“Amazing hospitality, reasonably priced -- and very comfortable beds!”
Review of Chalet les Frenes

Chalet les Frenes
Ranked #11 of 29 Chamonix B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing hospitality, reasonably priced -- and very comfortable beds!”
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I came here to ski for the weekend after a business trip. Unfortunately, the snow had melted and I was close to canceling my trip -- but I'm really glad I didn't. The Chalet had a beautiful setting in the Chamonix Valley, and the owners could not have been more hospitable. I arrived late at night to a warm and cozy room. Breakfast the following day was delicious and copious -- pan de chocolat, cereal, tea, juice, fresh-baked bread... One of the owners was also around to give me suggestions to do for my non-ski weekend. He also loaned me a bike to get around town (less than 10 minutes away), and let me borrow a pair of sneakers because I had forgotten to pack non-dress shoes! I had to leave early the following day, and they helped me to arrange a cab and set the oven timer so I had a warm pan de chocolat for the trip back to Geneva. My room was small, but the bed was incredibly comfortable and had 2 windows looking out onto the lawn. The bathroom was spotless.
The location is not ideal for going to a pub or skiing, but there are buses in the morning if you're skiing, and town is not such a long walk away. And everything else more than makes up for it!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank me6ra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2011

The Chalet les Frenes is a quality place, the views surrounding the Chalet were amazing, everything you need is a short walk away, for skiing its right in the middle of choice, also party time is a short 10 minute ride to Chamonix central, Michele who welcomed us at the Chalet was totally the perfect hostess, friendly, outgoing and made us feel right at home, I can't recommend this place enough !!

Room Tip: All are adequate !!
Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThomasP26
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 March 2011

If you like to stay in a more authentic chalet with a personal atmosphere than you're here at the right address. Cosy twin rooms, basic breakfast, great views, quiet surroundings but easy transportation to Chamonix center and very friendly hosts.
This is a place where I'd come back in summer for some hiking/mountain biking!

Reviewed 11 March 2011

Dinomarino's review sums it up nicely. It's potentially a decent, good value chalet close-ish to chamonix.
The owner needs to get the service right and make the guests feel welcome. I genuinely felt like an uninvited guest in someone's house. To find the place empty, unlocked and unclean was a really bad first impression. Not to mention the dog!
If you're running a place like this you should get the basics right.

A small change in attitude and this would be a perfectly good place to stay. Suggest any future visitors have clear dialogue with owner before arriving. That might do it??!

• Stayed March 2011
philhennem, Owner at Chalet les Frenes, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Sorry you found the place unlocked but it is a B&B, people come and go all the time and guests frequently leave the chalet unlocked (as you guys did).

And yes, the skiroom may have been a little untidy but we had to leave early that morning before outgoing guests had left and only had the opportunity to finish cleaning when you guys had already arrived.

And the dog! You knew we had a dog, I had told you in emails previously. Seems a bit petty to complain about something you had been forewarned about no? Most people love Pepper as he is such a good natured animal.
Leeds
Reviewed 11 March 2011

It's all there but it ain't all that!

As we entered the Chalet we had to check whether or not we were in the right place, it looked live in and there was a good reason for that..... it was! It turned out to be OK just not what we were expecting.

Overall review of the place is that it is just below average.

Our rooms were clean and had everything we needed. The owner seemed to think he was doing us a favour by letting us use the Lounge area/ dog bedroom. Apparently if you are not a large group he doesn't let you do this, (would have been very disappointing without it).

Kitchen wasn't the cleanest, bath/ shower rooms were serviceable.

Taxi's are expensive and as this place is just off the main road and a good few miles from Chamonix centre you need to factor this into costs.

The hot tub was just a garden ornament. We didn't use it as we just didn't fancy crossing the muddy garden in just a towel. Take your trainers and a torch if you plan to use it.

If you just want a place to sleep and dump kit, it works.

philhennem, Owner at Chalet les Frenes, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
If this client didn't get what he was expecting, he should read more carefully what he is booking. Of course the place is lived in - myself and my girlfriend "live in". I thought this was pretty obvious for a B&B. You do you think would be doing your breakfast?

I am sorry the client had to walk across wet grass to get to the hot tub but in spring when the snow melts, the garden does get a little soggy. A minor problem that donning a pair of shoes would solve
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Upon arrival the chalet looks a little remote from anywhere, apart from the main road! The 1st thing that hits you are the views - spectacular!!!!

Chalet les Frenes and its grounds looks average from the outside - nothing that a little time, money and TLC wouldn't go amiss! (Same could be said for inside the chalet too)

After finding out for ourselves the whole place was unlocked we were a little shocked to find a number of things:-

1. Nobody about?
2. Kitchen smelled awful
3. Lounge still in an untidy state
4. Previous guests items such as a handbag, suitcase and ski wear available for anyone to take
5. A dog

We finally got to meet the owner, who was British but wasn't the warmest of blokes - seemed more interested in accusing us of breaking the house rules as we had our outdoor footwear in our rooms - than getting to know us a little or even properly introducing himself to us - GOOD START.......NOT!!!!

I thought the owner was clear with his details regarding breakfast and towels, polite & helpful with restaurant - transport recommendations.
However i just thought he lacked that bit of extra something to make us feel like we were welcome, like paying guests should be - maybe because we were a group of 10 men and he'd written us off already? - no excuse really.

The only off putting thing for me was that the owner, his partner and dog all live in the Chalet which was quite unexpected, after a nice meal and a few beers out we would have liked to have just chilled out and had a beer in the lounge - but instead found the owner and his partner cuddled up on the sofa watching a movie in the darkness!!! Not good and didn't find it very relaxing.

philhennem, Owner at Chalet les Frenes, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Responding to this guests comments....
1. Nobody about?
He knew this would be the case. I had texted him and emailed and told him as such. He had the code to get in, find his rooms and make himself at home.

2. Kitchen smelled awful
Kitchen does not smell awful. This is a plain lie. If the kitchen smells of anything, it would be fresh ground coffee and freshly baked bread

3. Lounge still in an untidy state
As I stated to this guests colleague who also wrote a less than fair review. We had to leave early and finished the cleaning when we got back.

When some guests vacate their room, they don't plan to leave until the evening and we allow them to store their luggage in the skiroom. Guests have found this to be a useful service and I think to criticize us for this is petty, selfish and short sighted.

5. A dog
The guest was told we have a dog. Most people love him.

Other points this guest made..." the owner, his partner and dog all live in the Chalet which was quite unexpected,". Of course we do, it is a bed and breakfast, a guesthouse. Who would you expect to do the breakfast?

And yes, I did ask the guest and his friends to remove their shoes (after first introducing myself and checking that everybody was OK). I don't think this is untoward. I do however think it is untoward to ignore large "remove outdoor shoes" signs and continue treading dirt around someone's house.

Basically, this client didn't read what he had booked and the poor snow conditions didn't help. It's a B&B, the owners live in, they have a dog. If you don't want this, don't book. If you want simple but comfortable accommodation on a small budget and an owner who is helpful and friendly, this will suit you just fine.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Waking up at Chalet les Frenes each morning was unbelievable. The views were unreal. There are lots of hiking trails nearby, with gorgeous river and mountain views. Phil, our host, was very friendly and accommodating!

We didn't find it a big deal to get from Les Bossons to Chamonix. You can hike there and back, or take the train which is about ten minutes.

We got everything we wanted out of Chamonix, yet we got to stay in a more secluded and quiet area with our own private views and at a more inexpensive price. Bathroom was great, showers were hot, bedrooms were comfy, wifi worked pretty well.

Definitely worth it.