“Nice Hotel in good location”

Grand Tonic Hotel Vieux Port
Ranked #100 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Nice Hotel in good location”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a room facing the court yard which is probably a bonus both cost wise and definatly noise wise considering the traffic outside.Check in was quick and efficient and I found the room big enough and the bathroom was also big.I wish that during their renovation they would have switched the bath tub to a shower cubicle as it's a bit difficult to enter for a shower.I was given quick and easy assistance to enter their free WIFI service.Breakfast is good and varied

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Belgium
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is at the Vieux Port, perfect location. That is, if you get a room on the street side... Most rooms are on the back side, so your view could be a big concrete wall, or some laundry hanging out... Rooms have been renovated, and are fine. Still, i find them overpriced, like most of the hotels in Marseille.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the Tonic from June 4th through June 6th 2014. I was impressed from the moment I walked in the front door. The check in process was fantastic and the young man at the front desk was so professional. Not only did he check me in promptly he asked if I needed any directions, or any advice on what to do or see. He offered me a map, I have never had a hotel in Europe offer me this much Customer Service when I checked in.

The hallways were clean and smelled very good. I stayed in room 104. This room had a great view of the Old Port and was very large. The bathroom was very updated and modern. Nice sink area with lots of room for my toiletries. There was a full bathtub and shower. The tub was a Jacuzzi tub.

The closet was very large with lots of space to hang clothes, and lots of shelves for storage. There was a safe in the closet, with extra pillows and blankets as well.
The bed room was also large with two twin beds. There was a desk and flat screen TV and a small refrigerator with mini bar and water to buy. The room has a small area with a luggage rack and a full length mirror. This room and hotel well exceeded my expectations.

Each morning I had breakfast in the restaurant. Very nice and excellent service once again. There were both hot items (eggs, potatoes, beacon) and cereal and fruit and lots of bread.

The best rooms at this hotel would be 102,103, & 104. This hotel has the best service and best price I have seen in a long time.

Room Tip: Best rooms that face the Port 102,103,104.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MJRLdal
Narbonne, France
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the hotel. Nice staff and location was superb. Bathroom was of really bad standard althow the tub was nice. Hotel in great need of frechening up. Dull reception and breakfast too expencive even for France.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anders N
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel prior to a cruise. The location is superb, on the Vieux Port and next to the Vieux Port metro station.
The staff were very helpful.
Considering the location, the room was a good size and of a reasonable standard. Bathroom was large, however may gave seen better days. The location, size of the rooms and staff would mean I would probably consider the hotel as an option if staying in Marseille.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Cmalone857
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The hotel is musty, smelly, dirty…really the stay was quite uncomfortable. The location is amazing, it's right on the port in the old town. It was rated 4 stars but that's on location alone, not the hotel, that's for sure. I would not stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank javafinch
DELTONA
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We had to change our reservation several times as Rail Europe kept changing their reservation policy or timeline. When we finally were able to make our train reservations we finalized our hotel reservation. We thought something strange of the desk clerk, who also appeared to be in management, made mention of the room rate immediate upon pour arrival. Never had that happen with any hotel either in Europe or the US. Any way we were charged for the most expensive room in the hotel although we had not requested that and the web-site did not even show such a category when we made our reservation. I did not dispute this or argue as it was our anniversary trip and my wife like our room. So be it! Now the breakfast...For 14 Euro's...You must be kidding. DO NOT BUY THEIR BREAKFAST...IT IS A TOTAL RIP-OFF! Super 8 in the US provides a better breakfast and it is included in the cost of your room. This breakfast was so incomplete unless rolled up bacon and potatoes is your ideal start to your morning. Okay, there was day or maybe two day old croissants and really old donuts. The coffee was pretty good however you had to run the waitress down to get a second cup. 28 Euro's for day old pastries and... Rip off city on this hotel site. Mold and mildew was not only obvious but prevalent in the bathroom and shower. Better hotels with equal views are available and for the same or less
price. I should have realized when we arrived and the front door was literally next to the front door of McDonald's what we were in for.

Room Tip: Look at the other hotels in the vicinity.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple