“perfection at auberge du bois prin” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Auberge Du Bois Prin
Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
washington, va
“perfection at auberge du bois prin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2007

After more than fifty hotels in the past five years, L'Auberge du Bois Prin stands out as the best by far! This is the first establishment where we found absolutely everything perfect! We will forever dream of returning, not only to the spectacular views of Mont Blanc but also to the heavenly hospitality of Bois Prin. Tranquil serenity, above the hustle and bustle of Chamonix, yet close to downtown. Luxury without extravagance, comfort without fuss, and real "class" without stuffiness. The staff is genuinely friendly and thoughtful. The accommodations (including the room with balcony) surpass those of the top New York City hotel where we stayed recently. The dinners, a pleasure for the eye as well as the palate, are prepared by a chef who justly prides himself on the products of his own potager: indeed, we saw him at work in his beautiful garden. We especially enjoyed the peace between seasons, but we have no doubt that, even in the busier summer and skiing months, guests are always pampered by the perfection of Bois Prin!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank trimardWashington_Va

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2006

I probably should have done a bit more research on places to stay in Chamonix but this place was rated #1 on trip advisor, and the web site looked nice, so i figured it was worth a shot.

First of all, the hotel is located away from the center of town, probably a 20 minute walk into town, i'm guessing? as a result, it's very quiet, but if you don't have a car, it may not be the most convenient location.
Our experience: we were only staying here for 1 night, just using this as a stopover on our way to Switzerland. We arrived late, a little after 9pm. The reception desk is right outside of the dining room.. lots of people were eating, it looked fairly formal. There was no one at reception, so I attempted to catch the eye of a waitress....finally a gentleman came running over from the dining room, and I told him I was here to check in. He almost seemed surprised that I had a reservation....I told him we had been driving all day, apologized for arriving a bit late (though I'm not sure why...) I wasn't sure if dinner was included and/or if we had booked it with our reservation, and I mentioned this to him, and he said "no. it's too late for dinner." (It turns out dinner was not included, which was just as well.) He brusquely showed me to my room, gave me the key, and was on his way. Not much explanation about our hotel, the room, anything. I know he was busy in the dining room --but still, this place isn't inexpensive....a it would have been nice to feel like they were trying to accomodate us.
Anyway, fast forward. We decide to go out in town, grab something to eat, explore a little. We arrive back just after midnight and the place is pitch black, completely closed up and locked. There's a key pad where you can enter in a code and a buzzer you can ring for the night staff. We were never given a code, nor told that the place would be completely locked up and all we had was a room key. We buzzed and buzzed and buzzzed. No answer. I walked around the side of the bldg trying to find an open door or a light on so i could get someone's attention,. Nothing. I was beginning to think we'd be spending the night in the car.....and was getting more and more annoyed that when we checked in the guy at the front desk didn't ask if we were going out and/or let us know of their "lockdown" policy. We weren't quite sure what to do, but kept buzzing...and then...finally, a young guy who was apparently the night manager (and who we had obviously woken up) appeared at the door and let us in.

So, those experiences obviously colored our stay. Our room, however, was beautiful. Quite large with a huge bathroom, a big down comforter, two tvs, fresh fruit....with a great view of mt blanc even though it was sort of foggy. unfortunately, we didn't have much time to enjoy it ...Breakfast was nice, also surrounded by the beautiful view.
In the morning we had to wait around a bit to check out..this time there was a woman at the desk and she was also busy, running back and forth between the desk and the dining area.

Anyway, no doubt this is a beautiful place to stay. it's possible we just hit it on an off night, but it seems to me the service was pretty lacking. If i find myself in Chamonix again, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank traveling_girls
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2006

To our friends,Madeleine,Christina and Erik,
please except our sincere THANK YOU for making sure, our week in Chamonix and your Bois Prin was truly relaxing and the one we will always remember.

Good luck this Sunday when France will try for second World Cup in 8 years.

Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2005

If you want the best view of Mont Blanc in Chamonix, then this is the only hotel to consider! Situated on the hillside it has an incredible view of Mont Blanc and the Boisson Glacier, also the Aiguille du Midi and the Brevent. Our room (number 9) was large and extremely comfortable, with a lovely balcony with one of the best mountain views I have ever had. The only problem with the rooms was that the furnishings/decor in the room and bathroom need updating, but this did not really matter to us. We had half-board here and the food is wonderful (possibly some of the best food I have ever eaten). The 5 course meal was skillfully cooked with excellent ingredients (they have a kitchen garden and so all the vegetables and salads are fantastic). The cheese course was great, with a huge selection of regional cheeses. The breakfast was also very high quality, with real cheeses, beautifully prepared fresh and cooked fruits and lovely breads, pastries, preserves and butter.
I can highly recommend this hotel, it is now one of our favourites after years of staying in mountain resort hotels.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Anonymous100
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2002

The staff was very nice. There was a bowl of fresh fruit waiting for me when I arrived. Though the rooms may need a little updating, I very much enjoyed my stay. I would recommend the hotel for the breakfast and you can not beat the view.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member