“Convenience and hospitality”
Review of Hotel Relax

Hotel Relax
Ranked #98 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I am very happy with the choice of hotel, especially its location and price. It is not luxurious but comfortable, especially for business travelers. Do not come here for a romantic getaway. It is too small (& no room for bags). It is really best for a single traveler. The stairs make it inconvenient for disabled or elderly, but for most persons it is manageable. I personally found the staff/owners very helpful, kind and generous. I suppose if you are rude to them, they will respond(?), but I would recommend this hotel and would stay there if ever I return to Marseille.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the lowest level - no stairs
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Some colleagues and I spent 8 days attending a conference at this charming, family run hotel. Even though its a small place, it was clean and comfortable and within walking distance of everything, inluding the Metro, buses,pharmacy, restaurants and bars. I love the fact that it was five minutes away from the bustling and colourful Port. On returning from our conference daily, it felt like coming home. Even though the owners Al and Auria are not fluent in English, they were extremely helpful. On my final day, I contracted food poisoning (I ate elsewhere) and had to stay in my room beyond checkout. I was not charged anything extra, which I thought was very generous of them. True there are stairs to climb and its very narrow, but we asked for rooms on the first level. If you have lots of luggage, the rooms will be a tight fit. If you are looking for luxury, go elsewhere. If however you want easy access, clean and comfortable, then this is the place. If I return to Marseille, this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side of the opera house have a good view. I did not find that side noisy
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Patricia A
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed here one night... We were sent here due to an issue with a booking at a different hotel... The owners do not speak ANY English... they seemed friendly though... They keep your room key when you leave... I don't like that... the rooms was small and dirty... the shower was comically small... I would never recommend this place to anyone... The stairs to the room were exhausting... and you have to ring a bell to get in at night... the owners are also the residents... the only positive was the location was nice... 3 blocks to the water and about a 10 min walk from the train station.... I would avoid this place...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Allen T
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Positive: price and location -- right in the city center, 2 blocks away from the old port, facing the Opera square. The owner and staffs are friendly.

Be aware that it’s an old building with no elevator. Our room facing the square is quite small, but with this price, we were ok with our one night staying.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R L
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Visited Marseille for the last two days of Provence trip, and stayed at Hotel Relax on rec. of Rick Steves. It was exactly as he described, except for the stairs. We stayed on top floor (5th) and stairs were steep and narrow, but doable. Staff helped bring our suitcases up to room and down at checkout. The owner, Houria, is a wonder and very helpful. Room was clean, had everything you might need: hair dryer, tv, a/c. Our room overlooked Opera courtyard, so noisy at night, but when we shut the windows, room was quiet.
So the rooms are tiny, but I've been in tinier (Cosmopolitan Hotel, NYC) and stairs are steep, but I'd stay here again. No room service, but Houria sells drinks in the lobby. Also serve breakfast, but it wasn't included in our room charge so we ate out.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank dboom52
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The room we stayed in (double bed) was equiped with a fridge, a safe, tv and the bathroom was very clean (toilet, sink and shower). The owner is very nice and always wants to help with your needs. The location is great (espacially with the location). The only thing is there is no elevator.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2010

This hotel is well situated but the owners are absolutely horrible, they are rude and they are liars.
We arrived from Montreal with our luggages to discover that NO ROOM was booked under our name. They tried to say that we were lying and that we booked for an other day.
They made a mistake but never admited it.
They said we were lying ...

So we had no room, it was 10pm in Marseilles AND also discovered that they took our money for a booking we never made !
They don't even use internet and don't keep track of anything ...

1/ They don't speak english but they pretend to
2/ They made us pay for a room we never used, when the mistake was theirs
3/ They yelled at us and screamed
4/ We had to spend a night in the streets with all our bags because he hotel was full and it was super late ..................
HORRIBLE PEOPLE !