“Highest cable car ride in Europe.”
Review of Aiguille du Midi

US$90.06*
Chamonix Montblanc Day Trip from Geneva with optional Cable Car Ride and Lunch
US$369.50*
and up
Private Tour: Mont Blanc and Chamonix Day Trip from Geneva Including Michelin...
Ranked #1 of 69 things to do in Chamonix
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: From Chamonix (1035m), fly over the forest to reach le Plan de l’Aiguille in 10 minutes (2317m). On your right, the Glacier des Bossons, in front of you the Mont-Blanc (4810m), on your left the Aiguille Verte, the Drus and the Aiguilles de Chamonix. Then take a second cable car which, in just 10 minutes takes you up to 3777m, over the seracs, the glacier des Pelerins and the hanging glaciers on the north face of the Aiguille du Midi. . From the top, a sightseeing panorama unique in the world. Experience a very high altitude.
Gosport, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Highest cable car ride in Europe.”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A must visit if in Chamonix. If weather is decent the views from the top are amazing. Being a glacier there is always snow :-)

Visited July 2014

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Worth every penny on a clear day...”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Can't get enough of the view. Coffee and the baguette seemed to taste even more delicious at this altitude.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ochrisc
Dundee, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Worth the money to see the tops of the mountains”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is an amazing trip and well worth the money.
I nearly never got on the second cable car up the mountain because the first one had swung about quite a lot and I was feeling a bit rough. I am so glad that I got on the second car (mostly because I figured I had paid my money so I had better complete the trip!) because the second ride was better than the first. The car was full and so I stood in the middle so as not to be scared of the height as I looked out of the window. Funnily enough once I got to the top, I enjoyed seeing how high up I was!
The route was very busy and so we were told we could only come back down during our allotted time, which was two hours later. Two hours was quite a long time to keep two children amused once we had wandered around and admired the views and the mountaineers and base jumpers across the valley. So we hung around the departure area and a kind guide fitted us into an earlier return car when space became available.

Visited August 2013
Brisbane, Australia
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Amazing trip - go early on a clear day!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a clear day so seized the opportunity and got to the ticket office for 8am with our 3 kids. We have found it difficult to obtain written tourist information on the hikes and cable cars here (compared to the Jungfrau region in Switzeralnd), and did most of our research on the internet. This seems to have been other people's experience: the queue was very slow-moving due to tourists going to the ticket window and saying "where can we go and what is the difference between the passes?". This was exasperating for many in the queue and it took a good 20-30 minutes to buy a ticket.
Then in the next queue for the lift there was a group from Chamonix Mountain Guides (as advertised on the leader's fluorescent jacket) that pushed through the queue to the front, saying they were going up to hike. This was evident from the ice axe on the back of one of the group's backpack that very nearly damaged my 4 year old's face! The lift opened at 7.10am that day and it was nearly 9am by then, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

So - definitely go early as you can. Organise tickets in advance if you can - but how will you predict the weather is harder to say! If you have young children in the crowds, beware ice axes on backpacks (there is a sign to remove them in the cable car itself but not in the queues which can be brutal!).

Lots of great advice here on TA that I support - esp the warm clothes and going on a clear day.

We went straight to the top, straight to the elevator to the top, had a look around on the various terraces. I am in good health with no medical problems but did begin to feel the effects of the altitude after 20-30 minutes. Mild headache and nausea. The nausea settled quickly on going down, I took some headache tablets when it didn't settle so quickly.

Re children up there: they don't let you take a child under 3 for medical reasons (altitude I guess) and it is also a very steep climb in the cable car. Our kids (4,6,8) were fine, the older ones did say they had a bit of a headache. My 4 year old was very warm but very cranky and I think she didn't feel great either. In July they wore thermals, had a micro fleece jacket, windproof jacket, beanie and gloves.

We ate in the cafe so my husband could take photos. It was busy and crowded at 10.30am, but the staff behind the counter did their best.

After our visit here we went down to Plan d'Aguille and walked across to Montenvers, which was also beautiful.

Highly recommend going with the above advice in mind. Stunning, beautiful - don't miss it. Worth the nuisance of the crowds on a clear day definitely.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank brisbane_familyof5
Perth, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fabulous - wrap up warmly”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The cable car up is slightly scary but so worthwhile when you reach the summit. Very chilly at the top & warm clothes are a good idea (we went mid season in October). The view was stunning but you do have to pick your day as the cloud cover can obscure everything.

Visited October 2013