“Terrific stay”

Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Greater Melbourne, Australia
“Terrific stay”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in the heart of chamonix, in easy reach to the bus stop, shops and restaurants, yes it is budget but has a appealing charm about it that the staff and proprietors extend to all guests that other hotels lack. The rooms are basic but comfortable, no shower but the bath tub was great, and the view we had was amazing. We also really enjoyed the breakfasts.
Thank you all staff at Hotel Richemond for a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a good budget hotel,centrally located near Chamonix central and opposite the bus stop which takes skiers to the various lift stations.
Drying room with lockable storage for ski gear,plentiful healthy food for breakfast , comfortable,warm if basic rooms and very helpful and friendly staff make this a good option for those wanting to ski in Chamonix
Only negative is wifi only works in common areas.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor to get a nice view of the town
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Brasil
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was in Chamonix just for a few days before going for the Tour du Mont Blanc and when I booked this hotel, was its location that have attracted me. It is in the main street of this samll town, but it´s a quiet place. The room was ok ( I stayed in a room with a single bed), good enough for a few days, but if you´re planning a longer stay. The bathroom was really french, with a small douche in the bath tub (no place to hang it). When I came back in the end of the hikking I decided to stay there my last night in town. As I had to leave at 5:00 AM, they prepared me an early breakfast. If I would go back? Probably yes.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AdrianaPianetti
El Chalten
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My husband and I loved staying at the centrally located Richemond. It is an older hotel and quite beautiful and grand (compared to, for example, the Alpina, where we have also stayed). The flowers outside, the lobby with its intricate tile floor, patterned rugs, and comfy, soft chairs, and the kindness of the reception staff felt so welcoming when we first arrived and throughout our stay. Our large double room was, we were told, one of the more recently redecorated--beautiful, refreshing colors and lovely furnishings. The hotel staff were all warm, cheerful, and extremely helpful and unhurried when we had questions or needed advice about sights, maps, shopping, etc. The extensive buffet breakfast is another plus. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Peterborough
Reviewed 28 August 2013

After struggling to find the place we were given a warm welcome. The place is clean but a bit tired in terms of décor. If in Chamonix again I probably would stay as it was a reasonable price by Chamonix standards. Beware in the summer there is no aircon or fans and the rooms are very much geared up for the winter. Parking is a bit of a tight squeeze also and we were reluctant to loose our space once we had parked. Chamonix is beautiful but very expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
park city UT
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Please read this review carefully as it really is two separate reviews in one. The Richemond has seemingly been in Chamonix forever. All but one (1) of the rooms remain in appearance much as an English gentleman alpinist would have probably found them in the first half of the last century. In general the hotel retains a genuine, un-rennovated charm which may or may not be what you’re looking for in Cham. There is nothing fancy about the public rooms or the dining room. The front desk is old school. My tiny single room on the 5th floor was just fine for a single, often smelly climber/skier who wanted a cheap, private, warm place to crash between forays into the hills. However, were I on a trip with my girlfriend, I may have been disappointed as there are infinitely sexier places to stay in Chamonix. The hotel is very centrally located in town, being about equidistant from the Midi tram, the Brevent, and the center of all the shopping and the train station. Parking is ample and included, which is quite a score in this crowded place. There is a ski/bot room in the basement which is nice.

Prior to moving into my single room, however, I was sharing a room with a skiing partner and by pure chance we were placed into the one (1) totally renovated room in the entire hotel. This is not a small hotel and I’ve never seen anything quite like this. While the rest of the hotel remains firmly rooted in the early 20th century (down to the light switches, linens, etc.), this one room has been gutted and launched into the 21st century. It is a gorgeous amalgamation of alpine grey woods, plush linens, chrome towel heaters, luxurious fittings subtle indirect light fixtures. It is also very large by European standards, with a separate sitting/dining room and a huge king bedroom, a separate WC, and a giant walk in closet. Every feature in this room is totally different from the rest of the hotel (down to the towels, which have their own logo). Whether this was a full-scale mock up of what the hotel could be post massive renovation, or a one-off vanity project I cannot say. I also can’t recall the room number but the staff will know exactly what you’re talking about if this is the room you want. Whether they can/will specify it for you is another matter. However, what I can say is that it is possible to have two completely different experiences at this property. If you showed up expecting one and got the other, you’d either be in for extraordinary surprise (this room is no more costly than other suites) or bitter disappointment. So, please be thoughtful in your booking and make certain you are getting what you intend to get. One thing the unifies the experiences however is that the very friendly staff, great value and excellent location all make this a hotel I would gladly recommend regardless of the room one gets. I will happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Read my review carefully
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank expeditiondaddy
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our family of 3 from the USA enjoyed our charming stay at the Hotel Richemond. While this hotel is not like the typical hotel in our country, the old world charm is what we love about it most. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The staff was friendly and very helpful. After we arrived at our next destination we discovered we had left our credit card at another merchant in Chamonix. We contacted the hotel and they were incredibly helpful for getting a phone number for us to make contact. One morning, we left early to get to the lift for the Aguille de Midi to beat the crowds. We left before the breakfast hour, but we happened to be in the lobby as the baker was delivering the fresh croissants and we were given those to eat on our way. The location is perfect for shopping and the lifts, but there was some extra noise at night from the Pub across the street. We didn't hear them with the windows closed, though. The use of wifi was 3 euro and could only be used downstairs in the lobby. We liked the fact that the bath and toilet rooms were separate and that section of the room could be closed to the rest of our room. There was plenty of storage space for clothes in a chest of drawers and the closet with deep shelves of different sizes to keep everyone's things separate. We had to catch an early train to leave and there was a station stop a very short distance from the hotel. The breakfast was a spread of fresh breads, meats, cereal, yogurt, eggs, and juices.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family