“Some good rooms but a lot of little things missing in the service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Golden Tulip Villa Massalia

Golden Tulip Villa Massalia
Ranked #16 of 130 Hotels in Marseille
Toronto, Canada
“Some good rooms but a lot of little things missing in the service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had originally written a review for this hotel shortly after my stay in May, but I needed to ask to delete it and revise it due to (what is now) an inaccuracy in my original post. I was booked into this hotel for 3 nights. In general, it was a good standard hotel. Reception was generally good if you went in person. They were very hard to reach over the phone. I can understand during the day when people are coming and going at the reception desk, but they don't answer the phone at all when I tried calling at night (after midnight). I wanted to ask a question before I checked out the next morning, but just never had anyone answer at all after trying several time for quite some time so I gave up.

Due to being misinformed by my work, we needed to change hotels after 3 nights due to lack of space for our group at Villa Massalia. So I was surprised that I was booked in for only 3 nights when I in fact needed 4 when I checked in. They kindly changed this, although this was already a mistake on their part since maybe they would have seen I was part of a group booking for 3 nights. I'm not going to blame the reception person who did this since they were trying to correct what we thought was a mistake in the first place. However, when we informed them of the unnecessary 4th night that was booked and wanted to cancel it (giving more than a day's notice when I found out that I was being moved), they still wanted to charge us the extra night for the room. We refused and they apparently seemed to have changed it. But this is what has changed since my first review. They recently sent a bill to my French colleague asking us to pay for this room that we asked be cancelled. They acted like they would cancel the charges that shouldn't have been given in the first place, but they apparently feel that we should pay for it with no reason why (we are still going to refuse to pay for the cancelled extra night of the room and my colleague is currently dealing with this).

I didn't select this hotel so didn't know what kind of room I was getting, but I got something more like a suite with a separate bedroom, a living room area and a big bathroom. I also had a balcony and a nice view of the hippodrome (unfortunately, I used the room very little since I was mostly out working). Also what I loved was the blackout blinds that block light from the window since I love sleeping in dark rooms. So a big positive on the room I got, which I realize not everyone will get. Others in my group were not impressed with their room (very small) or the view (looking at the gas station), so there are quite a variety of rooms besides the huge one that I got.

Breakfast is good with a lot of variety and food seems fresh. I had room service one night and had the caesar salad but that was nothing special at all.

I'm not exactly sure how much this hotel costs since I did not book and pay for it this time, but apparently it's expensive. If that's the case, I guess I can expect to be a bit more demanding with the little things in service. But in general, people looking for a comfortable place to just sleep should be ok with this place, but don't expect much out of their service or organization.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GloJul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Hereford, Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I forgive them that on my forth visit they gave me a room facing the street when the hotel was not full, I forgive them that they took all the fridges out of the room and there is no tea of=r coffee making equipment in the room.
I forgive them for whomever designed the marble topped bath surround and did not appreciate that all the water would run onto the floor and wreck the chipboard bath surround.
I forgive them that they let me order the pizza and salad at lunch time without mentioning that the pizza came with a heap of salad, (it was a salad-fest).
I forgive them that the WiFi is flakey at best and runs at snails pace and does not reach to the pool, in fact only just to the nearest table outside.

OKAY so enough of the forgiveness, now the love.

I love Audrey at the front desk, a huge bundle of can do, thanks for helping me with bus timetable and giving me the inspiration to take the bus, (something I never do), to Les Baumettes and walking down to visit the Callanque.
I love the rooms that face the race course with there balcony, partial sea view, the perfect place to relax.
I love (like), the great evening bar manager who remembers your name and I am sure would mix a mean cocktail if you let him or would suggest the perfect wine. Cool guy, running a tight ship.
I loved the pool area which was really relaxed and sunny all day, the little cocktail crash out area and the nice sunsets.
I love the fact that it is a small chain of maybe only 10 hotels total.
I loved the short walk to the beach where you should go to the Moules speciality restaurant and order the Moules Napolitain
Most of all I loved the lady at the pool bar who looked like Jennifer Lopez from Maid in Manhattan and ran the pool bar like a military operation, I never saw here when she was not running and not smiling. Great service

In short good hotel. Manger needs to make some improvements to the offering, (don't get me wrong the rooms are great and the facilities cool, but I kind of think the coffee making went out the window just to sell more expensive room service and you know, when I want coffee, I want to make coffee not wait for it to arrive)

But as I always say it is the staff who make the good hotels great hotels.

I will be back

Not perfect but Great

JSW

Room Tip: definitely worth the extra for the balcony rooms with partial sea view insist on not being on the r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jamesinhereford
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Jamesinhereford,

Thank you for taking time to give a full review following to your stay in our hotel. We are pleased to know that it matched your expectations. We will share with all our staff your comment.

However, we have taken good notice of your comments. We are pleased to inform you that we recently change all the WIFI system in order to improve the connection.

We hope to welcome you again for your next trip in Marseille.

General Managers
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

After a supremely busy few days I treated myself to a massage one evening - it was truly amazing, I cant recommend the therapist here highly enough. The hotel itself is well located near the beach, with friendly staff, a super breakfast selection and good food. I was pleased to have stayed here during my visit.

Room Tip: fourth floor corner suite
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Mark9920,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for taking time to give your impressions on our hotel following to you stay.

Your satisfaction is our best reward!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your next trip in Marseille.

General Managers
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had just one night here on a work trip and so can't comment too much on location. The meeting rooms were spacious with natural light and my room at the front in the 3rd floor was really comfortable. It was a good size with a lovely bathroom (slightly separated toilet) and lovely toiletries. The wardrobe and storage space was very good as was the desk. There was a view to the Provence hills and surrounding streets from the room which made for a nice outlook. The buffet breakfast was a bit chaotic, with things running out and few waiting staff but what I ate was good. The buffet lunches for the meeting were impressive with a wide and interesting selection. Service at reception was very welcoming. As far as I recall the room was very quiet and dark so sleep quality was good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Mrs Clinton,

We thank you for your review regarding our Hotel on this website and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Best Regards

Directors
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stylish, clean and located in a wealthy residential section of Marseilles does not close at the city center.Cosy Hotel with many green spaces, the rooms are spacious and clean with all amenities in-room also nespresso Coffee machine.beautiful environments and restaurant bar with live music, wide and well equipped SPA.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Giacomo G
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Giacomo G,

Our Deluxe rooms have indeed a charming balcony as well as a Nespresso machine. As far as our Bar is concerned, we are hosting every Friday night local music groups.

Jérôme BILLY
Alesund, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

The hotel is lovely, the staff are very helpful and the standard of food excellent. Lots of choice at breakfast although if you turn up in the last hour or so they do start to run out of some things (eg the crepes which were delicious wen you coul get your hands on them!)
The pool area is gorgeous, so pretty, clean and relaxing.
My only complaint would be how far the hotel is from the city centre, although for us this was no problem as my husband was visiting Marseille on business and I was more than happy to relax by the pool.
The restaurant in the hotel is quite expensive, but it's only about 5 minutes walk down to the sea front (head for the big wheel) where there are loads of restaurants and cafés to choose from.
All in all a lovely stay, both for business and leisure. We had our baby with us too and the staff were very helpful an accommodating, providing a cot in the room with special baby toiletries and high chairs at each meal.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VillaMassalia, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Villa Massalia, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear thephilosophyofyes,

Thank you for your complete review. We are delighted to learn that your trip, both on business and leisure purpose, have match your expectations.

Our hotel offers indeed all facilities to welcome our youngest guest.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again for your next trip in our wonderful City.

Jérôme BILLY