserviceable hair dryer. We reported it on arrival and were assured it would be fixed on Saturday since they had no other hair dryers in the hotel. Come Monday morning when we left it was still broken.

Secondly we came back from a long day out at about 1800 having left at 11and our room was still being cleaned. Not a big deal we just went out and took in some more sights.

If you are on an average income like us the restaurant although glorious and faultless, is very pricey as you would expect. It's amazing but way out of our league. We grabbed a burger for 10 euros down the road :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London
Reviewed 4 October 2013

First point to make is that for supposed 5* status this hotel does not charge 5* accommodation prices! So although I question this status I also appreciate the price charged. My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and I would definitely advise the use of sat nav as it is very difficult to otherwise locate, situated down very narrow backstreets, but has secure parking. It is a wonderful, clean, spacious, elegant hotel and a cut above a standard 4*. The hotel entrance is so charming, with a glorious pool and terrace area overlooking the sea. Our room had an outstanding view which also overlooked the sea, and we never tired waking up to the ever-changing view, from the morning mist to the glorious mountains and tranquil blue of the ocean in the afternoon sun. It has to be said everything else paled in comparison to that view!! Bath robes and slippers were provided and the en suite was large and clean with all necessary toiletries. I was disappointed there was no wall fixed shower (just a hand held attachment) and admittedly some tiles were cracked and in need of attention. It was this detail which I felt at points let it down. Otherwise the room was gorgeous, with air con, an amazingly comfortable bed, water provided, large flat screen tv, free wifi and a mini bar. The staff were friendly, well presented and attentive, although they did not give us information on how to use the key fob for entrance back into the hotel, directions on exit and into town or any general information on the hotel, ie restaurant bookings/porter/valet service which I thought would have been a prerequisite for guests upon arrival. I think this was largely due to the fact we arrived on a Monday and the Michelin star restaurant was closed, which meant the staff were somewhat relaxed in comparison to when it was open. This was strikingly evident when we compared the level of service we received in the hotel (far superior) when the michelin star restaurant opened the following day. We also made the mistake of walking into Marseille from the hotel, thinking it was only a short walk! In fact it was at least half an hour in the baking sunshine with no shelter! I would bear this in mind and recommend getting a taxi :-) A very surprising, and much appreciated touch which I loved was that on returning to our hotel room after dinner the room had been prepared for the evening - curtains closed, lamps on, duvet turned down and slippers in place by the bed. My favourite part being that 'midnight snacks' were provided; small segments of chocolate, cake and fruit. Unfortunately onto a negative - we requested an iron in order for my husband to iron his shirt for dinner that evening. No iron?! We were told by staff the maid had left with the key to the room where the iron was held, but on her return the next day it would be left in our room. However, when once again it was requested the following day we were informed it was broken. I cannot fathom how a hotel cannot have a working iron, especially when guests would surely be expected to visit the restaurant in a presentable manner? This was a real let down for us. Back to positive... breakfast... WOW! Mouth wateringly good! Stunning airy and light breakfast room, an array of delectable food. Strawberries, fruit, cereal, brioche, bread, croissants, cake, cheeses, hot and cold breakfast menu. Breakfast was the highlight of my day here and I spent a leisurely couple of hours making the most of it. Our waiter here, an older gentleman was beyond wonderful and the dog Favoir was adorable.We ate dinner in the restaurant one evening and the service was top notch, as was the food, with knowledgable and attentive staff. Overall a hotel with truly wonderful aspects but a few elements to be worked on.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jade V
sydney
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Some of the reviews here are really unfair. This is not the Hilton Dallas. It is a turn of the century building built on a cliff with an annex. The view and situation are stunning beyond perfection. Maybe the arrivals should smile at the staff. Our staff were charming and delightful albeit formal, but this is France. They carried our bags, gave us multiple keys, and were delightful in every way and very good looking. even the man who parks the car was lovely. We had a bottle of wine in the room and there was a bit of a fiasco about the corkscrew but we got there. The pool and terrace were immaculate. The room is not new but it is clean and fresh and the linens were good. The breakfast was delicious. I ordered a special eggs and it was one of the best I have had anywhere. They might have had an extra boy on service but apart from that it was spectacular. The little winter garden as you walk in is delightful. when you travel do nor expect everywhere to be claridges or the Hyatt. This has charm and the food was fabulous.

Room Tip: request a terrace
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peterwoollahra
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed at Passedat as a solo traveller on a one night stay last fall, and cannot express how rudely, coldly, and manipulatively I was treated. Granted, the room (on the other side of the alley separating the main ediface) was lovely, and the view was dramatic and memorable (thus, 2 stars). Everything else was appalling. I hadn't made a restaurant reservation, but was tired and expected to enjoy a salad and a glass of wine on the patio. After about an hour of huffing objection from the front desk, I was told I could be served at room service a la carte prices. 85 euro for the above! I was eventually requested a recommendation for a good bistro serving seafood along the waterfront, and was sent to an acceptable place that I enjoyed. What I did not enjoy was the 60 euro round trip cab fare to go to the concierge's friend's restaurant.
Arrogant and unjustifyably cold service, all around. Relais and Chateux should be ashamed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cycle11
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This is not your average hotel, when you arrive you really feel you are in the south of France. You open your window and you see the yachts, the cliffs and the beaches. There's not much point staying in an international chain hotel when you are in a city like Marseille, you need to give something like this a go. The restaurant was pretty good, although the location, as good as it is on the water, is a fair way from the center of town so you will need a taxi.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Friendly welcome, early access to the room. Large, elegant and well appointed. Now, of course, none of this is at bargain prices but this is a unique place. Stylish and elegant building, surrounded by the water yet still in an urban environment. To be sure, the room prices subsidise the restaurant but 3 michelin star outfits do not make much economic sense (count the staff in the kitchen). And the food is egregiously good: delicate, simple, subtle. All the staff were friendly and the gentleman at breakfast was particularly helpful. Pool is small but this is not Vegas scale. Overall a rare treat. One final word: do not be put off by certain comments on Marseilles. Poppycock. Marseilles is one of the world's great cities, up there with Naples, Rio or Barcelona. It is no dirtier than Paris or London. If your benchmark is Dubai or Singapore, you may be disappointed but this port has soul. And this year is great time to visit: all spruced up and with stunning new buildings a plenty. Come June, they may actually be open.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The restaurant:

A spectacular dinner. Good service from the main dining room waiting staff. Lovely view. Well worth the dinner bill.

Breakfast food was very nice, but the morning shift staff were poor. We were first ones down for breakfast on the terrace. Surprise from the waiters, who had stood there watching us try to scare the filthy pigeons away because they were walking over the napkins and cutlery on the tables, when we asked for fresh cutlery. Despite complaints to the waiters, and then the hotel receptionist, nothing was done about the other tables.

The guest rooms and the rest:

It seemed to us that clever photography on their website makes the rooms/suites look good. What we experienced outside the photos was tatty and dated. Dated can be charming and quirky; here it was not. The impression is that the owner is too mean or disinterested to care about the residential side.

The bathroom was bad. Faulty air conditioning was not repaired despite daily complaints. Only one set of keys (for your room and the locked gates and doors between the buildings) per couple.

Comments and requests met with indifference and inaction.

The pool size was OK but the cleanliness and upkeep was poor. The sea was a more inviting prospect until we experienced the gauntlet of the walkway that stank of urine and was filthy with rubbish and dog turds.

Room Tip: Can't help here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple