“Gracious, old world hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Richemond

Hotel Richemond
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Cambridge, Mass.
“Gracious, old world hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed there one night in July. It is set back from the main pedestrian street so there was no problem at all with noise. The big, old-fashioned bathtub made for great soaking, and the high ceilings and large windows gave a feeling of spaciousness to the room. The decor is indeed somewhat dated, but it all seemed appropriate for a hotel that harkens back to the era when people summered at places like this for a month at a time. The breakfast was abundant, and of good quality. The staff members were old world and courtly and charmed us with their politeness. This hotel was definitely a welcome respite from some of the souvenir-hawking, honky-tonk areas of Chamonix, and a great value.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

Finding Hotel Richemond in this expensive resort town was amazing. Upon arrival, my room wasn't ready (about 11:30am so I wasn't expecting it to). The lady at the reception, was amazingly helpful by instantly giving me all the tips on where to visit in the Chamonix Valley, what to see when going up to the Aiguille du Midi...etc.

The hotel is located right in the middle of town at the front, and to the back a major road with bus routes, and a parking lot for those with cars. It is within 10 minute walk to the Aiguille du Midi gondola station.

The hotel looks like an old fashioned hotel from the 30s. Rooms are large with large closets, furnishing traditional although maybe slightly worned, except for the TV. However it's immaculately maintained. Not a speck of dust anywhere. The only problem is the bath tub, which does not have a shower curtain.

There is a small fee of 3 Euros for Wifi for a week (regardless of your stay), but it's only accessible on the ground floor in the lobby or the adjacent sitting room. There is also a billiard room? And a breakfast room which I never even used there.

I would love to return to Hotel Richemond, if I ever come back to Chamonix. Definitely one of my favorite hotels.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

Hotel is very well located in the centre of Chamonix, perfectly placed to explore the town or surrounding area. The bus stop is directly behind the hotel and as I was there for a week's skiing, without a car, this was ideal, as anyone who has skied knows, you don't want to have to walk too far lugging skis and wearing uncomfortable ski boots. They also have a very handy ski room in the basement, accessible via the back door. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and were ever present. I geuss, being a family run hotel, they go the extra mile. Breakfast buffet was very good and served early enough in the morning that I could catch an early, uncrowded bus to the ski slopes. Even though there is an English pub directly across the road and another bar next door, late night noise wasn't really an issue even though I had a street-facing room.

Many reviews have spoken about the decor being tired and dated and perhaps it is but, that doesn't detract from an overall positive experience. Prices are very competitive for a town centre hotel and if a big refurb is carried out, prices I suspect, will skyrocket to beyond my meagre pocket.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank CoolMick
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

I arrived home yesterday with my partner after a great weeks stay at the Hotel Richemond and feel I need to recommend the hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Chamonix resort.

This was my first time skiing, but my boyfriend is a an advanced skier. I had searched for months trying to find a good location and eventually decided on Hotel Richemond, Chamonix.

Yes the hotel is old fashioned but that really didn't matter as everything else was great. The staff were brilliant. They work long hours but always greeted us with a big smile and made us feel very welcome. Whenever we needed to know anything the staff were more than happy to offer there knowledge and advice and would ring around places for us if we needed to know a bit more.

Breakfast was a self serve buffet served between half seven and ten each morning. Lots of fresh baguettes, bread, jams, boiled eggs, ham, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, croissants and pain au chocolate. There was also juice drinks, water, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. The breakfast room looked out over Mount Blanc and was just a lovely way to enjoy breakfast each morning.

The hotel itself was clean and warm and the bed was nice and comfortable. I had a shower every morning and evening and the water was always hot. Clean towels were put in our bathroom each day and the room cleaned whilst we were out.

Hotel Richemond is a family run hotel and has been for three generations. The rumour of the hotel being the former Gestapo headquarters is true. We stayed on the fifth floor of the hotel which is where the prisoners were kept. The doors to the rooms on floor five are old wooden cell doors!

The Ski room is at the back of the hotel is an ideal place to leave your boots and skis for a ten euro refundable deposit. for the week. The ski room leads out to the back of the hotel which is opposite Chamonix Centre bus stop. So you can literally walk out the door with your skis and hop straight on a bus to pretty much any slope.

The location is perfect situated on the main pedestrian high street leading to every bar and restaurant in Chamonix.

I have read other reviews where people complained about the noise of The Pub which is opposite the hotel. I was only woken up once by the noise which was at kicking out time on a Friday night. This was really nothing to complain about.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and I woud definitely stay there again. Chamonix itself is a a very expensive resort so the bargain price of the hotel was great.

CHAMONIX BARS - All the bars are very student like and expensive. Expect to pay at least six euros a pint. The places I'd recommend;
The Pub is aptly named and is literally opposite the Hotel Richemond. Has a good crowd each night.
La Terrace occupies the best location in town and is just a five minute walk away from Hotel Richemond . Downstairs you can expect live music whereas upstairs has a more ‘cocktail’ bar-feel with comfy sofas.
The Jekyll Pub was my favourite place and about a ten minute walk away from the Hotel Richemond. A great spot to catch any sports event as large Tv screens. Comedy night on a Tuesday.
The Chambre Neuf, ten minute walk from the Hotel Richemond and is the busiest bar in town. Probably too busy for me but seemed to be very popular.

CHAMONIX RESTAURANTS - The Jekyll and Hyde is a great place to get some comfort food. My favourite place in Chamonix.
Le Petit Kitchen - awesome little cafe seating just 25 people. Went here for lunch one day and had very filling satisfying meal. Loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MidlandsBubble
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

Very comfortable and convienient hotel. Staff are extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating. Great view of the mountains and good value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

This hotel has it's own quirky charm which truly added to the enjoyment of our whole trip.
We stayed for 8 nights, in the RIchemond which is perfectly situated in the centre of Chamonix town. Just outside the rear of the hotel is where all the busses to the ski lifts depart from, Flegere, Brevent, La Tour Grand Motets etc. You can also walk to the Brevent Lift from the hotel.
The decor at first glance looks dated and it is but dont let this put you off- it is a traditional, family run hotel and it works. The staff are extremely helpful, funny and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel again. If you want 5 star then this is not the place for you but if you want a decent hotel in the centre of Chamonix at a decent price then stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank beeveUK
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

We stayed here in two room for three nights. Our first thought was “Jeez, where did we end up??” From the outside the hotel looks very old and not very well maintained. We were greeted very friendly in good English and went up in our rooms.
The rooms looked like they have never been redecorated. But on the second look you could see that they were very, very clean and we started to like the hotel and thought it actually had its own charm.
The mattresses unfortunately were worn out, but we were so tired at the end of the days that we slept better than we thought we would. The rooms did not have A/C so we wanted to sleep with the windows open. That was not possible because it was fairly loud outside (the room is in the pedestrian zone with a lot of restaurants and bars).
The breakfast buffet was great and had a good variety, especially for French standards.
The hotel offers private parking. The location was perfect, we did not need our cars for the two days.
All the people at the front desk were very friendly, but one woman was the greatest, I unfortunately don’t know her name. She spoke perfect English, her advice was very helpful, and her humor just cracked us up.
We would definitely recommend this hotel, and we would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family