“Wonderful, professional staff made our stay a pleasure.”

Le Refuge des Aiglons
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
London, England
“Wonderful, professional staff made our stay a pleasure.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Initially I was a bit disappointed by the room on arrival, as I'd paid for an upgrade to a superior room. After a few days, I accepted I was being a bit picky as it is basically a three star hotel and maybe I've just been spoilt in the past. The fixings on some things could do with being looked at. Having said that, the view of Mont Blanc is magnificent and more than makes up for the basic decor.
I have to say, the bed in fact was very comfortable and the walls must be quite thick, as I'm a light sleeper and didn't hear a peep from anyone at night.

What makes this hotel a real pleasure to stay in, are the staff. From beginning to end, we received nothing but a warm welcome and professional service from them all. Anthony, Anna, and Monika (to name a few) are a real credit to the hotel.

They have a nice spa area on the lower ground, where there is a nice hot tub, outdoor heated pool, sauna and steam rooms to chill out in after a hard day on the slopes.
The massage we had was so good, I could have quite easily drifted off in the relaxation room afterwards, but had to go to dinner instead.
The dinner (we paid for half board) was superb. I was a bit surprised to find that we still had to pay supplements if we wanted some of the items, but with drinks, this amounted to about an extra £150 for the two of us over the week, so not too bad and meant we had a greater choice of food.
The breakfast spread was sufficient. A good choice of what I'd call "continental" items, along with some eggs, bacon, sausages and hash browns if you wanted them.

We came here in January for the skiing and were pretty lucky with the snow, as it had dumped about two feet of the stuff a few days before we'd arrived.

The hotel provides your own locker in the ski room downstairs, which is heated and plenty big enough to accommodate two snowboards, boots, helmets and gloves. I prefer this over some places where everything is just left on a rack in a room, where so many people have access.

The position of the hotel to the ski resorts is good in a way, as all the free shuttle buses stop right outside. If for example, you chose to visit the Le Tour ski area (my favourite), it takes 25 mins to get there by bus numbers 1 or 12. I think the buses are about every 10 mins on most days, but the hotel provides a timetable which shows all the routes available.

If you do visit, take a trip into town (less than ten min walk) and stop in "PIE" for lunch. We thoroughly enjoyed a hot chocolate, quiche and pastry here, which is justifiably known as the best in town. Also the Green Soft Bar right next door for some quality Italian styled food!
Be aware that most places close for lunch from 12:00 until 14:30 but the Green Soft Bar is open during this time.

To sum up. I'd certainly stay here again, but feel the room rates are quite high for this type of hotel.
When booking this trip, I chose to go through Direct Ski to get a much lower rate and then paid the hotel directly for an upgrade to a superior room (£25 per night).
I then used Chamonix Express for the transfers to and from Geneva (about £70 each) and flights from London to Geneva with British airways (about £90 each). I chose Business Class on the outbound only, so we had the extra ski carriage free and use of the Terraces Bar at Gatwick, which you can only use if travelling Business or First.
I also bought our lift passes directly via the Chamonix.net local website, which posts them out to you, so you're all set when you arrive.
The plus points of doing it that way, is that you can pick and choose your own convenient travel times, but still get to join in on the "package holiday" excursions they lay on.
Whilst the others were up and out early waiting for the coach, we could have a nice lay in, relaxing breakfast, check out at noon, take a leisurely lunch in town and wander back to get the mini van outside the hotel, for a fast transfer back to Geneva.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: The Le Tour resort has nice Green runs at the bottom for beginners, but as an intermediate, I enjoye...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

We had a great stay in this hotel. The location is perfect (in my opinion) for Chamonix as it is right near a bus stop. These buses bring you to all the ski lifts in the valley. It is close to plenty of restaurants (The Jakyll) and only about a 7 minute walk from the center of Chamonix.

The service was excellent. They went beyond what I would expect to be the norm.

The spa, heated pool, hot-tub etc were lovely. The hot-tub gets a bit crowded but that's to be expected when you have such facilities.

Comes with a boot room for skis and boots and has a nice bar. We didn't try the restaurant but that receives high ratings as well.

All in all, a great stay and would go again with a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Mont Blanc!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Basingstoke, Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Bedrooms a little on the small side, but clean and comfortable.Food acceptable but nothing special. Good location near town centre directly opposite bus stops for free shuttles to ski areas.
Good spa facilities, plus saunas, jacuzzi, and swimming pool, although the latter is outdoor, and whilst heated, if it snows, water soon becomes too cold. Surprised at lack of 'nice' toiletries in bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

Very average hotel. We booked 3 rooms for our family for the WE of the 19/20 jan. So cold in one room that our kids had to ask for an electrical heater. Breakfast in the morning is simple .... and also very average. This hotel is apparently refurbished recently and rooms are OK but with nothing fancy. No minibar which is surprising for what is sold as a 4*. Connectivity is OK but there is a lack of outlets for plugs. The most annoying is this impression that everything is cold in this hotel and cheaply designed. Probably OK if we were in the heart of a main city in Europe but a bit disappointing if you re in Chamonix and look for some authenticity. One final detail which upset me. Only one toilet ... in the lobby area. Imagine the entire hotel going skiing in the morning. Thats where the queue starts.... Overall, if everything else is booked you do not have a bad deal but would advise to look for something a little bit more cozy for that price (220 EUR / night)

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicolas D
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

While staying at a different hotel, we came here to use the spa and for a couple's massage. First the spa itself is NOISY and CROWDED. Totally not relaxing or enjoyable. From loud people to kids running around, it was almost comical.

As for the massage, it was terrible. We each requested deep tissue, and the girls, while nice, barely put even the slightest bit of pressure on our skin. It was like they were simply rubbing oil on us, without any massaging involved at all. I glanced backwards once and noticed my girl glaring off into space, so I cleared my throat to wake her up. Just awful.

Don't waste your money here.

4 Thank Neil R
Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

We went for an early ski trip to Chamonix and we stayed here for 2 nights. It was the first weekend of December and the ski resorts nearby were still closed, so we went skiing in a farther ski resort. The hotel is across a ski lift, very practical for people going for ski. It is also a walking distance to the center of the village, where restaurants, bars, and shops are. It is very accessible. There is also a bus stop just across the road.

The hotel have a private parking (you need to consult the reception) for people bringing cars.

The room that we had was very small. The toilet, bathroom, terrace were all of limited space. You also have to watch out for your head while walking in some parts of it (low ceiling). The bed was very comfortable. There were complimentary coffee and tea supplies. You have to be careful when making noise as you get to hear what your neighbors are up to ;-)

One time, I catch the lady cleaner in front of our room and asked her to please make the room as we are going out at that point, it was early afternoon. She said yes. But then, we arrived at around 8pm and the room was not done. We were upset and called the reception to complain. Since there were no more house cleaners at that time, the receptionist came up fix the bed and changed the towels for us.

We spent few hours in the bar, in front of the fire place. It was nice and quiet.

Apart from it being so basic, staying in this hotel for a weekend is acceptable. Don't expect more.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the highway
1 Thank Cacahuette2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Surprised that the rooms were so basic. The hotel photos are quite deceptive. At the very least I expected proper crockery for the tea & coffee facilities – not paper cups! I don’t feel this is a luxury, just minimum standards. Plenty of storage but as a ski resort hotel I would have expected more places to hang ski jackets and pants to dry instead we had to drape them over the armchair. And the rooms were so dark! Not nearly enough lighting. The scruffy shagpile carpet did not help either. It was difficult to tell if the carpet was clean or dirty but I get the feeling this was intentional! Artexed wall was cheap and nasty looking. A mini bar would have been nice but I guess as a 3-star this would be considered a luxury instead we had to make do storing cold drinks on the balcony. The bath robes and slippers were a nice touch. Room was nice and warm. Bathroom was fine expect the separate toilet was very strange. That’s the only positives about the room. The hotel location is excellent, 5 minutes from town and across the road from the bus stop. The locker room a great feature. I did not use the spa facilities as I did not like the thought of people watching me from the bar! The public areas were nice but I felt the restaurant let it down. Basic design, with a canteen feel. Just no overall warm feeling to the hotel. 15 euro PP for breakfast was in my opinion far too expensive when you have to get everything yourself including tea & coffee. I am not sure what the staff do but the guests should not have to ask every day for items to be topped up – plates, teapots, tea bags, eggs, egg holders, bread, cereal. Staff should keep an eye on this and top up automatically. When I mentioned this to staff he denied ever running out of things!!!! On the last day there was 5 or 6 tables waiting to be cleared away and I had to wait 10 minutes for a table. The whole breakfast setup was unacceptable but unfortunately necessary before hitting the slopes. So we did not dine in the hotel of an evening and did not have much communication with other staff except reception. One lady was particularly good. House keeping were very good. Overall poor value for money and on a par with IBIS hotels, but I guess that’s what you pay to stay in Chamonix at New Year. Just one more further point which nobody has mentioned about Chamonix itself… it’s a lovely little town and picturesque, but what is with all the dog muck? I couldn’t believe my eyes!!! Such a shame.

Room Tip: facing mont blanc - think these are superior rooms
1 Thank liinsh10