All reviewsle pharogreat hotelthe bell boyvieux portold portminute walkquirky hotelmini barmain roadsuperior roomconvenient locationbars and restaurantscoffee machineport areanotre dameharbourarty
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Nice and cool hotel in Marseille. Good-sized rooms and smartly decorated. The common areas are spacious and full of light. Nice swimming pool. The Le Pharo area is very convenient, close to both the Old Port and one of the beaches (Les Catalanes). The park next door is very nice as well, specially if you have kids. The ideal is to try to get a room with a terrace, since the view + the extra space is worth the price difference.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms with a terrace.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Guest.
Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad you had a nice stay in our hotel and you enjoyed the perfect location of our hotel. It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you again when you are back in Marseille.
Warm regards.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We loved the convenient location for the conference we attended, Excellent staff, friendly and helpfull. Room was very comfortable. Only problem was that the Breakfast was not up to the standart we had expexted.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest.
We are glad to learn you had a nice stay in our hotel. We are sorry that the breakfast didn't match your expectations. We have taken note of your remarks to improve our services. Please don't hesitate to come back to our hotel when you are back to Marseille.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I spent 5 nights in this hotel for a holiday in Marseille in August 2013. I selected it as one of the closest to the Vieux Port with a swimming pool for a reasonable price.

The hotel has real character including some very modern art work that you definitely would not find in a large chain. I particularly liked the swimming pool and sun terrace. It was a real pleasure to swim in the pool after a hot days sightseeing, it was nice to find that the pool was a reasonable size.

The hotel is well located - about a 10-15 minute walk to the Vieux Port and there are also buses outside which go both to the Vieux Port and along the corniche to the beaches, which is a journey I would definitely recommend. There are also electric "navette" minibuses outside the hotel for €0.50 will take you to the Vieux Port or the Fort St Jean/MUCEM during the day. The Parc de Pharo with its excellent views is immediately opposite.

In general I was very happy with my room. I would prefer a genuine double bed as per the booking rather than two separately made pushed together singles, but this is a small point. Air Conditioning was OK but I felt could have been a bit more effective. The room was a little small. Excellent free wifi, tv and perhaps not surprisingly great Savon de Marseille soap, shower gel etc. The room contained a Nespresso coffee maker but the capsules are charged at €2.50 which I dont think they should be in a hotel of this standard.

I ate breakfast twice and dinner once in the hotel. All were fine, but there are plenty of more interesting options in the Vieux Port. In particular for breakfast I went twice to La Caravelle in the Vieux Port which I would recommend, as in France I would rather save my money for lunch and dinner than spend it on €16 hotel breakfast buffets.

I found all of the staff friendly and helpful and several had reasonable English.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel, I cannot imagine I would have found anything that would have suited me better in Marseille. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Guest.
Thank you for taking the time to write this nice comment. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and appreciated the services we provide. It is true that the location of the hotel is ideal. We are doing our best to satisfy our guests that is why we have taken note of your comments to improve our services. As for the beds, we do have double, queen and king beds. Don't hesitate to ask us when you come back. We hope to welcome you again when you are back to Marseille.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Large room (relativ to the European standards) in a relatively new and well maintained building.
Good breakfast buffet, friendly and forthcoming personel and an excellent location (just accross the Pharo) at the fringe of the
old port (close to the local attraction but quiet by night). WiFi was also always conected, fast and free.
It is not a cheap hotel but worth its price.

Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest.
Thank you so much for your comments. We are glad you had a pleasant stay in our hotel. Don't hesitate to come back during your next stay in Marseille.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at the hotel from the 16th to 21st August 2013 during my summer vacation in France and would not recommend the hotel to anyone. I was with my mum and my 4-year old son and had made an online booking for a double room because we wanted to share the room with my son but I did not find a provision online to include a child in the room. I thought it would be best to secure the reservation and ask for an extra bed upon arrival.

When we arrived at the hotel reception, I presented my booking confirmation to a young lady and gent who were in the front office. Before I could request for an extra bed for my son, the lady started shouting and asking why we were three and the reservation was for a double. I told her that we would like to share the room with my son ana wish to request for an extra bed. Her colleague joined her in the shouting tone demanding why I did not book an extra room for him and stating that they have no room for 3 people. I told them that It was not reasonable for my 4 year-old to stay in a room by himself. I was so shocked by their rudeness, unprofessionalism and attitude. I kept my calm and did not say anything else to them as it was clear that they were professionally challenged.

It turned out that they had a room with an extra bed, which was ready for occupation, and in another 5 mins they had allocated the room to us....... But why would they accord us such a rude and hostile reception when they know, it is an issue they can easily be resolved? This is supposed to be the 'hospitality' industry.

The bad attitude did not end there, I requested for help to take up our luggage to the 3rd floor and they pointed at the luggage trolley and told me to use it as they do not normally do it. I ferried 5 suitcases by myself as obviously my son and elderly mother were not in a position to help.

In the room, I read the guest information booklet and noted their services included assisting guests with their luggage and they had a baggagiste assigned to do that. This was contrary to what the receptionists had told me.....but why would the staff be so unhelpful to the extent of denying guests the services they claim to provide?!

During my rest of my stay I steered clear from the front office staff as I did not want them to ruin our vacation. Fortunately, I found a concierge, called Nicholas who was so polite and pleasant and we consulted for directions and whatever else we required. I strongly recommend that his colleagues borrow a leaf of good attitude and hospitality from him. Ironically he apparently was on a part-time summer job.

We decided stayed an extra night in Marseille and moved to stay at Novotel, which was directly opposite the New hotel of Marseille, for the one night. I requested for help to cart our luggage across to the hotel. They young gent consulted the same young on whether he could help and she told him that the bags would be too heavy. They called Nicholas who gladly came and helped me despite they fact that his work shift hours had ended. Well done Nicholas for handling your summer job so professionally!

Our stay at Novotel was great. My son loved it! It is family friendly and the staff were so helpful and polite. The difference with Le Pharo was like night and day.

Conclusion: The rooms and facikities at the New Hotel of Marseille good and artistically done but the ambiance cannot be complete without professional and hospitable staff.

We were the only black guests in the hotel and I cannot help but notice the racial undertones in the staff's behavior. Professionally trained and exposed staff would appreciate diversity and welcome guests who travel from other continents to visit their country. I love France and will visit the country many times in the future but will not make the mistake of staying at The New Hotel of Marseille - Le Pharo!

Flo Kimata
Nairobi, Kenya

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank FloKimata
Jean-Luc_de_Bodisko, Director at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. However, my team is very surprised and disappointed to read your comments as they tried to offer you the maximum of services and to make you feel welcome in our hotel. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience encountered with your luggage. Be sure that you were and you are always welcome in our hotel.