Hotel Les Grands Montets
  • Pool
US$153
US$119
  • Pool
Chalet Hotel Le Prieure(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$116
  • Restaurant
US$342
US$334
Hotel du Louvre(Chamonix)
US$93
Hotel Le Chamonix(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$81
US$135
US$131
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoutdoor jacuzzicable carclassic roomduplex roomski liftski arealemon cakesteam rooml occitanerustic styleinside poolthe hotel is ideally situatedmont blanchotel arrangedhotel doesn t havelovely poolhot tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Due to some subjective reason we started planning our traditional New Year ski break too late in 2011 - it had already been October that year. And after getting "sorry, but we are all booked full" from both Hameau Albert 1er and Grand Hotel des Alps, we did some further tripadvisor search and at last found this "gem". The reviews were all glorious and admirable + we frankly speaking did not get any other worthy offers (99% of local hotels were fully booked for the New Year period), so we decided to book there 2 rooms (1 classic room for my parents + 1 Mont-Blanc suite for me, my husband and our child) and were waiting for our ski vacation with greatest expectations ever since. However, this is what we brought from there:
1. Location. The hugest mistake is to think that the hotel is located in Chamonix. It's NOT. Les Grands Montets lies in Argientiere, a small ski-in/ ski-out village 7 km from Chamonix. The area literally dies after closure of lifts at around 5 p.m. and if you're interested not only in skiing, but some nice apres-ski life (including unhashing walks through illuminated and nicely decorated city streets, dining in upscale restaurants, wine tasting, shopping, etc.) - forget about this place. The bus won't really help you: it runs incredibly irregularly with the last bus leaving Argientiere in 7:20 p.m. (and pray that it did not leave earlier without a prior notice - that also could be a case) and the last bus leaving Chamonix for Argientiere at 22:45 p.m. The taxi to Chamonix center is 35-45 euro one way.
2. Breakfasts. The hotel staff gives you a notice on the lack of onsite restaurant prior to the booking. However, they don't mention that your breakfasts will be cold served either. No hot cereals, no omlettes / fried eggs, no pancakes - same poor stuff everyday (and it's in France!!!) And even you one morning want a simple boiled egg, you will boil it yourself - in case you manage to find a place in a special boiler.
3. Rooms and room-service. Our "suite" was rather looking as a matchbox - too small and terribly law ceilings) - however, I must admit it was very nicely decorated in traditional chalet style. The room was equipped with L'Occitane toiletries which I also find as a plus. Cleaning was made everyday on a really good level. However, there're no teakettles in the room. We once tried to order a couple of teas in our room, but the reception offered us to go down for the tea ourselves - very welcoming, what else could be said ...
4. Wellness area. The fitness zone is reasonably good equipped, the same could be said about sauna and pool area. They also have so called outdoor jacuzzi - avoid it by all means, it contains unsafe quantity of clorine. Literally. I once tried. Never again.
5. Service. However, it there was a proper service at the hotel, it would be even possible to close the eyes on all objective minuses. But there is no service at all. Like, for example, we several times tried to get advice on local Argientiere restaurants. No result. We tried to book a taxi on our way back to Geneve. We've been offered to do it ourselves.And, finally, when we were leaving Les Grands Montets the girl at the reception did not even raise her head to say good buy. Her "service" apparantely finished when we cleared the payments. Not sure when and if it started - if it happened at all:(((

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Olga_Perevertova
Reviewed 9 January 2012

If you are in Chamonix for skiing, as I was recently, this is THE place to be at.
Its almost possible to ski back to the front door from the Grand Montets system!

I found myself staying in the hotel trying to find something negative about it, it was difficult, believe me! Well, better/more stable/quicker wifi connection would be one of the very few details I could point out...

Spotless clean, extremely helpful staff, great spa/outdoors hot tub, good breakfast...
On top of that a good deal on a room with short notice!

Just book it!

Room Tip: Got a last minute deal on a ground floor room for disabled travellers. No views but for the price - a bargain!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2012

As a family out to experience a white Xmas and fit in some skiing this hotel's location was ideal: within walking distance of ski lifts and at the foot of the mountains. Rooms were basic, though the common lounge areas were warm, cosy and welcoming, with pool table, gym and indoor pool. The staff were very friendly and even offered to drive us up the mountain to a nearby cremerie for traditional local cheese fondue, to allow the children the opportunity to toboggan back down the hill after dinner, which added to the whole experience. Would recommend this hotel as a great base to explore the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 1 week in January 2011 for a ski holiday. We rented a car and drove up from the airport in Geneva, so the location in Argentiere was convenient for us, no matter where we wanted to ski. It's about 150m from the Argnetiere/Grands-Montets cable car, and a 10 minute drive to Chamonix proper. The hotel is woodsy, charming and family-oriented. Our room, 217, was a little on the small side, but it had a lovely view of the Chamonix valley and the recently renovated bathroom was great.

The service provided by everyone, particularly Emilie, (including before our stay, when I had lots of questions) was stellar. They go out of their way to make your stay convenient, from selling hands-free lift tickets right at reception, to restaurant recommendations, to use of an "abonnement" to use the Mont-Blanc tunnel at a discount, everything helped make our stay pleasant and fun. Breakfast is lovely, with lots of homemade jams, fresh breads, fruit, yogurts, eggs (poach yourself), ham, etc. The hotel also has a ski locker rooms, with boot warmers so your kit is always safe, and boots are toasty in the morning. Finally, the pool and hot tub are very nice.

If you would like to be walking distance from the great nightlife in Chamonix, this is not your spot. However, if you are looking for value and convenience, and don't mind driving a bit, the Hotel Les Grands Montets is great.

Room Tip: Worth it to splurge on a Mountain spirit room, for the view!
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crewfox
Reviewed 12 September 2011

When I was organizing our two day trip to the Alps, I really wanted to stay in Chamonix. But all the hotels were full, and those that were not were over 400 euros per night. So I looked around a bit more and found Les Grands Montets near Chamonix.

I am so glad we chose it. It was actually nice to drive away from the busy town of Chamonix to the incredibly quiet little village where this hotel is. The hotel is very well maintained, very clean and the hosts are incredibly gracious. The rooms are very comfortable and clean, with Alpine charm. The pool was super clean and fun for the kids, and the hot tub had a gorgeous view. OUtdoor chaises on the terrace overlooking the mountains, balconies with chairs, this place was great.

The thing we loved the most: the breakfast. I have stayed in dozens and dozens of places throughout France, but the breakfast at this place is hands down one of the top 3 I've ever had in Europe. They had EVERYTHING and then some. Homemade jams, honey from the region, meats, cheeses, breads, cereal, fruit salad (delicious), yogurt, coffee, hot chocolate, the list goes on and on. It was so exciting to get up in the morning and enjoy this INCLUDED breakfast.

I highly recommend for any trip to the Chamonix area!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family