“Great location, staff and price”

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel de la Poste
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Salon-de-Provence
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My family of four stayed for 2 nights. Excellent location in the heart of town. Very friendly and efficient owners - able to answer any queries. Our family room was large and clean. The carpark was a couple of blocks away but the owner provided a very good map and even emailed to us the night before! No lift but we knew this in advance. Excellent value for money. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sunshinelollypops
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel de la Poste

Reviewed 27 November 2010

This is an excellent hotel. I moved there for three nights after staying a week in DuMidi, which is also a good hotel but not quite as nice. Grand Hotel de la Poste has apparently been owned by the current owners/managers for a couple of years now, and has received a very nice makeover. I think all the bathrooms were renovated. They used bold colors, and the many windows add lots of light to make this a cheerful place. The staff are gracious and friendly. The location is right on the prime square in Salon. The 5 minute walk to the parking garage didn't bother me. My wife and I both loved it. Great value. Make your reservations ahead or they may be booked.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2010

A nice, friendly reception from the owners. We stayed in room 17, with very red and funky decor, which overlooked the astronomical clock. The room was spotlessly clean with a well equipped bathroom, including a large corner bath, and two sinks. Water pressure on the shower was excellent, and the aircon was very good.

The location is perfect for exploring Salon centre ville, and just outside the hotel, in the square, are a few nice bars and restaurants. On the two nights were were there (Friday and Saturday) there was live entertainment, but we didn't hear much noise in the early hours as there is good double glazing.

If you are arriving by motorbike then there is a free parking spot just opposite the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We paid a few more euros to get one of the newly redesigned rooms. The hotel is on one of main streets of salon but the double glazing is good. Management was very friendly and helpful.

Please note that the hotel doesn't have an elevator. This fact was made clear to me by the manager before I booked my room.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank philippe_42
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Very nice hotel in a great location. Excellent value. Helped us store our bicycles and gave us suggestions where to eat, etc.. Zero complaints.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brett-Ottawa
Reviewed 7 January 2010

My girlfriend and I travelled to Salon De Provence from 4-5 Jan 2010. She had seen a documentary on Nostradamus and thought it would be fun to visit the museum (definitely worth seeing btw). After researching on tripadvisor I settled on the Grand Hotel de la Poste. I could not have been happier with my decision. It needs to be made clear that this is not a 5 star hotel! However, the location, price and service make it an outstanding place to stay. We had two things we wanted to see there...the moss fountain and the Nostradamus Museum. We stayed in room #23 and had an amazing view of the lit fountain right outside of our small balcony. The museum was less than a block away through the beautiful clock tower arch which was also visible from the balcony. The room was small by US standards! However, it was extremely comfortable. The shower had good water pressure and the internet (wifi) was rock solid (make sure to get your free username/password from the desk). I opted to reserve parking (5.50 Euro) and was given a card that allowed free entry/exit from a nearby carpark. The lady and gentleman running the hotel both spoke English and were extremely polite and helpful. Overall we had a great trip and my girlfriend commented more than once on the way home how much she enjoyed the hotel. Highly rated.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I struggled mightily to find an affordable but good hotel in Provence for a family of four... until I finally came across this hotel and saw the great reviews on tripadvisor.com. It's hard for me to imagine a better value in Provence.

As others have said, the hotel is by no means fancy. The carpeting and furnishings are a bit worn and tired. The parking is not terribly convenient. However, those are about the worst things you can say about the Grand Hotel de la Poste. It's run by a husband and wife team (he's French, she's Dutch) who are extremely helpful and accommodating. They consistently gave me great ideas regarding dining and shops, and they always went the extra mile--even doing some laundry for a nominal charge for us on short notice on a busy day for them.

Our room for four was not enormous, but it was just fine. Most crucially given the hot temperature in July, the air conditioning was fabulous. They have free wifi Internet as well.

I was not really looking forward to staying in Salon: I figured the main attraction was that it reasonably close to Les Baux, Aix, and the seashore (all of which are 30-60 minutes away by car). That said, it was a lively little town, and the hotel is smack in the city center. So you have tons of shops and restaurants and anything else you might need immediately outside of the hotel. We ate at the Taberne d'Oscar a block away, and the Salade Normandy was so amazing that we went back the next night. In the morning, you can either eat at the hotel for a small charge or simply go to the local shops for your pastries, fruit, etc. That worked out well for us. And I think that the basic cost (not counting breakfast, parking, etc.) was something like 59 euros in July! Suffice to say it's easy for a family of four to pay double to triple that elsewhere.

You have to pay for parking, and it's a few blocks away in a rather tight parking garage. I also would recommend that you request a map to the hotel before you go, as it was a little tricky to find on the densely packed streets of the centre ville.

This was a great choice, and I am grateful to other tripadvisor reviewers for making it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family