“Good hostel - really bad location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marseille
Auberge de Jeunesse Marseille Bois-Luzy
New Delhi, India
“Good hostel - really bad location”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

After hearing a horror story of a friend being mugged after being shown a shotgun on the way to this hostel located in one corner of the city, we were extremely afraid of reaching the hostel late in the night. The hostel is at one end of the city at the end of the metro line. The path leading to the hostel is deserted and not properly lit up (Although there is a police station on the way).

The hostel is located atop a hill and has a nice view from the hostel windows. It is converted out of a chateau so has a nice feel to it. The hostel will provide you entrance codes to the main door as well as the outside gate if you plan to arrive late and you mail them. The breakfast was one of the best we've had in hostels in Europe. However, the bathrooms were really smelly and were a tad too less in numbers.

The staff was really curteous though, gave us a map and explained what we should do throughout the day. If you can search for a better option (There is a famous hostels in Marseilles as far as I know) well and good, otherwise this is also a good option. But do go to Marseilles, especially for Callanques.

Room Tip: Take a bunk bed near the window facing the sea and the cathedral - you will wake up to a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SerendipityIndia

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The rooms of 6 beds were not only tiny but really dirty and smelly. Dust was almost everywhere and in the 1 week that we stayed the only thing the cleaning lady did was to empty the trash! The showers and toilletes were also dirty enough and hmm the breakfast I can say it was really poor.

The worst thing though is that is in the middle of nowhere ,around 20 min walk from the nearest metro station and no shops around ,only houses. The policy that the was there "one key per room of 6 people" was crazy and they were locking the outside door from 10 at night. One time we came back after 10 and the one that had the key wasn't with us, we rang the bell to enter the hostel and the owner was mad at us because we bothered him! Crazy!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dina D

Travellers are raving about these Marseille hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 1 December 2008

In the three months that I backpacked around Europe I did not stay in any place that came close to how bad this hostel was! It was a subway ride and then a bus ride out of the city centre which took about 30mins. The last bus to the hostel is at 8:30pm, and the hostel's curfew is 11:30pm. They also had a lock out in the day from 10am - 5pm. There was nothing around the hostel except for houses (no shops, no food places, I mean absolutely nothing!). The staff were extremely rude and unhelpful! Even when I spoke to them in French they acted like I was too hard to understand and wouldn't help me (this was just to check in when I arrived). I could count the number of travellers I saw staying there on one hand, it was completely deserted, so don't expect any atmosphere. Initially I had booked two nights but after the first night I left and looked for another hostel (I ended up paying double for a hotel room, soooo worth it!). I couldn't imagine spending another night in Bois Luzy!! Just think of the hotel in the movie The Shining. It looked like it from the outside and it felt like it on the inside! Don't be sucked in by the cheap price, it's cheap because it's terrible!

• Liked — absolutely nothing!
  • Disliked — location, staff, facilities, basically everything!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank elle351
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2005

I haven't been to Bois-Luzy for a long while , but it still lives in my memory as the best Hostel in Europe and I stayed in at least 20 of them.
This Hostel is the Real example of the pre Revolutionary France that was owned by some rich Marquis who drove through the streets of Marseille with his coach and six running down the children of the poor.
Le Chef is one of the most jovial friendly old guys I ever met in a hostel.
He had good advice and wisdom for all. I stayed there in November and enjoyed the luxury of the Fairy Tail Bedrooms with 20 foot casement windows overlooking le Vieux Port si charment!!
After a long cold ride on an English Matchless Motorcycle all the way from Spain , the endless hot water and the huge soft beds were like Heaven after hell. I never slept so well in my life.
I was awaken in the morning (maybe 8:00 AM by the haunting sound of Shubert's 8th (Unfinished) Symphony (Yes, the Smurf theme)
The Humungous Kitchen of the Chateau had every possible impliment for cooking and four huge Gas ranges. And all was in "Giant" size. The ceilings were 16 feet high, if an inch, and the tables were Castle size .
Pots abounded and we could cook anything we could drag in.
Down the steps of the Chateau was a little street with patisseries and Boulangers that sold Kronenburg Beer in Liter bottles with corks for 50cents US each.and Baguettes for a quarter(1Fr) and Moroccan oranges for a dime each. These extras added spice and life to the meals we cooked in the big Kichen on the hill.
a ten minute bus ride on number (8or 13) bus takes you from Le vieux Port to St Barnaby and Bois Luzy.
Returning in July-August of the next summer, we camped in the garden and used the kitchen and the showers etc. as was warm out .
A Swedish or German guy treated 25 people to his "Farmer's Omlette" for dinner withe gallons of red wine and fruit for desert.
The very walls of the hostel are decorated with real Mozaics of the Pre Revolution Days. The stairwell in the main lobby has the nicest one.
Le grand Chef is a reasonable guy who has been a wonderful Hostel Keeper for almost 40 years . He must be almost 80 now. Please give him some gredit for keeping this jewel of Louis Seize for us to enjoy and help him out a little.
As for the complainers : Let Them Eat Cake!!
Vive le Grand Chef!!!!! !!!!
David J, Potter