“A great place to stay!”

Ranked #68 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Toronto, Canada
“A great place to stay!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was concerned when I saw the reviews on Tripadvisor regarding this hotel, but couldn't do anything about it as we had already booked the place. Maybe the hotel has had a facelift in the year since the last review, because I thought it was a great place!

The room was not small (typical for France), very clean, there was ample hot water, a lovely balcony, a fridge, hot plate, dishwasher, microwave and all crockery. The staff were amazing and so encouraging of me practising my French! The hotel is in a very good area in Marseille (safe and well to do, but not a lot of people. We felt safe though) with good bus service (that ends pretty early...but that's the city's fault!). There's a nice pool and you are steps away from the beach and a good supermarket and bakery. There were no nice restaurants in the area though. Be sure to take the bus to the vieux port that takes the coastal route - very pretty! By bus, it's about 20-30 min from downtown but it's a comfortable ride.

I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the park.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WorldTraveller448

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The people working at the hotel were very nice and helpful. I stayed there for only one night out of the seven nights I had booked because I was assaulted by a large gang of 20-30 teenagers on the night bus, number 519, on Rue des Mousses, Marseilles on 21.6.13, at 21.50pm.

They wouldn't let me off the bus, so I missed my stop. Two seated women kindly tried to intervene told the youths that I wanted to get off. The boys starting pulling my hair and poking me, and I thought I would be mugged. I managed to squeeze my way to the doors when they opened, and as I was stepping off, a girl pushed me off so I fell hard towards the pavement. I turned around to confront them, and was met with a wall of hateful abuse, then a girl hit me in the face and my glasses went flying, and I couldn't see. The bus doors must have closed and gone on its way, while I was searching for my glasses.

I have reported the incident to the British Consulate. The police were mainly attending to a music festival in the centre of the city. I am concerned about other tourists or local people travelling in Marseilles in the evening, unaware of bullying cowards on public transport.

The hotel is quite far from the main station and centre of town, and you would need to use public transport a lot. If you are travelling alone, this could be a problem.

The hotel itself was a bit shabby, with significant moth holes in the curtains, but the staff were very helpful, so I probably wouldn't have minded that much.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank venture49

Travellers are raving about these Marseille hotels

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Only a few hundred yards from Prado beach and park and a large supermarket (the Casino). Lovely warm outside swimming pool and excellent service from the staff. My wife was using a wheelchair most of the time and they couldn't be more helpful. Their excellent English meant my dreadful French didn't cause any problems at all. We are looking forward to returning there again next year. Ideal for a beach based holiday or as a base to travel from (Metro line 2 and bus stops are very close by) but we didn't think much of Marseille itself as a City (Montpellier and Nimes are our favourites still) but the gravel beach (man-made from the diggings resulting from building the Metro) was very clean and while not as comfortable as sand was very nice to spend a few hours soaking up the sun and reading a book!

Other reviews have mentioned that the décor and cleanliness were a little lacking, however for a budget hotel I thought the standard was very reasonable. It wasn't dirty in the corridors or in our room and okay the décor and wall tiles maybe would benefit from an uplift and some replacement but for the price we are more than happy.

The kitchenette had two hobs, separate electric kettle, microwave, fridge, coffee maker and a dishwasher as well as the expected cutlery/crockery, saucepans, bowls etc. The bathroom had towels and soaps/shampoos supplied but since we were staying for 4 nights there was no housekeeping. If you stay 1-3 nights you get housekeeping every day included, from 4-7 nights (I think) there is none supplied and for 8+ days it is charged per clean.We had a very comfortable double sofa bed - don't be put off since the sofa bed was very solid and wasn't one of the flimsy types that roll every time the other person moves or folds in the middle when you try to move - very comfortable and no problems with it at all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple