“Inghams: the perfect balance of price v. quality” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Sapiniere

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chamonix
La Sapiniere
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Inghams: the perfect balance of price v. quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

My boyfriend and I (ages 21 and 20) had a fantastic holiday here. We were looking for cheaper all inclusive ski holidays, and frankly we were very pleasantly surprised!

First off, the food was brilliant. Cooked breakfast every morning, delicious soups and cakes served every day at 3/4pm (just what you fancy after a tiring day on the slopes), and 5 course meals every evening of your choice (apart from the staff's day off on Wednesday). It was all seriously good quality and beautifully presented - you soon learnt the importance of pacing yourself! The head chef, Mark (who we got to know quite well) previously worked in a Michelin star restaurant and was extremely talented. What's more, the wine is all included as an extra perk.

The staff were the other highlight of our trip. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful, with a good knowledge of the area. As soon as we stepped off the plane we were met by smiling Inghams reps who systematically directed us to the bus for a stress free transfer. The team leader when we were there was a lovely man called Gaz who bent over backwards to make sure we had everything we needed. They even took us on a bar crawl around Chamonix with discounted drinks all the way! You will see how much they need their day off as they work so hard.

The location isn't the best sadly and the lifts require a bit of walking to, but it wasn't really a problem once you got to know where the bus stops are.
The rooms are pretty basic, but they were cleaned daily and ours had a view of Mont Blanc so no complaints there really! The ski boot room was also a bit shabby and not completely secure.
Our trip was made in early December, so the 'early snow' discount prices applied. However this was not the best move as I'd say three quarters of the lifts were closed - either because there wasn't enough snow to cover the runs, or they couldn't be bothered to piste the runs until peak season which was a shame and meant we got bored of repeating the same areas. Fortunately we had a late flight home on Saturday 21st (when the peak season started) so had a morning of skiing down all the untouched, newly pisted, empty runs as it was transfer day!

We booked through a company called Igluski, who get the business for Inghams. The website looks a bit dodgy and there have been some bad reviews about them, but my experience was flawless! I first rang up and spoke to a lovely woman called Emily and she sorted everything for me. Also, if I had a query I rang her personal line and she remembered who I was and sorted it quickly. I was a little worried something would go wrong as it wasn't like other flights I've booked (e.g. we couldn't self check in online) but it all went exactly to plan. I personally think being completely free of stress plays a big part in a successful holiday, and it was exactly that.

I'd recommend Inghams to any kind of party who likes good food, not too bothered about the rough edges, and generally wants to have a fun and relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We were first floor - lovely view but shared balcony. Perhaps 2nd/3rd floor rooms would be better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlotte M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Sherington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

True, the building is tired and in some rooms the equipment and fittings might not be the best.
But.
We stayed here last June on Inghams Mont Blanc Express holiday (a week in Chamonix and then a week in Saas Fee). We had wanted to visit both resorts, were aware of the reviews of the building but decided to take a chance.
La Sapiniere apart the staff, the food, the friendship we found with the other guest (the rotations of tables with other guests at dinner) meant that we had one of the most enjoyable holidays we,ve ever had.
A special mention should go to Joy, the Inghams rep who was great, entertaining, helpful and witty, and helped bring us together, she had a unique gift of being sometimes humorously rude without offending which her guest all enjoyed.
We enjoyed Chamonix did some fine walks on the Balcons, saw the touristy things as well and then travelled on to Saas Fee for the next part of our holiday.
All in all despite a couple of rainy days a great holiday.

Room Tip: Try to book a high room with Mont Blanc views, you will also get to see the early morning para glide...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katengraham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my girlfriend and I agree with what most people have written great staff and food however the rooms are tired the walls and doors are paper thin, if you like to ski hard, enjoy your evening meal and get a good nights sleep then please consider a different hotel

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dazzdunk
Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Having read the reviews of this hotel I had high expectations and some of those were met. The food, the staff, the cleanliness were all excellent. However, the room/sleep and value quality will vary depending on your room.
Some of my party of 10 stayed in the upper floors of the newer part of the hotel and had a great stay. Having had to borrow the rooms for some sleep catch up I can vouch that those rooms are large, comfortable, refurbed and value for money.

However - end up in the old part of the hotel, especially on the lower floor, and you will have constant noise, lower quality room, and little sleep. We were in room 1, directly above reception. We asked for a room swap and were informed the hotel was full.

The rooms walls and door are like paper, the stairs creaky and there are no doors between reception/bar and your room. The mattress was old and sunk in the middle.
Our week consisted of constant noise at all times (guests up and down stairs/in reception/ leaving reception/bar noise) We ended up having to leave the slopes early, so that we could borrow a room from our party to catch some sleep in the afternoons.

I am sure if you are young, and enjoy late nights and little sleep, these older rooms are adequate.
As 2 forty year olds looking for good skiing days, followed by good food/wine and company and a restful nights sleep - these rooms are not value for money!!!

I can honestly say that this was the worst hotel room experience I have ever had. Compared to the rest of my party who had a great stay. This was a shame as the food, the staff and cleanliness really are excellent. Choose your room before you travel!!!

Room Tip: Ask for top floor in newer part of the hotel if you want to sleep during your holiday. 30 and 32 are...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank JackieT666
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Went skiing 11th jan - 18th jan with 3 mates . Had a fantastic time at this hotel the staff were awesome !!!! Hotel a little dated but fits in nicely in the area , Bedroom was a good size and the food was superb !!!!!! Location for ski lift amazing and 5 mins walk into town . Stay here its a great place

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed for a week mid Jan 2014. Group of 4 males, one room in the 'newer' part of the hotel and one room in the original part of the building. Yes, The hotel is a little tired, but great location, great views, great size rooms and very hot/ ample water supply. Also the hotel was kept clean by the staff and if you was to ask me if I'd stay there again… YES.
The negatives: None really.
Chamonix is a resort that means you need to take the bus to the slopes and this hotel is perfectly placed to catch the majority of the buses. At first I found this a little confusing, but the staff (I'll mention them in a minute) are great and explained & supplied us with all the info we needed.
Postives: Staff, staff, food and the staff. did I mention the food????
This hotel is successful due to the commitment and attitude of the staff and the quality of the food.
I'll mention some names…. Helen (manager), Beth, Charlotte, Gareth and Dan (to mention a few). Clearly focused on the guests needs, Nothing was too much trouble. They quickly knew our names and managed dinner service extremely well...
The food, SUPERB. With two Veggie's in our group, we covered the majority of the menu every night and every single dish served was excellent. Some of the best food I've ever tasted. This Chef would not be out of place in a michelin star restaurant. That said, I understand he has handed in his notice and only could be gone by late Feb 14 - I could be wrong ???

In summary - I echo the views of others and would have given this Hotel 5 green blobs (5*) had it had a full refurb.....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gareeeee
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We have just come back from a week at La Sapinière. Absolutely fabulous!!!
Great location, in quiet street but very good access to pedestrian centre, buses, sport centre etc...
Typical French building/decor, hence why some people may describe it as tired but I think it's part of the charm of this chalet.
The food was second to none. Very good breakfast, nice afternoon cakes and amazing dinners! It is great that you have a choice of 2 starters/mains/deserts so there is always something to please everyone. Big respect to the chef and kitchen staff in achieving such pretty and tasty food all at once for the 60ish guests.
As for the staff... They are all amazing. Friendly, professional, welcoming, accommodating, helpful, caring etc...
It was nice to see the management team helping out with meals or bar etc... Always there to support their team and chat to guests.
Too many names to mention, but special thank you to James for keeping our room spotless and always being so helpful.
I would definitely recommend this chalet if you want friendly relaxed atmosphere with gourmet food!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the Mont Blanc. Big balcony and sunny in the afternoon.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple