“Perfect location, amazing staff and budget-friendly”

Ibis Budget Marseille Vieux Port
Ranked #47 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is located right in the beautiful area of the Vieux Port. If you kindly ask to the staff, they can even give you a room on the 6th or 7th floor, which will give you an amazing view on the Vieux Port itself. Combine that with budget-friendly rates, and you have the best value-for-money in Marseille.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th or 7th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The best price, hotel position and very good condition including a parking lot for a small car. Very recommended to whom is looking for just a place to rest in peace at night after a perfect tour in that great city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tsotti
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed there 3 nights. I was traveling with my little kid who's 1 year and a half, so we needed a crib for him to sleep. During our "European Tour" we had the same thing with all the hotels we stayed in and none of them ask us for anything (including many hotels where of the Ibis chain) as a deposit for providing the crib. Here it was different, they asked me for an ID and the only thing I have on me at that time was my passport. After my check out they forgot to give the passport back and i forgot to ask for it. Took a train that would take us out of Marseille to Paris to pick a plane out of France and half way during this trip I discovered that I didn't have my passport, so we had to get off the train and get back to Marseille with my family to get my passport back. This problem costed me 380 euros.
I know that not asking for my passport was my own fault but the hotels should have given the passport back as soon as I returned the crib.
So I urge the hotel to change that policy. If they need a deposit ask for something else other than an ID. For locals and french people might not be that big of a deal to forget an ID but for a foreigner it might be a dissaster.
About the hotel per se it was OK, peoples there were very nice. The location is great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We recently stayed here for one night and have to say that we were less than impressed. Granted, we didn't expect the world given that it is budget accommodation but the experience was not pleasant.
We found the reception staff to be rude and unhelpful. They appeared to merely do the bare minimum in terms of checking us in and were not even able to manage a smile.
The room was basic and clean however, we were woken up in the middle of night by water dripping from the air conditioning unit into our suitcases. The shower was also poorly designed such that flooding the bathroom was unavoidable unless you wanted to shower using a trickle of water.
While the location was great, but we would not stay here again or for more than one night if there was nothing else available.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

the location is excellent, 50 yards from the Old Port, less than a mile from most of the sights, among them La Cannebiere and the Cathedral, hotel parking is very limited and hardly accesible, but there is a big garage just below the hotel.
The rooms are designed as to give you a most comfortable sleep, a clean bathroom and shower without a lot of useless and unnecesary decoration. The breakfast is simple and slightly overprized so if you are not in a hurry you better order a ham and cheese sandwich and cafe creme in one of the nearby bakeries or cafes. Before you leave you may want to have a look at the inner courtyard and the outside of the building from below and you may still recognize in how much history you have slept. This hotel will always be our number one in Marseille because the only thing you would expect from a hotel in this livelely city is a good night's sleep after a long exciting day, - and you'll get it in spite of the noise in the busy streets.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Due to a problem in my credit card my reservation (made and confirmed online 2 months prior to the arrival) was canceled without notice. I only realised this situation when I arrived at the hotel at 10pm. The hotel was full and little effort was made by the staff to solve the situation.

Only one of the staff members speaked english (poorly). The manager did not speak at all and was clearly more concerned about going home than to solve the situation. The only solution found was to spend the night at ibis budget in the airport (20 km away from the city center).

I realised that when a reservation is made online in the accor website the credit card data is not tested at that moment. Despite this fact accor sends an email confirming the reservation!!!!!
In my case the hotel only checked the credit card in the morning of my arrival. As consequence my reservation was canceled immediatly and sold to somebody else.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Room Tip: Very good - the bathroom is a bit snug, but manageable!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple