Upon arrival the chalet looks a little remote from anywhere, apart from the main road! The 1st thing that hits you are the views - spectacular!!!!
Chalet les Frenes and its grounds looks average from the outside - nothing that a little time, money and TLC wouldn't go amiss! (Same could be said for inside the chalet too)
After finding out for ourselves the whole place was unlocked we were a little shocked to find a number of things:-
1. Nobody about?
2. Kitchen smelled awful
3. Lounge still in an untidy state
4. Previous guests items such as a handbag, suitcase and ski wear available for anyone to take
5. A dog
We finally got to meet the owner, who was British but wasn't the warmest of blokes - seemed more interested in accusing us of breaking the house rules as we had our outdoor footwear in our rooms - than getting to know us a little or even properly introducing himself to us - GOOD START.......NOT!!!!
I thought the owner was clear with his details regarding breakfast and towels, polite & helpful with restaurant - transport recommendations.
However i just thought he lacked that bit of extra something to make us feel like we were welcome, like paying guests should be - maybe because we were a group of 10 men and he'd written us off already? - no excuse really.
The only off putting thing for me was that the owner, his partner and dog all live in the Chalet which was quite unexpected, after a nice meal and a few beers out we would have liked to have just chilled out and had a beer in the lounge - but instead found the owner and his partner cuddled up on the sofa watching a movie in the darkness!!! Not good and didn't find it very relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free breakfast, bike hire and jacuzzi. A typical alpine chalet offering an economic alternative to costly hotels and catered chalets. The chalet is set in the corner of an alpine meadow and looks up at the mont blanc massif and it's glaciers. There are 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a terrace and huge garden for you to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms and Evoline ltd so you can book your Chalet les Frenes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.