“Interesting Hotel - Poor Customer Service”

New Hotel Of Marseille
Ranked #20 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We arrived at the New Hotel after a long hike from the port area. The neighborhood around the New Hotel is nice, with restaurants and grocery stores, but be warned if you plan on spending most of your time around the port or old town - it is a bit of a walk. You'll want to take a bus if you plan on coming and going often.

The hotel itself was modern and quirky. We enjoyed the ambiance. It was a big change from the small B&B type hotel we stayed at in Nice the week before.

Internet access was free if you access it from the lobby, however it doesn't reach your room. If you want to use the wireless from your room, you will have to pay a hefty fee.

On our first night, we attempted to eat in the dining room, but they had run out of one of the few things on the menu my pregnant wife felt she could keep down. We went to a grocery store and bought our dinner there.

Unfortunately, on our last day, we encountered an issue with their customer service. Our first morning at the hotel I had asked a server in the dining room how much the breakfast cost. She told me it was included in the cost of my room. However when we checked out, we were told it was not and we were charged the full price for two expensive breakfasts for my wife and myself. When I protested to the person working the desk, I was treated rudely and told that there was no way it could have possibly been included in the price of my room. That simply wasn't done in France. I was, frankly, made to feel pretty stupid.

When I looked back on my computer for my reservation, I found out the hotel was right. The breakfast should not have been included. However this does not make up for the fact that I was given incorrect information from a worker at the hotel, treated poorly when I complained and not offered any sort of explanation other than "You should have checked your reservation instead of asking someone who works here for information."

So I learned my lesson. When staying at the New Hotel, double check your reservation and don't assume you're going to be given correct information by the staff.

Overall, the hotel itself was nice. We loved the atmosphere. It was definitely a hip place and we felt the price for our room was fair. But the customer service was lacking and the location wasn't ideal. If we were to go back to Marseilles, we would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 September 2010

I just spend one night at the New Hotel of Marseille - the Staff was very nice and the room nice, modern and funky...
Shame that the pool is only in the sun early morning or late afternoon.
Walk to Le Vieux Port (10min) for breakfast on terrase in the sunshine.
I love the vibe of this Hotel! I will be back...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Booked this hotel for a couple nights and had a really comfortable stay. It's a relatively new hotel which is modern, clean and close to the city centre. The staff were really friendly and helpful with advising on local amenities, and most could speak fluent English. The hotel has a designated floor for guest parking (at a discounted cost) within the local public car park. It also boasts an outdoor pool which is lovely in the summer. We did however notice a strange smell - rather like vomit - in the bar area which seemed to be coming from the air conditioning unit. But apart from that we thought this hotel was great!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2010

We came here after a couple of days at the Le Corbusier Hotel to be closer to the centre of town and to be able to swim in the pool.
It was a good choice, as it is a complete contrast. A new hotel with excellent facilities and maintained in tip top order.We had a warn welcome and the service was always efficient and pleasant. I agree with all the positive comments in the earlier reviews.
A couple of comments about food. I don't really stay in hotels like this and use the restaurant. Food is usually formulaic and bland. Not here. The chef is excellent and the food interesting and well presented. I both do, and don't agree that it is pricey. We baulked at 16 euros for breakfast. I imagine it was really good but we just don't like to stuff ourselves in the morning. We went out to a nearby bar for coffe and croissant. The Novotel, opposite, does the same (at the bar) for 7euros. Why doesn't the New Hotel?
Our first day we arrived in time for a lateish lunch and they were barbecueing outside. We were tempted. For 13 euros each we got a good steak, with potatoes and a very large glass of wine (plus bread and iced water of course). We also took the set 25 euro 3 course dinner one evening and were pleased with that too. Not cheap, but not ludicrously expensive either?
Otherwise we walked to the vieux port or took the very handy 83 bus down to the vieux port where there are loads of restaurants to choose from.
Just before we left we walked in the other direction and found we were only about 5 minutes walk from the very nice (and quiet in Sepember) Catalan beach. The 83 bus will also take you much further along the Corniche than we walked. A day transport pass is well worth the 5 euros it costs.
Finally, we were very delighted with the value as we got a good rate from Last Minute, about half the rack rate, and as it was pretty full with conference people (presumably not on the rack rate either) it seemed fair enough to us.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank capresina
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I thought this was an excellent hotel. It was very clean and comfortable and the service was very good. I found the price very reasonable considering the quality of the hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly and I had no language problem whatsoever. I also left my luggage there for many hours after check-out time. Discounted parking was also available if you have a car. The hotel lobby was small but nice. Someone mentioned an odd smell from the air conditioning, but I did not have this problem at all. The location is great and my room was very quiet. I would stay there again If I'm ever back in Marseille. It was a great hotel that provided everything I needed.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank JLG
Reviewed 15 August 2010

To conclude first, this is an excellent hotel. The service we experienced was superb from check in to departure (from everyone involved). The location is opposite La Pharo and a 10 minute walk from the main restaurants and bars of the Vieux Port. The rooms are clean, comfortable and the hotel is immaculate throughout.

So then, a few observations. I cannot understand the comments regarding service levels at this hotel. I am obviously an English tourist (!) and firstly the language barrier was no problem at all. Our bags were collected by the Bell Hop from our taxi and then taken to our room once we had checked in. Depending on how you booked, you may find local taxes involved (1 euro 50 cents per person per night). Our room was on the third floor overlooking the pool and bar area. We were shown where the main facilities were by the bell hop on our way to the room and we were safely in our room and unpacking within 10 minutes of arriving at the hotel. Everyone we encountered en route to the room, or at check-in offered a friendly "Bonjour!" and had a smile to greet us. The bar and restaurant staff service level is one of quiet efficiency. The prices do reflect the modern, classy feel of the hotel and you will pay cheaper if you head to town. However, this is the same of all hotels the world over, so again, no complaints. The food in the evening restaurant was superb.

Nice style touches are everywhere. From modern furniture in the outside bar area, to rainbow illumination in the corridors heading towards the bedrooms and cactus plants in the gents toilet! Some of which are nice, but you do get the feel that it is sometimes art and style for art and style's sake. The carpet on the first floor is a particularly awful style highlight!

The one negative here is that our room had a tendency to develop a very odd smell if the air conditioner was run for any long period of time - almost like an old mouldy damp smell. This varied from couldn't smell it to acrid - but was so variable it wasn't really worth complaining about - as opening the window cleared it quickly enough.

On our day of departure, we were able to leave our bags at the hotel until we actually left for the airport at 7.00pm (having checked out at midday) - giving us the day to explore more of Marseille. They even allowed us to use the hotel facilities (including the pool area) until we left.

So, to reiterate my initial conclusion - this is a superb hotel. Immaculately clean, with great service and facilities. The location is superb, the staff are a credit and I wouldn't hesitate to returning here should we re-visit Marseille in the future.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RJohnstone
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This hotel is nice and quiet howver it is extremly overpriced for what it is, the facilities arent that great and the bar and restaurant are ludicrously expensive!!

Staff are unhelpful and not very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple