“Don't do it, it's just awful.”

Hotel Croix-Blanche
Ranked #53 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed 13 January 2014

There are a lot of dated, shabby hotels in France, and some of them are charming. This is NOT one of them.

The hotel is downtown, in a good location, with parking available. Everything else about it is miserable.

Very unfriendly staff, and owners. The plumbing is a century old, and the entire ground floor smells like backed up sewage. The wifi is impossibly slow, and only works in the lobby, not in any of the (small, poorly lit) rooms! As if that weren't enough, the mattress is probably older than I am.

I'm very disappointed that I have to stay here another night and strongly recommend avoiding this place. (I can't believe they let themselves be featured on TA).

Although I am new to tripadvisor I have traveled extensively in France. I don't see how this place could receive a positive remark based on anything other than its location. If you have experience of other hotels in this price range, then you will likely be seriously disappointed.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jimmy H

Reviewed 10 January 2014

The location is great, right in the middle of Chamonix. The rooms were very dated and old fashioned and rather shabby. I found this to be somewhat charming as I was reminded of some French hotels I stayed in when I was younger. My husband found the place tolerable only because we stayed only one night. The staff was not helpful and altogether rude and grumpy. Breakfast was not included in our rate.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I found croup Blanche on hotels.com and liked the price. We loved the location and it could not have been better but that's it. Our room was clean but super tiny. it had however an old-fashioned charm. Staff is clueless- refused to provide restaurant recommendations, basically said all restos are the same. Would go back if we get a good price.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 8 October 2013

When I arrived at this hotel, it was the end of September. Although the hotel was very central, it did appear to be a little shabby. First thing I noticed was the very dirty windows on entrance, then at reception a smile would not have gone a miss to welcome us. I proceeded to my room, comfortable, but a little dated now and no tea and coffee facilities, but we did have a glass.

The decor was shabby with a leaking radiator and tiles missing around the bathroom , I think the drains are all linked as there was a smell somedays, not really pleasant.

The breakfast room was also a tapas bar/cafe and open to anyone who wanted to come in, a bit cafeteria and not very comfortable. Breakfast was very basic, the only thing hot was an egg, and you had to cook this yourself, oh and coffee, which was not very hot. I gave this a miss and had breakfast out.

I did not feel this warranted a 4 star hotel, it may have been in years gone by, but my rating would be a 2 and I feel this is being generous.

Forgot to say parking is a big issue, (only spaces for about 12 cars at a push) when I went there was only a handful of residents in the hotel, which could park ok, but if the hotel was any fuller, there would be nowhere to park at all. Big problem. View from room was excellent, Mont Blanc in full view.

Room Tip: I booked a superior room, which was just ok, so don't know what the standard rooms are like.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ley W
Reviewed 17 August 2013

positives: the rooms was clean in general and the hotel is at the heart of chamonix. Staff was friendly and there was an easily accessible parking at the hotel
negatives: no elevator and the water in the bathtub was brown when we first opened the tap

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gina V
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel is beautifully located : most rooms have a great view towards Brevent and Aiguille du Midi. Some rooms have a small terrace. The hotel needs refurbishment (decent tv, wifi, decoration..), there is a feeling to be back in the 60's - nothing dramatic but it would add great value. Otherwise all is clean and neat. There are some suites 2 bedrooms and a shared bathroom. Breakfast is not bad but a little pricey (10.50€). One big asset is the free parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2013

La Croix Blanche is an old hotel and as such certain things such as a lack of a lift in certain parts of the building and scratched woodwork in places are to be expected. Bedrooms are not the same in size and shape (i was aware of this comment from a previously read review and although I didn't see the interior of any other room the floor plan displayed on each corridor/landing showed the relative dimensions). We enjoyed every aspect of my week's holiday at this hotel. The location is superb; right in the centre of town so that nowhere is more than a few minutes walk away. We were on a B&B tariff and so ate at a different restaurant each evening. The breakfast was good but not outstanding; the fresh fruit was not particularly appealing and a lack of anything hot, other than a boiled egg, was a disappointment. The coffee however was excellent. My bedroom (no. 34) had a great view of the Aiguille du Midi, Mont Blanc and Brevant. A late afternoon read sat out on the balcony was a most pleasant experience. There is an easily accessible free parking at the hotel. The service provided by all hotel staff and the manner in which they carried out their duties could not be faulted. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms numbered 21 and above are in the part of the hotel serviced by the lift, (i was in 34 right ne...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends