“Great location”

Splendid Hotel
Ranked #3 of 47 Hotels in Annecy
“Great location”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Stayed 3 nights in this gorgeous town. Had a corner room facing the lake and mountains-fabulous views, double glazing so very quiet room. Room was really big and well furnished-lovely modern bathroom. Complimentary waters and macaroons on arrival. Excellent restaurants and shops within a few minutes walk. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Only problem we had was arriving at a very busy peak hour traffic and not knowing were to park we drove around before eventually double parking out he front of the hotel. Once given instructions-parking was close-not free but reduced rates for the hotel guests.research where to park before arrival. Really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Corner room will give you more space and several windows with balconies -ask to over look the lake...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debra C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Fantastic 3-star hotel. Great rooms with all the amenities. Our room overlooked the lake. Perfect location too. Right between the retail and historic precincts. Easy walking to everywhere. I'd highly recommend Hotel Splendid to anyone coming to Annecy.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ohoka
MALTA - EUROPE
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed early July 2013 for 3 nights bed and breakfast basis.
Undergroung car park just opposite hotel - excellent value, was not expecting to pay so little - hotel takes charge of a considerable number of hours per day and you only pay the difference!
Spacious room with wonderful canal and lake views.
Room was clean and beds very comfortable.
Air-conditioned.
Ample buffet breakfast - terrace overlooks lake/canal.
Perfectly located in the historic centre of Annecy.
Maybe room rate was a bit above average, but would certainly return.
Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal/lake view room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SCERRI_RUNCO
San Mateo
Reviewed 19 August 2013

The Splendid Hotel in Annecy is not splendid, but it's ok. I didn't do a good job researching the city or the hotel. Somehow I had the impression that Annecy would be a small wooded resort town on a lake and that the hotel was right on the lake. Both assumptions were dead wrong.

Annecy is a city and very urban. It doesn't have many more trees than most places. It is on a lake. The hotel is a few blocks from the lake, but faces on a nice, large park that reaches to the lake. I had read about "picture-postcard views". There are some, but you have to look for them and none are from the hotel.

I stayed two nights in August, 2013. This was at the peak of the vacation season and there were literally hordes of tourists and extremely heavy traffic congestion. Combined, these factors created an unpleasant experience. I do not recommend visiting Annecy in August unless you really like a Coney Island beach atmosphere.

The old town in Annecy has a nice character, but this was largely obscured during my visit my the crowds of people everywhere. It was difficult to get away from shoulder-to-shoulder people. They were thickest in the vicinity of eating places of which there are many.

I did not start off well when I arrived in my room. The telephone was dead and the safe was locked. These problems were quickly remedied, but I had more problems later. The night desk clerk turned off his phone, requiring an elevator trip to the lobby to make a request. The hotel is air conditioned, but it cannot be turned off except from the front desk. I requested this both nights and accomplished it one night. The hotel does not provide face cloths, making it necessary to use one end of a hand towel as a washrag.

The room was too small for the king bed in it. The small desk was so cramped I had to sit at its only corner. There was a walk-in shower, but no tub. Internet access was free and ok. The room had a love-seat, but no other seating except for the small desk chair. The bed was satisfactory. The room was clean, but undistinguished. Lighting was very dim. My window was double-paned and that was effective in reducing outside noise.

The hotel has an excellent location on the edge of the old town. It is walking distance from the train and bus stations. Public transport between Annecy and central Geneva is by bus. This is inexpensive and takes about 1 1/2 hours. There is train service, but not to central Geneva. A daytime front desk person was helpful in helping me understand how to get to Geneva by bus.

The buffet breakfast was good and cost a very reasonable 13.50 CHF. The hotel was inexpensive and that was appropriate.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tipster2000
Sydney
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We recently stayed at The Splendid Hotel and enjoyed our 3 night stay there. Unfortunately we were given a corner room which had an extremely weird shaped bathroom (quite difficult to use). The safe didn't work either and the door stayed open which meant that each time we tried to open the wardrobe door we had to push the door shut. The room was very nicely appointed and the bed was very comfortable. Our room had partial street view but we didn't find much street noise at all. We did sleep with the air conditioning on though. One other small complaint is that only 1 very small cake of soap was supplied for 3 nights and it was just as well that I had brought my own.
The staff were extremely friendly and extremely helpful. Parking was nearby at the Town Hall car park and the hotel pays for parking from 7PM until 8 AM which is great.
I would definitely stay here again as the location is just fantastic across from the lake and around the corner from the old town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Kfar Saba, Israel
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed there for two weeks. It was great. The staff is very nice and helpful. The rooms a clean and comfortable. The only disadvantage, you can not sleep with open windows because of the noise coming from the street. You can not ask for better location. Just by the old city, next to the lake. Great hotel!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Cremieu, France
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My partner booked this hotel for my 40th birthday as it included a boat trip along the lake. We arrived, expecting a lovely, peaceful room overlooking the canal (as per the hotel pictures). Instead, we got a noisy, soulless room overlooking a very busy main road...then the canal...we immediately felt slightly cheated, and there was absolutely nothing special about the room or facilities at all. The air-con also wasn't particularly strong, therefore we had to put up with the noise from the main road. It was an important occasion and we therefore decided to make the most of everything, so we left the room as soon as we could.

The biggest issue we had was that around 10:00am a woman let herself into our room (my partner was having a shower and I was lightly sleeping, atop of the covers, naked). This didn't phase the woman at all, who proceeded to ask me in French "can I check to see if you have taken anything out of the mini-bar?". I was slightly groggy, confused and thought I was dreaming! She then strode over to the mini-bar, looked inside and then stated all was well. My partner by this time, obviously curious as to why his partner had suddenly developed an extremely good French accent, came out of the bathroom to find a strange woman leaving our room! My partner did state that he complained and that the staff were apologetic. Still, very strange to say the least!

We're it not for the fact that the cruise along the lake was so fabulous, and that Annecy is such a beautiful place, this could have been a nightmarish 40th birthday! Would we stay here again? No, absolutely not!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the other side from the main road, it would hopefully be quieter than those abo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple