“Good Place to Stay in the Center of Marseilles”

Residhome Appart Hotel Saint-Charles
Ranked #28 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Sierra Vista, AZ
“Good Place to Stay in the Center of Marseilles”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The hotel rooms were clean and spacious, the bedding most comfortable, and the free wi-fi superfast. The corridors smelled like tobacco smoke, but the rooms themselves did not. My husband, adult daughter and I stayed here and so I'm basing this on the two rooms we had (on two different floors). The hotel is in a great location to explore Marseilles, but will probably be more enjoyable once the construction across the street from it is completed. We paid the 8 Euro fee for parking and were so surprised by the security of the parking garage - garages, actually. Upon checking in they give you a fob and two keys on a key ring. You will use the fob to open the outside garage door on the parking garage. Once inside, you will look for your assigned parking garage - yes, a garage within a garage. You will open this door with one of the keys on the ring and after parking your car you again lock the garage door. Pretty secure to be sure. Upon exiting the garage you will use the second key to open the gates to exit the garage walkways so you can enter the street, adjacent to the hotel. All this as a security measure made me wonder about the neighborhood, especially since it looked a bit run down and is very near the train station. But, safety wasn't a problem. We walked to dinner that night and returned home about 11:30 p.m. - and felt very safe in doing so.

The hotel offered breakfast for 10 Euro per person but we elected not to do that and instead grabbed a croissant and coffee at the brasserie across the street from the train station.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2013

After reading several other reviews I honestly was quite worried about staying at this hotel ... however, what negative comments I read below was not at all what I experienced. It was completely clean and comfortable. Everything looked brand new in the room and was more than expected. Big spacious room, nice little balcony, big bed, good sized bathroom, a mini kitchen, and even a closet to hang things up in... free wifi, and very very secure parking. We couldn't believe it was so good and all for such a low price. No, there is not 'housekeeping service' each day but that was not an issue for us whatsoever. The location is quite good ... we didn't mind walking for about 15min to get to the Old Port. Yes the area is a bit more scary at night time, but this can be said for ALL areas of Marseille - even the Old Port (which I encountered in the daytime). If you come to Marseille, I suggest staying here! Just be smart to not get yourself into trouble and come back to the hotel at a reasonable time (9pm ish).

Residhome Marseille Saint Charles was a great stay and I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank britalexis
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Nice cheap aparthotel in the center of Marseille. Only 3 minuts walk to main railway station and 10 minuts walk to old port. Clean and very well equipted rooms with balcony. Breakfast is not included. Good point to discover Marseille and Provance.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moscovite2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Last week me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel in Marseille for 7nights. It was one of the worse experiences of our lives (maybe the worst). Everything was going well until the 3rd day, when everything happened.

We left a suitcase, samsonite, which had three locks (two opened by a key and one by number sequence), with our safe money (because I've heard Marseille was a dangerous city and if they robbed us our visa's we'd had some money in order to manage the situation) inside.

Once we've got back, for our surprise and extreme shock the suitcase had been opened and the money was ALL gone! And it wasn't a small amount…

Plus, the person who robbed us broke our home key that was laying on the desk to force the suitcase lockers, and probably must have hurt her/himself because there was blood scattered all over the room...

The only possibility to enter the hotel and the rooms is using a magnetic card. There are three levels of safety only opened with magnetic card: the hotel door, the lift and the chamber door. Which means that it had to be someone from the hotel. Curiously the only day the maid was supposed to clean our room...

As if this inadmissible situation wasn't enough we had to wait the whole weekend to talk with the manager (because this happened on a friday).

It seems to me that a hotel that works 24/7 should have a responsible person to deal with these kind of situations… Really sad.

On monday the manager refused to refund us or to took any responsibility, arguing that they had sub-hired a maid enterprise and that the responsability was theirs. So she called to the maid enterprise and they refused to refund us until the case is solved by the police (what should happen within 3 months, because Marseille has a big "Crime-scene" as they said, and because of that DNA samples from our room will take months to be analyzed…).

After all this the manager argued also that we should've put the money on their personal safe, but who would guarantee me that if someone had access to the magnetic cards why wouldn't that someone have access to a reset code of the safes.

At the end our holidays were ruined, we had no suitcase to go back to the airport so we had to buy a new one, we had no key to enter in our home back in our country, and the hotel staff didn't even make a little effort to minimize all the bad impressions they had caused. All the neglect, indifference and deresponsibilization it is quite shameful of them. I wouldn't recommend you to stay here. At all!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank bbsmm
Cassis, France
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I work at the university in Marseille and a colleague who was visiting us got a very bad experience. He had his bag in the room, and while he was away the bag was open and completely broken, the money inside was stolen. Worse then this, the menager of the hotel refused to give any compensation, not even a new bag for his travel back home. Definitely to avoid.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Kecchina
Saint-Étienne, Rhone-Alpes, France
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I really enjoyed my stay in the Residhome appart Hotel in Marseille. It was really well equipped and beutifully furnished. I would definitely book with this company again! It was right beside the train station and touristy things but quite far from a nightlife.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Deirdre11od
Scotland
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I popped on here to write my review as I stayed in this hotel on Friday night. I stupidly didnt book accomodation and arrived from the airport alone about 6pm to find a hotel. After 5 or 10 minutes wandering around I got the feeling that I wasn't safe and should try to find a more upmarket hotel pronto. I agree this area does seem to have a lot of men lurking around as I am quite unobservant but I noticed this. Anyway after asking what seemed to be the only woman in sight she directed me to this aparthotel. I was on a very tight budget but at this point I didnt care what it cost. I think it was a bargain at just over £60 for the night. The studio was immaculate with beautiful decor in minimalist style with a little balcony and the bed,pillows and duvet were so comfy. There was a little kitchen and plush bathroom with Residhome toileteries and also slippers. I felt very safe in the hotel itself as you can only use the lift with an active room keycard. Instead of exploring Marseille in the evening I stayed put in the hotel, only venturing out to McDs (like the other recent reviewer) as the nearer takeaway cafe was selling horse steak burgers and liver burgers. Im quite an adventurous eater but those were not to my liking. Next day I took a wander around the shopping area and old port though on reading the other reviews it was maybe a bit brave of me. Just before I left the hotel about 6pm Saturday a chinese guest and his wife went to find a supermarket nearby but came back 5 minutes later very distressed as he had been robbed by someone passing on a motorcycle, whipping his bag from his shoulder. It luckily didnt contain his money but their passports and driving license and the poor couple were distraught as they had just arrived (so a similar story to the other reviewer). I think the hotel is great value for 2 or 4 guests and is very luxurious. The staff are lovely and it is in a very convenient location, next to bus and rail station and a few minutes walk to old port and shopping. I had been considering going back there again sometime but now unsure due to the fact that my instincts about the area seemed correct. I think maybe all major cities can be like this though and you have to be very careful. It's not really fair to mark this aparthotel down because of the area so I have rated it excellent.

Room Tip: There are some studios with terraces instead of balconies on 6th floor and corner one bedroom apartm...