“Really central but really tired.”

Hotel Croix-Blanche
Ranked #50 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed for 5 nights. I didn't have the breakfast as I knew the supermarket with fresh pastries was just around the corner.

The Croix Blanche is fine if you get it at a good price. I think I paid 95 euros per night which was possibly a little more than it was worth but OK for Chamonix. I also paid 10 euros per night for parking which was worth it as Chamonix is a pain for parking.

My room was really big but a bit dark, a bit tired, a bit boring, a little bit mucky around the edges. The communal areas were quite drab. It's got a really nice outside terrace serving drinks and food on the high street but I've been there before when staying in other Chamonix accommodation so no need to stay there.

On departure my the visa machine couldn't read my debit card and then my credit card. The receptionist was insistant that my cards were to fault and that the machine was working just fine. Needless to say, I went round the corner and used the cards to withdraw cash with no problem to pay the bill! In fairness, she was apologetic afterwards but it was frustrating as I was in a rush.

Would I stay there again? I've stayed in a few Chamonix hotels now and I'd probably stay at one of them first before choosing this one. I'd consioder this place if I could get it for less than 80 euros.

One last gripe. The wifi made me log in with a password each time I tried to use it. It failed more often than not so I gave up on it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room round the back and/or high up as it's right on the main street so the area can be...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ferretbanana

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel with a friend in a twin room. Our room was very spacious and comfortable, though from the floor map, it seemed to be abnormally large in comparison to the other rooms next to ours.
The hotel's situation is amazing - it's situated on the main shopping street in Chamonix, and a minute away from the tourist information office.
It was an excellent deal, given it's location.
They had (free) WiFi in the common area, but no reception in the rooms.
It is outdated, and seems old, but if you want a well situated and affordable hotel in Chamonix, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is located in a good place with everything a stones throw away. Loads of places to eat and drink in Chamonix and they have a brilliant market round the corner, this hotel doesn't allow for self-catering and you would want to after seeing what is available on the market!

We were disturbed 4 times every morning, by cleaning, by maintenance, by the cleaning manager, by someone else...and yes we did have the 'Do not disturb' sign on. With the language barrier, they didn't take the 'no thank you' and instead let themselves in whilst we were in bed. Not impressed at all.

The rooms are fine, clean, standard. In serious need of redecorating and updating! Views are beautiful but they would be from any hotel.

Staff were very friendly on reception..

On another note: Massively recommend Alpybus for transfers!!! On time, safe drivers, brilliant journey and roughly 25EUROs per person!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Location is great...but so are the locations of dozens of other hotels in the area. I spent 90 euros and will gladly pay more money for another hotel so I don't stay here again. Also, the older lady at night, very rude. The younger girl during the day, very nice.

Room Tip: No good rooms I know of.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elwal5
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have spent a week at this hotel on 2 occasions and I still have mixed feelings; it is extremely convenient/well-located and usually can get good deals on rooms. I am comfortable enough there so I keep going back but it has its drawbacks; mainly the staff. It as a historic hotel, which explains the extremely small rooms, and dire need of renovation, and it is charming in a way, but not enough to blind you from the drawbacks. Both times I have stayed I was travelling alone, and living in Francophone Europe I often find service staff - particularly women- treat me much more poorly than when I am with my husband - this comment is not restricted to this hotel, but I did get the feeling as a solo traveller that they were content to treat me more of a problem than a guest. There is one woman who just treats you with such distain you feel uncomfortable even walking through lobby. There is one gentleman that was actually quite sweet and helpful, and a young girl that was much friendlier. In any case, the night I arrived my television did not work; I called down and was told "Well I'm the only one working now I can't leave reception" - sorry I thought you were there to assist guests, not as a security guard. After prodding, she finally came up to my room, the response to my hello was "I doubt there is anything I can do for you". She then huffed at me why I didn't check the antennae myself - I had - and then said there was nothing she could do until the next day - which would have been fine without the attitude. The next day I mentioned it to staff before I left for the day skiing, said it would be taken care of, arrived back and was not taken care of because my key was not at reception - although I had advised them I was out for the day & asked for it to be fixed. Anyway the gentleman on shift had it organized quickly and it was fixed within the hour. As many hotels in this ski town, you are not allowed to take ski equipment up to your room but here the ski room door was wide open almost every time I walked by/was not happy leaving valuable equipment there. Having said that, the place does have its charm and is very central. By the end of my visit the staff seemed to warm up to me a bit but it shouldn't be up to the guest to convince the staff to treat you decently. The waiter who worked the breakfast shift there was very welcoming, nice to sit in there with a tea. Wish breakfast was included but are small fridges & a grocery store next door. Will probably go back again, and continue to ignore the attitude.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Allison_and_Kevin
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The staff is just plain rude. The moste unhelpful I have ever seen. You ask a question in english and they either reply in french or in a unhelpful way. If you do half-board they are even worse at the restaurant. Me and my friend got moved to another table while we were half-way through our main course! They didn't apaologise, the maitre just took a chair from us without asking and then used the second-half of our table to open other table's wine bottles! Breakfast is ok, rooms are old but decent. Go here only if you can't find anything cheaper.

PS. When changing any towels the staff just have them on the floor before changing them in your room. I adivse to go somewhere else if you are allergic to dust.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank I_Giulia88
Reviewed 13 January 2014

There are a lot of dated, shabby hotels in France, and some of them are charming. This is NOT one of them.

The hotel is downtown, in a good location, with parking available. Everything else about it is miserable.

Very unfriendly staff, and owners. The plumbing is a century old, and the entire ground floor smells like backed up sewage. The wifi is impossibly slow, and only works in the lobby, not in any of the (small, poorly lit) rooms! As if that weren't enough, the mattress is probably older than I am.

I'm very disappointed that I have to stay here another night and strongly recommend avoiding this place. (I can't believe they let themselves be featured on TA).

Although I am new to tripadvisor I have traveled extensively in France. I don't see how this place could receive a positive remark based on anything other than its location. If you have experience of other hotels in this price range, then you will likely be seriously disappointed.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business