“Quaint and some great shopping ...”
Review of Old Town

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Something for everyone here. Great shops (French & American brands), restaurants and scenery. We spent several hours browsing through the various streets.

2  Thank JeanYHZ

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Old town of Toulon was a dissapointment. Hardly a restaurant, in the Street is was only men with arabic origin.

10  Thank Terje J
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The old town is situated between the Stade Mayol and the naval base. Extensively bombed in the second world war it has now benefitted from some tasteful regeneration. The area supports a lively daily market and has quite an arab flavour about it. Worth exploring but do not wonder off alone at night. Safe during the day and generally also at night. Hidden little squares with cafes.

5  Thank Richard187257
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Looking from Mount Faron at Old Town in Toulon
By Zoran Slavic

I am sitting almost at the top of the hill Faron. Below me spreads Toulon city. This hill is named after fires who had a role maritime headlight, light by which they were oriented ships. I look at the city from a height that we somehow seem cramped. Locate initially at a relatively narrow land. However, clearly the interference Toulon today simply and clearly parceled. Increasingly, shops, markets, warehouses, squares, flats, public buildings, sacred and secular memorial places, restaurants, galleries, churches - are located between Boulevard de Strasbourg and the Place de la Liberté, in the north, Lafayette Courts in East, Dormer Place in the West and Avenue de la Republique and the port, to the south.
Yesterday I was at the Great Square and surrounding streets which lies between the coast and the railway station. There are swarming with restaurants, shops and cafes. All that connects all these civilian lives in an intimate environment. I felt calmer here and more comfortable than in Marseilles.
To this peak I got by funicular to avoid the narrow and steep path which also comes here. I look at the harbor, where they have always been from many quarters came ships. Toulon harbor was the most protected harbors, the winds and the waves, on the French coast. From the terrace restaurant '' Le Panoramic'' watching the Golden Islands (Iles d'Or) and the open sea. Then I saw a big warship, in escorted by the destroyers, as the north rushes to the port. A military base in still standing clock tower in which the residents for decades determined the end of the day.
Previously, I was, of course, in the old town of Toulon. It does no dare to miss, nor the detailed story of the naval port. The historic center located between the port, the Boulevard de Strasbourg and the Cours Lafayette, is a pedestrian area with narrow streets, small squares and many fountains. Toulon Cathedral is located here. The building we visited was officially completed in 17 centuries, and many older and in its long history was even converted in the mosque! I was impressed, even a bit confused with the most notable work of art in the cathedral the eighteenth century " Baroque retable " made to hold the Holy Sacrament. Later, I've traveled to Marseilles, I found out that it is a replica because the original burned down. We walk around the old part of Toulon and wonder at the multitude of fountains that we encounter.
In return, on the Vatel Square, I find that photo I brought into the minds of Toulon, represents only part of the three-dimensional installations made conceptually: the huge mural on the theme of marine life. Watch, live, how's torso, with Neptune,'' emerges'' from the stone wall, as in the photo in my memory, as part of what they call here tromped l'oeil murals. Something as very effective. Evening coffee drinks in the brasserie '' Van Gogh'', and as is the custom - in book impressions I find a lot of effective drawings, as well as praise and restaurant staff. On one wall is an oil painting that, allegedly painted famous Vincent van Gogh.
Then, through the coastal, I continued the journey. Maybe in the Alps. Or Aubagne.

2  Thank TravelerZrenjanin
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Just walking around the Old Town area of Toulon is a treat, It is speeped in history and has an excellent street market on most days, but on Saturdays it is very extensive, with lovely home grown produce and clothing. You are never far away from a cafe, so you can take rests whenever you choose. Quite lovely.

3  Thank Simon B