“More than just Sardines”
Review of Sard'in - CLOSED

Sard'in
Price range: US$11 - US$18
Description: Sard'in is a typical tapas'restaurant from the south of France, specialised in sardines ! We are close for holidays until 12th of january
Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

What a great little place, you walk into what is fashioned to be a poissonnerie downstairs, which is in fact the kitchen, then make your way up to a quaint casual dining area upstairs.

Menu is brief and eclectic with interesting variations on a variety of seafoods (sardines obviously, and octopus, razor clams, prawns when we visited...)

Don’t worry, if you’re not nuts about sardines, there’s plenty else on offer...

1  Thank Nic G

Reviewed 28 October 2017

A pleasant but very absent minded waitress ; she forgot to bring the drink ordered as apertif , instead she was going to serve a glass of wine ; then there was a long delay and her colleague removed the wine glasses , and after this the glass of wine ordered with the main course never came; then we had to ask it be taken off the bill when leaving.
The sardines on toast to start for starter was OK , and came with butter , beetroot in vinegar and some other non-descrpit condiment; for me the bread was the best bit . The sardine, tuna and octopus salad looked very good ; I had the fish burger which was served on a black bun with sesame seeds and three small potato cakes and did not score very high on flavour for me.
Based on this visit , poor service , small portions of not very interesting food , so I could not recommend.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Very creative dishes with sardines. I especially liked the burger with bacon and of course sardines. If you sit outside there's a lovely view of the Notre Dame!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

I hunted out Sard'in on the basis of the reviews I'd read on TripAdvisor. I definitely wasn't disappointed. I arrived relatively early (by Marseille standards) and was a bit concerned by the unprepossessing looks of the place. Having glanced at the menu I decided to stick with my choice and was glad I had done so.

As the name suggests, sardines feature heavily on the menu. Rather than the classic sardine platter I decided to try a sardine salad and it was delicious. As well as sardines it featured baby squid and tuna. I'm loathe to say it reminded me of a salade Niçoise as I fear that would be insulting to the Marseillaise! It was also served with some delicious fresh bread.

The one slight disappointment was the pudding (a chocolate orange tart) which gave the impression of having been prepared some time earlier and was a bit dry and bland. I nearly removed a star for this, but the salad was so good I decided it would be churlish to do so!

1  Thank essex-hiker-biker
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We were recommended this restaurant by a local telling us they served sardines all different ways! And we were impressed! The food was fresh. We sat upstairs with a nice ambience and the music just added to the night.
We couldn't understand the menu in French too well but the waiter helped out and our choices were well worth it.
Started the night off with a Martini and finished with a yummy lemon dessert.

1  Thank JulieG2391