“Worst hostel I've ever stayed at.”
Review of Sylvabelle Hotel

Sylvabelle Hotel
Ranked #115 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Sydney, Australia
“Worst hostel I've ever stayed at.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

There was no locker available for me to use and the wifi was not working, I didn't get help or an apology from the staff for this. The "4 bed" room was actually just a partitioned off part of a massive dorm. I read some bad reviews before I booked but this hostel surpassed my already low expectations! Seriously do not stay here! Especially at the bad value of 20+ euro.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Rebeccana
desarts, Responsable relations clients at Sylvabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guests,

I do hope you had a safe journey back home to Australia
I feel very sorry the hotel did not match all your expectations.

Reminder:the BEST RATE is always on our OFFICAL WEBSITE!

Kind regards.

A.M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dobrich, Bulgaria
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My only disappointment was that I couldn't use the internet in my room, although I had signal. It just wouldn't load any pages, I guess the signal was too week. I could use it in the lobby though.
The hotel is located 7-8 min away from the Old Port and about 15 min from the Cathedral (walking distance). The rooms are clean. The interior is nice. I was in a single room #22 - on the top floor (4th). There was a TV in my room, a sink, shower cabin, clothes hangers, a chair. My room was serviced every day.
The staff is very kind and helpful. I forgot my earring in the room when I checked out, but I called them and someone from the reception sent them to me by post. Also, I had problems with my reservation, because the booking system wouldn't accept my credit card, but I called the reception and we sorted things out. Again, they were very kind.
The price is very good too. Breakfast was OK - hot drinks, orange juice, milk, croissants, bread and butter, jam.

Room Tip: There isn't an elevator, so if you have trouble climbing stairs, ask for a room on the lower flo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Warszawa
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I don't know about hotel but I can write something about hostel part.
First of all I don't recommend it, it has nothing with hostel, no kitchen, no common room, nothing. On their site and in booking confirmation there's said that they are open 24/24 and no curfew. It's not true, hostel is closed at night.
One night we back drunk a little bit and yes, there was some noise, but it's hostel and it was friday. The day after they said that if we'll do the same any next night, we'll be fined. Also they said that we let the place very dirty. Ok, so we didn't do that anymore. After few days we checked-out and nobody tell us that there's some problem.
And after few days I saw that my credit card which I booked hostel, was charged by them, but we paid all in cash at check-in. I contacted them and they said that it's a fine!
So be carefull, they could charged you what they want without any information.
I made a complaint to my bank and I want my money back, for me it's a dupery.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank pqwe
desarts, Responsable relations publiques at Sylvabelle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear All,

I would like to post my comments regarding this last review that is totally unfair to me.
Your were probably the worst guests we ever had over the past 5 years.
Having you at the hostel was a total nightmare for the entire staff and for the other travellers.
You were completly drunk,extremly noisy,annoying other guests,smoking and starting the fire alarm,vomiting all over in the place and much more disgusting things I do not even want to mention here...
We had to compensate the other clients and to double clean everything after you left.
The small extra amount we have charged you is nothing compared to all the incovenience you have caused us.

A.M
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Very good place! I stayed for just one night but I was received very well! The place is simple but very clean, organized and in a very good localization. The price completely worth it. I hope to get there again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights in Hotel Sylvabelle. The location is fantastic - 1 minute away from the metro and 5 minutes to Vieux Port. The surrounding area is lovely too.

The room wasn't that bright but that was purely due to marseille having lots of high buildings. The window was huge and made the room lovely and breezy. The actually lighting in the room could have been better but you really can't expect much for the price you pay.

Luckily I had a newly fitted bathroom which was nice and bright. Lots of hot water.

If you want a hotel as a base this is perfect, spend all day exploring the wonderful city and come to sleep in the hotel!

The breakfast is very basic - bit of baguette, croissant and coffee/tea. All you need to get you started on your day.

To be honest I couldn't really fault this hotel for the price I paid. Yes, the decor is a bit dated and isn't luxury but if you are an intelligent person then you expect a little shabbiness for a cheap 2* it actually had character - the windows we tall and the staircase was lovely and traditionally tiled!

I would stay here again. The location was absolutely perfect and it was a bargain!!

Thanks Sylvabelle

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank KirstieMac1
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is not a hotel I would recommend to anyone. I know it is only a budget hotel but that is no excuse to be so rude to customers and in my case actually to play a scam on me. This would be improved to some degree if the management would take the time to respond to complaints in some form. I don't expect my money back but it would be polite at least to acknowledge them.

• Stayed April 2013
London
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel was in a very pleasant location, within walking distance of the old port area, which was where we wanted to be, given that we only had 2 nights there. It was spotlessly clean, bright and airy. Reception were welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo