“Comfortable stay”

Les Gens de Mer Hotel
Ranked #97 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Me and my sister stayed here for one night on a cycle tour from Calais to Marseille. After booking, I read some reviews and was worried by some of them that indicated that the area was not safe. Rubbish! The Hotel is less than 15 minute's stroll, from the old port, along (2) wide and well lit roads. Returning home, at around 11pm, we felt completely safe. I don't know what some (see Jan R) are going on about. This area is better than many city centre areas.
As for the hotel - good value for money. A bit dated, but our room was big enough and clean enough. The breakfast was fine and the staff friendly.
They took good care to store our bikes somewhere safe.

Room Tip: Don't read just one reveiw!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 54Steve_Gee
There are newer reviews for Les Gens de Mer Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hotel was OK, the room was clean when I walked in, everything seemed fine. Then I started getting bites all over my arms and legs, although when checking the mattress it didn't look particularly worrisome... turns out they were hiding behind the headboard, which is the only unmovable furniture in the room (it is stuck to the wall, but has a space between the wood and the wall). After 4 days I was finally convinced there were bedbugs, and went to the reception. They tried to convince me it was mosquitoes, but they did eventually reimburse our last night there (I stayed another day because they damage had already been done and I was going home where I then did an entire treatment on all my stuff from the trip). They also said they called someone who was supposed to come after our departure and treat the entire room.

Conclusion: look around carefully, and if anything looks fishy, run. There was a corner of the mattress that looked suspicious when I first checked, but I think I was lying to myself when I decided not to worry about it. Don't take that shortcut.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Diana D
Reviewed 24 January 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2012

no frills but clean, well positioned for transit travellers due to being so close to city centre, station, and bus station (including airport transfer) but maybe not so ideal for tourists staying longer because the 2nd arrondisement can be a bit dead especially at nights.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel is not so far from railway station and we walked that only few minutes. This way was little bit troublesome. The road was dirty and full of rubbish, and the local inhabitants were looked dangerously. But with the hotel we were satisfied. It is only 2* hotel, but was clean with good services - tasty breakfast, pleasant receptionist.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan R
Reviewed 2 June 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This 2-star hotel was much nicer than two of the 3 star hotels we stayed at during this trip. Although small and the bed was small and hard, everything else met our needs. We were pleasantly surprised! Free internet is a great asset too. This hotel is not in a nice neighbourhood though - be careful when wandering the streets after dark.

Room Tip: The wireless signal is much better closer to the ground floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple