“Substandard ibis Budget in convenient location”

Ibis Budget Marseille Vieux Port
Ranked #52 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Munich, Germany
“Substandard ibis Budget in convenient location”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

ibis Budget Marseille Vieux Port is a below-average ibis Budget that in multiple aspects does not meet the chain standards. It does sit on a convenient location, and is quiet. It is not well-maintained, however, and suffers from some operational problems.

This ibis Budget is mere 300m or 5 minutes of walk away from the Vieux-Port Hôtel de Ville metro station, and Vieux Port (the old port) is just 3 small blocks to the north. Many sights of interest as well as the Centre Bourse Shopping Center and Rue St-Ferréol (for shopping) are within walking distance. Rue Sainte, the street it faces, is rather dank, riddled with trash, and smells of urine stench, but it is fairly safe and runs in parallel to the touristy Cours Honoré d'Estienne d'Orves. The location isn’t idyllic or romantic but certainly practical for sightseeing.

Our room had the green ibis Budget “cocoon”-style furnishing; a bunk bed, a small desk, a plastic chair, etc. all integrated together with the lighting system. The lower bunk sleeps two, and the upper bunk sleeps one. The room was slightly larger than some of the standard ibis hotel rooms and was very quiet. Both the room and the bathroom were clean where it is usually used… meaning, it is not so clean where it is usually not used or looked at. It was quite dusty on the upper bunk bed, on parts of toilet flush handle, and on top of the toilet paper holder, for instance. We were not surprised at the absence of hair dryer, but were dumbfounded by the absence of toilet brush. The room door was heavy, and loud thumping sound reverberated through the corridor whenever someone closed their door.

There were other symptoms of mismanagement. The midrise building has only one elevator, shared by guests and staffs. During the day, staffs with trolleys would keep occupying the small elevator, and we once had to wait twenty minutes. We often had to wait several minutes for the elevator door to open, only to find a staff with a trolley nonchalantly motioning to wait further. Leaving the luggage for a while after the check-out involves going down one floor from the lobby (more elevator fun) and spending EUR 2 per a coin locker, some of which are broken and overall doesn’t look so reassuring. The receptionists we met spoke rudimentary English and were mechanical. They actually did not know that there were TV installation works going on in some floors, and assigned rooms in those floors to new arrivals, leading to confusion among both the guests and installation workers.

To summarize, ibis Budget Marseille Vieux Port is an economy chain hotel whose convenient location and quiet rooms are more than offset by the lack of customer-centric management and streamlined operation. It is not up to the standard set by other ibis Budget properties and many other budget-friendly hospitality businesses.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel is located right in the beautiful area of the Vieux Port. If you kindly ask to the staff, they can even give you a room on the 6th or 7th floor, which will give you an amazing view on the Vieux Port itself. Combine that with budget-friendly rates, and you have the best value-for-money in Marseille.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 6th or 7th floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Curitiba, Brazil
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The best price, hotel position and very good condition including a parking lot for a small car. Very recommended to whom is looking for just a place to rest in peace at night after a perfect tour in that great city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Tsotti
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed there 3 nights. I was traveling with my little kid who's 1 year and a half, so we needed a crib for him to sleep. During our "European Tour" we had the same thing with all the hotels we stayed in and none of them ask us for anything (including many hotels where of the Ibis chain) as a deposit for providing the crib. Here it was different, they asked me for an ID and the only thing I have on me at that time was my passport. After my check out they forgot to give the passport back and i forgot to ask for it. Took a train that would take us out of Marseille to Paris to pick a plane out of France and half way during this trip I discovered that I didn't have my passport, so we had to get off the train and get back to Marseille with my family to get my passport back. This problem costed me 380 euros.
I know that not asking for my passport was my own fault but the hotels should have given the passport back as soon as I returned the crib.
So I urge the hotel to change that policy. If they need a deposit ask for something else other than an ID. For locals and french people might not be that big of a deal to forget an ID but for a foreigner it might be a dissaster.
About the hotel per se it was OK, peoples there were very nice. The location is great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ibis Hotels

Florence, Italy
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We recently stayed here for one night and have to say that we were less than impressed. Granted, we didn't expect the world given that it is budget accommodation but the experience was not pleasant.
We found the reception staff to be rude and unhelpful. They appeared to merely do the bare minimum in terms of checking us in and were not even able to manage a smile.
The room was basic and clean however, we were woken up in the middle of night by water dripping from the air conditioning unit into our suitcases. The shower was also poorly designed such that flooding the bathroom was unavoidable unless you wanted to shower using a trickle of water.
While the location was great, but we would not stay here again or for more than one night if there was nothing else available.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Marseille hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 27 May 2014

the location is excellent, 50 yards from the Old Port, less than a mile from most of the sights, among them La Cannebiere and the Cathedral, hotel parking is very limited and hardly accesible, but there is a big garage just below the hotel.
The rooms are designed as to give you a most comfortable sleep, a clean bathroom and shower without a lot of useless and unnecesary decoration. The breakfast is simple and slightly overprized so if you are not in a hurry you better order a ham and cheese sandwich and cafe creme in one of the nearby bakeries or cafes. Before you leave you may want to have a look at the inner courtyard and the outside of the building from below and you may still recognize in how much history you have slept. This hotel will always be our number one in Marseille because the only thing you would expect from a hotel in this livelely city is a good night's sleep after a long exciting day, - and you'll get it in spite of the noise in the busy streets.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Due to a problem in my credit card my reservation (made and confirmed online 2 months prior to the arrival) was canceled without notice. I only realised this situation when I arrived at the hotel at 10pm. The hotel was full and little effort was made by the staff to solve the situation.

Only one of the staff members speaked english (poorly). The manager did not speak at all and was clearly more concerned about going home than to solve the situation. The only solution found was to spend the night at ibis budget in the airport (20 km away from the city center).

I realised that when a reservation is made online in the accor website the credit card data is not tested at that moment. Despite this fact accor sends an email confirming the reservation!!!!!
In my case the hotel only checked the credit card in the morning of my arrival. As consequence my reservation was canceled immediatly and sold to somebody else.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo