Langley Hotel Gustavia
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationhouse bandopposite hotelmont blanclively bartraditional hotelboot roomhalf boardfirst floornoise from the streetbreakfast was excellenthaute routehotel is perfectunderfloor heatingbit datedlarge bathroombrevent lift
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 August 2009

The hotel is opposite the station, about 10 mins walk from the main square.
Some of the staff at reception are very helpful, and really want you to have a nice time. However, the rooms I had (I came back a 2nd night unexpectedly) seemed to have marks on the carpet - it's possible that this is just because they had been cleaned recently and the detergent hadn't dried off properly.... or that the floor was a bit grubby. Bathrooms were absolutely fine and looked spotless.

The first room I had (number 103) is right over the hotel bar - closing the window doesn't block out the noise. The 2nd night I had a room away from the bar - but could still hear some annoying guitarist who thought it amusing to play songs at 2 am across the street !

On the 2nd night, the light in the room was broken - person at reception came up immediately to fix this which is commendable. The room itself though just seemed a little bare. Sure, I wasn't exactly paying a fortune for the room, but the general offering of the hotel seems to excel in some aspects and be deficient in others - the issue is probably consistency in product offering rather than anything else.

Oh yeah - having a huge view of Mont Blanc and a glacier covered in snow wasn't bad either !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank pmbma
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Decided to stay overnight in Chamonix on the way down to Monaco, we didnt have a room booking anywhere so we called into several hotels to check out room rates and availability. This was the last one we went into, and we are so glad we did, the young lady at reception let us choose from 3 different rooms and personally showed them to us. We chose a lovely decent sized room with 2 sets of windows, one overlooked the little coffee house accross the street and the other was overlooking Mont Blanc itself, the view was STUNNING. The room itself was like a mini suite with 2 nice chairs and a little table, the bed was nicely finished off with co-ordinating cushions, bathroom spotless and overall a super find. We are going back to stay in May 2010 as we plan to go on to Brescia for the Mille Miglia. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, its fab!!! Ps. Forgot to mention as we went in and needed a room that night we got it for 60 euros ( bonus)!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Hotel Gustavia is centrally located in Chamonix. The location is the hotel’s best asset. The hotel is owned by a Swedish company and there are young Scandinavians staying here both winter and summer. The reception is OK and the stairway, pub and breakfast room are full of atmosphere. But our room was small and the bath was very small! But when we looked out the old and nice windows we could see the mountains around Mont Blanc! Many young Scandinavians work at this hotel for a period of time. I am afraid that they aren’t as professional in cleaning etc. as ordinary hotel workers…….The breakfast was OK for French standard. I would call Hotel Gustavia a simple hotel with a great location and with a good atmosphere. In Austria or Südtirol, Italy, I wouldn’t have dreamt of staying at a hotel of this standard, but in Chamonix, the hotels are expensive also during the summer months. If I stay here once more, I will ask for a bigger room with wooden floor.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I feel this hotel hasn't decided what is important - its guests or visitors to the bar/terrace. Probably money!! but for how long? In the summer a lot of the guests will be walkers who want to be asleep by a reasonable hour. If this is you forget the Gustavia. A couple of nights a week, if our stay was anything to go by, the bar is given over to a live band, which is well liked by the staff and the locals but as I say for whom is the hotel there? On other nights the outside terrace is well populated by people really enjoying themselves to nigh on midnight. OK not too late but it is if you are going to be on the hills the next days. Oh and by the way to wake you in the morning the hotel is opposite the bus station and the railway station (strangely the.trains were hardly ever heard). Our room was good with a fantastic view of the mountains. They did try to give us a room without a balcony and a view of Mont Blanc, even though we had paid for one. The food was worthy of praise. We ate in and found all the meals superb and the staff very attentive. We also found the house staff very friendly. Come on managers listen to what we're all saying and buck up your ideas because the hotel could be one of the finest in Chamonix. It isn't at the moment!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 August 2008

This hotel was booked for me as part of a group trip with friends – I promptly looked it up on this site and was worried about what I read, to be honest, I really wasn’t looking forward to staying there.

However, the hotel definitely had some redeeming features: breakfast was good with a decent selection of food and drinks (they also didn’t mind if you made a baguette for lunch!), although in true French style, it was a bit of a rip off at €10 a day, per person. The bar was also really good fun when you are in it, with a lively band and good atmosphere. The staff were always really helpful and friendly (although admittedly, I didn’t interact with them too much) and the hotel is really centrally located, which was perfect for our trip.

However…when you are not in the bar, you can still hear it!! (even if you are on the 3rd floor). In summer, the bar shuts at 1am, but people generally sat outside until 2am finishing their drinks, so sleep didn’t happen until they went home! This was only an issue on one night (and to be fair, it didn’t affect anyone else in my group), but as I was there to go hiking and needed to get up early the next morning, it was really annoying.

Also, the rooms are not great, particularly the bathrooms, which are pretty grotty. In ours, there wasn’t a proper shower, it was kind of a wet room, which basically meant you showered in one corner of the bathroom (which meant the water went everywhere and kind of flooded the bathroom!). The bathroom also desperately needed decorating.

All in all, if you are there to go hiking/skiing etc and are not going to be spending ANY time in your room, it’s fine and it does the job. However, if you in any way like your creature comforts, this is not the hotel for you!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends