“Not perfect but I love it”

Golden Tulip Villa Massalia
Ranked #29 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I forgive them that on my forth visit they gave me a room facing the street when the hotel was not full, I forgive them that they took all the fridges out of the room and there is no tea of=r coffee making equipment in the room.
I forgive them for whomever designed the marble topped bath surround and did not appreciate that all the water would run onto the floor and wreck the chipboard bath surround.
I forgive them that they let me order the pizza and salad at lunch time without mentioning that the pizza came with a heap of salad, (it was a salad-fest).
I forgive them that the WiFi is flakey at best and runs at snails pace and does not reach to the pool, in fact only just to the nearest table outside.

OKAY so enough of the forgiveness, now the love.

I love Audrey at the front desk, a huge bundle of can do, thanks for helping me with bus timetable and giving me the inspiration to take the bus, (something I never do), to Les Baumettes and walking down to visit the Callanque.
I love the rooms that face the race course with there balcony, partial sea view, the perfect place to relax.
I love (like), the great evening bar manager who remembers your name and I am sure would mix a mean cocktail if you let him or would suggest the perfect wine. Cool guy, running a tight ship.
I loved the pool area which was really relaxed and sunny all day, the little cocktail crash out area and the nice sunsets.
I love the fact that it is a small chain of maybe only 10 hotels total.
I loved the short walk to the beach where you should go to the Moules speciality restaurant and order the Moules Napolitain
Most of all I loved the lady at the pool bar who looked like Jennifer Lopez from Maid in Manhattan and ran the pool bar like a military operation, I never saw here when she was not running and not smiling. Great service

In short good hotel. Manger needs to make some improvements to the offering, (don't get me wrong the rooms are great and the facilities cool, but I kind of think the coffee making went out the window just to sell more expensive room service and you know, when I want coffee, I want to make coffee not wait for it to arrive)

But as I always say it is the staff who make the good hotels great hotels.

I will be back

Not perfect but Great

JSW

Room Tip: definitely worth the extra for the balcony rooms with partial sea view insist on not being on the r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jamesinhereford
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Jamesinhereford,

Thank you for taking time to give a full review following to your stay in our hotel. We are pleased to know that it matched your expectations. We will share with all our staff your comment.

However, we have taken good notice of your comments. We are pleased to inform you that we recently change all the WIFI system in order to improve the connection.

We hope to welcome you again for your next trip in Marseille.

General Managers

Reviewed 7 June 2014

After a supremely busy few days I treated myself to a massage one evening - it was truly amazing, I cant recommend the therapist here highly enough. The hotel itself is well located near the beach, with friendly staff, a super breakfast selection and good food. I was pleased to have stayed here during my visit.

Room Tip: fourth floor corner suite
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Mark9920,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for taking time to give your impressions on our hotel following to you stay.

Your satisfaction is our best reward!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your next trip in Marseille.

General Managers

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had just one night here on a work trip and so can't comment too much on location. The meeting rooms were spacious with natural light and my room at the front in the 3rd floor was really comfortable. It was a good size with a lovely bathroom (slightly separated toilet) and lovely toiletries. The wardrobe and storage space was very good as was the desk. There was a view to the Provence hills and surrounding streets from the room which made for a nice outlook. The buffet breakfast was a bit chaotic, with things running out and few waiting staff but what I ate was good. The buffet lunches for the meeting were impressive with a wide and interesting selection. Service at reception was very welcoming. As far as I recall the room was very quiet and dark so sleep quality was good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Mrs Clinton,

We thank you for your review regarding our Hotel on this website and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Best Regards

Directors

Reviewed 7 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stylish, clean and located in a wealthy residential section of Marseilles does not close at the city center.Cosy Hotel with many green spaces, the rooms are spacious and clean with all amenities in-room also nespresso Coffee machine.beautiful environments and restaurant bar with live music, wide and well equipped SPA.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Giacomo G
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Giacomo G,

Our Deluxe rooms have indeed a charming balcony as well as a Nespresso machine. As far as our Bar is concerned, we are hosting every Friday night local music groups.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel is lovely, the staff are very helpful and the standard of food excellent. Lots of choice at breakfast although if you turn up in the last hour or so they do start to run out of some things (eg the crepes which were delicious wen you coul get your hands on them!)
The pool area is gorgeous, so pretty, clean and relaxing.
My only complaint would be how far the hotel is from the city centre, although for us this was no problem as my husband was visiting Marseille on business and I was more than happy to relax by the pool.
The restaurant in the hotel is quite expensive, but it's only about 5 minutes walk down to the sea front (head for the big wheel) where there are loads of restaurants and cafés to choose from.
All in all a lovely stay, both for business and leisure. We had our baby with us too and the staff were very helpful an accommodating, providing a cot in the room with special baby toiletries and high chairs at each meal.

• Stayed: July 2013
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear thephilosophyofyes,

Thank you for your complete review. We are delighted to learn that your trip, both on business and leisure purpose, have match your expectations.

Our hotel offers indeed all facilities to welcome our youngest guest.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again for your next trip in our wonderful City.

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel and we had the room with large balcony over looking racecourse and sea. Room gorgeous, view beautiful. Staff at reception very good,as well as restaurant. The on,y bug bare I have is that the was a conference at hotel and they booked out. The restaurant, so others couldn't have dinner there. The hotel is not near other restaurants easily reached,so not happy as a paying guest.my husband spoke to staff who agree to let us eat outside.luckily it was warm. Food fabulous,

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear judy61Melbourne,

We thank you very much for your review and your compliments. They have been shared with our staff.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again for your next trip to Marseille.