“Gorgeous Hotel with view on the Mont Blanc”

Le Hameau Albert 1er
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Modern, very well decorated and spacious rooms with balcony and fireplace. Huge bathroom. Impeccable cleanliness and the type of service you would expect from a Relais et Châteaux.
If you want to treat yourself in Chamonix, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Le Hameau Albert 1er

Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed for five days in May with my wife and young (3month) child. The well-appointed room had a generous balcony overlooking Mont Blanc, a large bathroom, and a super-comfy bed. They had also provided a crib, changing pad, and formula bottle heater! Good start.
Two things sum up this hotel perfectly. 1) we had room service the first night. It came course-by-course, with two waiters bringing delicious food in copper covers. It was like a personal Michelin-starred restaurant in our bathrobes. 2) because we didn't have a babysitter the third night, we were going to have room service again. Instead, the hotel arranged a table for us in their breakfast room with a waiter attending to our needs. This was THEIR idea. The service is just fantastic. It's reason enough to stay here again.
I have read a few complaints about the breakfast not being substantial enough. I don't get it. I had eggs and way I liked, toast, pastries, fruit, yoghurt... not sure what else people need!
We had a massage in the spa, which is small but of a good calibre. We didn't eat in their fine-dining room (but wish we had), and the meals in the other more casual restaurant were fantastic. Location is very close to town but far enough not to be part of the mayhem.
Our room was excellent, but you should know it's near a busy road (the new modern building). It wasn't a big enough deal, to be honest, to the extent we have requested the same room on our return in late September.
That says it all, really. We are going back, and will continue to go back if they can maintain this level of service and attentiveness.

Room Tip: It seems the rooms in the modern building are closer to the road, but they are generously appointed...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sean b
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Are you kidding me.....this is the reason why I don't drink the Trip Advisor cool aid. This hotel is the best in Chamonix by far and one of the best hotels in the Alps period. The rooms in Hameau are beautiful and spacious. Granted the rooms in the main hotel are a little tight but they are spotless and pretty. The food and the wine list are the best in the valley. It's in the best location, has great van service and is close to town but away from the drunks. Floating around in the outdoor heated pool watching the clouds roll over Mount Blanc ....it doesn't get any better than this. Out of all of the 4 and 5 star hotels in Chamonix that I have been to, the Albert is in a class by itself.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NYSEski
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We loved our 6 night stay at the Hameau Albert 1er. Efficient and professional service from the staff, quiet, relaxed and comfortable environment only a few mins walk from the centre of Chamonix. There are 2 restaurants on site. We ate twice at Maison Carrier, which was excellent. Lovely pool with stunning views, half indoor half outdoor, which I used every afternoon after returning from our walks. The housekeeping is excellent, and grounds and pool are beautifully maintained.
We had a spacious ground floor room in La Ferme with a terrace onto the garden, and views to Mont Blanc. The room had lots of storage space, a large hallway, and lots of little extras such as flexible reading lights over the bed, as well as bed side lamps, little kilner jars of dried fruits and nuts refreshed each day. The spacious marble bathroom had a large jacuzzi bath, walk in shower and 2 sinks. The only minor criticism was that the sinks were more style over function – those glass-bowl type of sinks with a fixed tap which is in the way. It also had a proper powerful hairdryer- Babyliss 2000 Pro, so girls - no need to bring your travel hairdryer. A pet hate of mine is those captive hotel hairdryers which just don’t blow - so this was a thoughtful addition.

The terrace was well- equipped with table and chairs, plus 2 teak steamer chairs with cushions, perfect for relaxing and admiring the wonderful views.

There is a courtesy car service available if required. We didn’t use this. It is 2 min walk from the back gate of the hotel to the railway station from where you can get the Mont Blanc Express to other towns in the valley, this is not a busy railway so don’t worry about noise or disturbance. We never heard it once. There is also a bridge to the Montenvers Railway, which is a small cog railway taking you up the mountain to the Mer Du Glace Glacier, walks etc.

Other stuff: I will put a trip report on the Forum about Chamonix/travel /walking/ cable cars

Room Tip: La Ferme is set in the gardens, so very tranquil, and its adacent to the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This Relais and Chateau property is certainly the best hotel in Chamonix. It exemplifies the exceptionally high service standards of the better RC properties and is also extremely well done in terms of design with an excellent fusion of old ski chalet style with comfortable modernism. The livery service to the ski areas is terrific.

You can't comment on the hotel without mentioning the significant restaurant ALBERT PREMIERE - which well earns all the accolades it receives. The adjacent bar (ZYNC) is classy and the live music/piano bring an evening elegance to the hotel.

I can imaging skiiing in Chamonix can be challenging without access to services like those found at HAMEAU ALBERT (livery, ski pro, etc) ... so I'm not sure I would really want to stay elsewhere.

The only drawback to this oasis would be it's location near a roadway which tends to remind you that you are in the middle of a bustling town. That said - I'm not sure any hotel in Chamonix is any better in this regard.

Also - the pool is terrific as is the other, less gastronomic, restaurant.

Room Tip: We were in 110 with a direct view of Mont Blanc, however, it was a low elevation so it was near to t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anthony D
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Early March 2012, I came to Chamonix to ski and had no arrangements for the first night. Fairly late at night, I saw the hotel while driving by, and stopped to inquire about availability. From the first moment, all went very well. There was a simple but cozy room for me -- with luxurious amenities -- very kind, smiling and accommodating staff, all questions answered, and a comfortable night's sleep. In the morning, I got directions to ski rental, to ski slopes, perfect parking for my car and a shuttle to the Brevant ski area if I did not want to use the car. Three minutes' walk to the center of town. Excellent breakfast. Subdued but elegant hotel with a great spa, pool and hot tub for apres ski -- with staff always ready to respond to every wish. I seldom do things spontaneously when I travel but I acted on a spur of the moment this time and I was very well rewarded. Please check this hotel out next time you are in Chamonix.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmericaninQuebec
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Actually we have stayed at Albert 1er in summer late in July: my wife, infant baby and myself. We can only give our best recommendations to this venue and help them increase the rating on Tripadvisor, well deserved. Our spacious room was, as far as i recall now, #7 on the second floor of typical French chalet, looking out directly to the garden and Mont Blanc. It has the second sleeping room with single bed near the entry door, which can accomodate a kid or a babysitter. Mostly we have enjoyed tranquility of the hotel and food, both in a regular and especially gourmet restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor, as on the 3rd sloping roof is killing some space
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family