“typically good Ibis”

Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Annecy
Kavala, Greece
“typically good Ibis”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Nice, clean, comfortable rooms, big bathroom, very good breakfast, helpfull staff.
The city center just a ten minute walk by the canal. Very easy access when comming from Switzerland, easy to leave too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Ok, I give it a 4 not a 5 just because it's not a 5 stars hotel, and I'd say it's not a typical charming lovely hotel for couples. But I traveled with a friend for the week-end, stayed 1 night, and this place offers everything that's needed for a very affordable price. There's a parking right in front of it, it's close to the train station, walking distance from the center (everybody says 15 minutes, but it actually felt like less), we heard absolutely no noise, the beds were really comfy, everything was clean… I was definitely positively surprised!
I also read some bad comments about breakfast, well I just thought it was perfect : fresh orange juice, variety of fruits, 3 different breads, croissants, pains au chocolat, marmelades, nutella, honey, ham, cheese, cereals, coffee, tea… How is that limited choice??? It was great, that's what it was!
I would definitely go back and would recommend it, except for a romantic getaway ;-)

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors might be more quiet...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WendyTestaburger
Hsinchu City, Taiwan, Republic of China
Reviewed 29 June 2014

雖然有點貴,但整體而言是個讓人還算舒服的旅館。免費早餐很棒,也有像其他Ibis Styles旅館一樣於日間在大廳提供免費的礦泉水、咖啡及點心。旅館的裝潢色彩豐富。前檯人員也很樂意在我們的要求下替我們代寄明信片。另一方面,旅館在我們預付全額價格的3天後推出特惠活動,卻不願意退我們差價,這部份讓人有點失望。另外,雖然旅館名字有「gare centre」,不過其實離火車站有點距離,但整個市中心也都還在走的到的範圍就是了。旅館前方的公用停車場付款機器印象中有2小時的限制,所以日間要一直回去投幣,有點麻煩。

Although a bit expensive, this is a generally agreeable hotel. The free breakfast is good, and as other Ibis Styles hotels the hotel provides free mineral water, coffee, and light snacks during the day at the lobby. The hotel has colourful decoration. The front desk also happily sent some postcards for us upon requests. On the other hand, we were a bit disappointed because the hotel started to run a promotion just 3 days after we made the non-refundable reservation, and they were unwilling to refund us the difference. In addition, even though the hotel name says "gare centre," it is not that close to the train station, although the entire downtown is somewhat walkable. We also had to keep adding coins to the parking lot meter during the day (public parking in front of hotel) as it has a 2-hour or so maximum time limit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 June 2014

When I first researched for places to stay for a short weekend in Annecy, many of the hotels were already full. So I had very limited choices and this hotel came up. I didnt feel that there were many good reviews on Trip Advisor and regretted booking it, until I was staying there of course.

Location:
The location was one area I was concerned with. On Google Map, it looked like a walking distance from the main city centre area of the old town (Palais d'Ile, Chateau, etc). But it's actually just a 15-20 mins walk away from the old town. Annecy is a very small area with all the attractions concentrated within walking distances.

It is also actually very close to the SCNF Gare (Main train station) once you arrived into Annecy. It is just a 5-10 mins walk up straight to the hotel from the train station. Tip: Turn right after exiting the station, and keep walking up that main road, you will see Best Western Hotel on the left. Further in the smaller road, you will see IBIS Styles on the right. It is very feasible and easy to walk there even with heavy luggage. I was pleasantly surprised.

Hotel & Room:
The lobby and breakfast area are all very comfortably furnished. The room I stayed in was 310- on the 3rd floor. For a single person, the double bed was a luxury and the terrace was nice with a view of the mountains in the distance. Unfortunately, I was not high enough, else I would probably see the lake.

What I liked most about the room was that there are many power points for me to charge my gadgets, and many small ledges/ tables for me to put my stuff.

The toilet paper holder however, was not optimally positioned, and the space between the toilet door and the toilet bowl is super narrow. Not a problem if you are staying alone. The blue basin, while nice, is not deep enough. You will end up wetting the surrounding areas if you on the tap with a slightly stronger water flow.

The room is quiet but due to paper-thin walls and close proximity of the rooms, it could get very noisy. I heard quite a number of banging sounds from people packing their luggage upstairs or beside (I cant tell), and conversations of people out in the corridors or returning to their rooms. I tried to sleep later on a Sunday morning, but was woken up by 8am or so by an incessant flow of conversations and activities outside the corridor, or above.

Nonetheless, the sleep throughout the night was peaceful and quiet, so I think there's no problem if you can put up with a little noise in the day or sometimes early morning or late at night.

The breakfast is very limited as mentioned by another reviewer. There are a variety of breads, some cereals, and some ham or salami. That's it. I would have expected more variety.

Also, to me, the hotel did not come cheap, though I think in Annecy (which is rather touristy), it's difficult to get any cheaper. I was surprised to read that someone paid 263 euros for 4 days. I paid almost 200 euros for 2 nights. I wouldnt consider the hotel value-for-money, but I think my stay was good.

Cleanliness:
I would consider the room generally clean but I found stains on the carpet near the doors to the terrace, and also coffee mug stains on one of the bedside tables. When I checked in and was entering the room, the cleaning lady was still inside there doing the finishing touches. Hence, I think it was not completed but I would say the whole room is clean and neat.

Service:
The service was variable. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a shoulder length, red hair lady. She was bespectacled and was friendly. Luckily, she was also the same person whom saw to my check-out, because she was the only one whom I think is friendly and has good service. During my 2 nights stay, I saw a couple of other ladies whom did not do the usual greeting of Bonjour or Bonsoir. On the 2nd day, I was starting to feel sick and wanted to see a doctor. I called the reception, and asked if she speaks English. She said no. So I asked her in French if there's a doctor in the hotel. She said no. I asked her if there's any clinic nearby where I can go to. She said she do not know. And that was it. No sense of customer service to ensure that the guest staying in the hotel is well. I ended up taking some medicine I brought and tried to sleep my sickness off. I am less than impressed with the service.

Safety:
I generally found the area to be rather safe with no problems, even as a single female traveller. Probably I did not have a car with me. Also, there are quite a number of Turkish cafes/ bistros in the area where you can get kebabs and burgers at a cheaper rate than the restaurants, and there can be many men hanging out in such bistros. Again, it was on the main road, and I did not find much problem.

I recommend this hotel for short stays for its good location and generally comfortable, clean, and nice room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Slersh
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

recently took a trip to Annecy in france.after searching lots of hotels,in every price range,plumped for ibis center in old town.having already read up on trip adviser.was not disappointed,perfectly situated,in centre,close to lots of bars and restraunts.they also have a deal with underground car park,were you can park your car for 2 euros,first day.directly nxt to hotel.prices are superb we got 4 days with breakfast for 263 euros brill.rooms are quite small but perfect for a couple of days.breakfast is continental,and bar prices reasonable.reception was really helpful.also good access for disabled.well done to previous ta,s for recommendation you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: rooms on the back have best views not ground floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Pune, India
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel is clean and very affordable. However, there are little issues like some of the front desk staff were not well versed with English (some were really good). Hence I ended up without getting one of the breakfast invoices (I was unable to make her understand what I want). Breakfast menu is very limited. Good part is that the markets and restaurants are a walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
jean luc j, Gérant at Ibis Styles Annecy Gare Centre, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your positives comments about our propertie. Normally, our staff can easely understand the english and maybe she did'nt understand what you want precisely about the breakfast because there is no price for it ! the reason is that it is included in the room price.
We are quite disappointed that you did'nt appreciate our breakfast because it contains a large quality choice (viennoiseries, different sorts of bread,salami,hard eggs,fresh orange juice, hot drinks, fruits, 4 sorts of artisanal jams...etc
Thank you again about your comments.
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Although there is a closer Ibis to the old town this hotel is still only a 10 minute walk. Usual predictable experience. Friendly and helpful staff, clean modern room, good sleep, good breakfast. NOt much more to say really....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
jean luc j, General Manager at Ibis Styles Annecy Gare Centre, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay

We look forward to welcoming you again at ibis Styles.