“Disappointed service in Chamonix”

Mercure Chamonix Centre Hotel
Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Rio
“Disappointed service in Chamonix”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I did not have a good experience with this Mercure hotel.
After a long trip I arrived at this hotel around 1:30pm (Sep/15). The room was not available until 4pm.
The following day when taking a shower to drive to Beaune (3 hours drive), the water simply stopped. No more water in the middle of the shower. I was completely soaped.
What to do?
I waited more than one hour but the water did not return.
I tried to find an explanation with the manager, but he was busy.
Mr. Emanuel, the lobby attendant, told me the manager would send me an email with an explanation. I am still waiting for his email.
The hotel rooms are fine with a good view, but I can not accept this kind of service.
I will not come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BragaA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Batu Pahat, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

first of all the stuff provide the accom for the other building, which we dont really like it. Then we ask for a change to the main building, the staff agree with that, in a very friendly way. Breakfast was really really good, to be frank in an amazing way. The room was very very tidy and luxury, good to recommend to everyone there, but not the other building's room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We arrived quite late as we missed our bus from Annecy however all was well as the hotel is located only 30 metres from the Chamonix Mount-Blanc railway station. We were checked-in very professionally and efficiently. Our room was well presented, the bed was very comfortable, only a couple of things with the room that were not as expected. There was no fridge in the room (I am not sure if this is standard), the shower was not so good and the bath towels were frankly terrible (very small and thin). I did not make any comments to the staff as I felt my issues were not resolvable by them at the time.
The restaurant team both evening and breakfast were well trained and very polite. One bit of feedback at breakfast was the quality and presentation of the hot food was not up to standard compared to the rest of the buffet.
Overall the location of the hotel was excellent and every staff member we came into contact with were excellent, if they fixed their water pressure and had better quality bath towels the overall rating would have been higher. Go to Chamonix we loved it and it reminded us of Queenstown, NZ only much bigger!

Tip: Great location and check out the local bar - café across the road - Elevation 1604 they are also a great team with excellent service, food and atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreeMarcoPolo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel was a great place for a family to spend a few days exploring Mont Blanc and the alps. Rustic ski lodge atmosphere, but modern amenities. Very close to downtown, shopping, and restaurants; easy walking distance to park and a playground for the kids.

The staff was very helpful, securing parking for us before we checked in, and generally extremely nice throughout the stay.

The brunch was fantastic!

Finally, the views from the balcony on the Mont Blanc side were unbelievable - morning sun off of the mountains, and evening listening to the waterfall.

Room Tip: get mont blanc side
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights but could not get a neccessary 4th and had to book and move to another hotel further down the road.

Had written to the hotel to find out about getting the 4th night organized 6 months ago but never got a reply from them.

Hotel is relatively easy to find and get to with a big parking area (chargeable) next to the hotel. Hotel is a mere 7 minute walk to the town center and right next to the train station for Chamonix center. Very good location.

Had breakfast on 3 days at the hotel and found the organization very bizzare. Asian guests were allocated 1 section of the restaurant for breakfast whilst westerners and french guests were given a different section. This bizzare 'separation' was consistent over 3 days and just something I have never actually seen happen in any hotel in my 20 years of travel and business stay's in hotels around the world.

Chinese tourist were charged 4 euro for scrambled eggs and pancakes/waffles.

Again, absolutely bizzare for any hotel to be doing this. Not quite sure what the Accor brand are trying to do with this but this was happening on the 28th August and we were just absolutely shocked by this double standard of over charging asian guests.

I can only imagine what would transpire if westerners or french tourist were charged extra $$ for the same in a hotel in asia at another accor hotel!

Breakfast was the same for all 4 days...no change to the menu nor the set up...and the choice was not that great.

Service was decent but don't expect much from the service staff.

Rooms: we had to pay for an over priced 'suite' which turned out to be a room with a small sitting area and an extra bed (chargeable as well for something like $100 euro for a 3rd person). Room stank because the carpet was damp though we just ignored it as best we could given it was difficult to change rooms as they were running at capacity and we were out for most of the days we were at Chamonix.

TV Channels were a bit of a disaster: 3 english news channels..everything else was english. Other hotels in the area are offering english channels and BBC/ITV. Again, don't quite understand why Accor can't add on more english speaking channels.

Front desk:check in was fine. No problems. Check out was fine. No problems. Staff was not so happy when I only returned 1 room key and had to run to get the other key (we were given 2) from the other end of town as my partner had accidently taken hers with her.

Same staff, the next day was totally unhelpful and just had this 'couldn't be bothered' attitude when I queried her about adding my accomodation points to my KRISFLYER loyalty card. It clearly showed on a video screen at the front desk that the ACCOR group were partners with Singapore Airlines and the KRISFLYER membership program but she just brushed me off when I queried her and had a couldn't be bothered attitude to it and essentially brushed me off.

That really really pissed me off to no end. What made it worse is she referred the matter to the front desk manager who was in a operations room and came back with the same answer.

Avoid staying at this hotel unless you really have no other choice and/or need to be next to the train station.

Many other better options and choices 10 minutes away walking distance.

I am about to cut my ACCOR membership card and throw it away.

Will never stay at another hotel from this group.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business