Hotel Le Faucigny
US$155
US$144
Chalet Hotel Le Prieure(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$79
  • Restaurant
Residence & Spa Vallorcine Mont Blanc(Vallorcine)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$109
Mercure Chamonix Les Bossons(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$86
Le Morgane(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$111
Official Website
  • Pool
Le Refuge des Aiglons(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$95
Hotel l'Heliopic(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$106
  • Pool
Hotel de l'Arve(Chamonix)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$82
Orbitz.com
US$101
US$89
US$325
US$318
Hotels.com
All reviewsafternoon teamacaroonsrooms are smallboutique hotelno elevatorjacuzzi and saunaperfect locationtop floorlovely hotelmont blancstandard roomcroissantscentre of townlounge areawould highly recommend this hotelboot roomrestaurants and bars
Reviewed 27 March 2007

This is a very good two star hotel but that's all it is. Don't be fooled by the other reviews into believing that this hotel is better than a two star, it just ain't! This hotel has all the amenities (or lack of amenities) of a typical two star hotel, with the added bonus that it is in a great location and has a very friendly and helpful front desk (the owners). If you are looking for any kind of luxury, such as a bath after a long ski day (rooms only have showers), or full English Breakfast (or even eggs for that matter), look elsewhere, but if you are on a budget and a two star is all you can afford, then you will be hard pressed to find a better hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank atthestoplight
Reviewed 15 February 2007

I stayed for 5 nights in the middle of January and really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is a great location of the top of the pedestrian village opposite the TI and steps away from an excellent ski school. The hotel is clean and very well run. With many years in hotel management, I can say that with authority.
I would normally have chosen a four-star hotel but with the dollar to euro ratio and the excellent reviews previous travelers have written I decided to give the Hotel Faucigny a try. I am very happy I did. I would definitely return to the hotel if I found myself back in the area, and noticed that several people staying at the same time as I did were return guests of the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank Traveler0007
Reviewed 2 January 2007

The snow in Chamonix was very poor over Christmas 2006 but I had a great time. The village is only 1 hour from Geneva and so is very easy to get to. I booked my transfer through ATS via the Easyjet website. They subcontracted the work to a company called ACT. I have since checked ACT's own website and they seem cheaper. So have a look there first.

The hotel is right in the centre of town and has lovely rooms, which are very very clean. There are no roads running right past the hotel or streets so the hotel is very quiet at night. Having said that the hotel is right in the centre of town and you only have to walk 200m to be in the centre of Cham. I would definitely stay at this hotel again as it is clean, in a great location and is run by two extremely friendly and helpful people. I can't believe it is only 2 stars. It must be that they don't tick enough boxes to get 3 stars. But I can't imagine what they must be as I have stayed in hotels not half as good!

The hotel is also right next to the ESF ski school meeting place and the buses they put on to take you to the slopes in the morning. The buses are frequent, but they are a pain as you often don’t get a seat and you are on them for 20-25 mins. I did 6 days of lessons and had a good group and instructor (Celine). The classes were large on some days and a little bit more feedback would of helped. But her English was far better than my French so I shouldn't complain. The lift ticket office is a 10 min walk on the other side of town. Or you can get the pass at the base of each mountain; this is probably the best thing to do.

There are plenty of restaurants in Chamonix and a McDonalds if you just want a quick snack. McDonalds has a WIFI connection and is always busy with people on their laptops. There are plenty of supermarkets in town with a good selection of food.

The town is busy and there were always a lot of people milling around. The bars are varied and can be expensive at 5 euros for a 275 ml bottle of beer. But some are really nice and I liked going to Le Privilege.

The pistes were very icy and rocky over Christmas and my new skis look like they have bee in a war. The scenary is breathtaking and the skiing can be very challenging and steep. Having said that I think there is enough for all. If you want to get your legs in go to La Tour for a few days to get used to skiing and the conditions again.

All in all I want to go back, probably in March for a week. I want to see the mountains and piste with proper snow on them.

Have a look at their website. If anything the rooms and the hotel are better!

Stayed: December 2006
11  Thank Ski2xs
Reviewed 30 September 2006

We just returned from a two-week Eurorail trip that, for a couple of thirty-somethings (lower end), was an attempt to turn the clock back a decade or so and take the sort of high-octane Europe-tour vacation one might take as a 22-year-old, but at the slightly slower pace and slightly higher budget creaky knees and a couple graduate degrees (albeit with the accompanying debt baggage) can respectively support.

So my wife and I just did London for a few days to start and then a tight loop through France rather than, say, all of Western Europe in a couple weeks. We didn't stay in any hostels, but neither did we stay at the Ritz. We had baguettes and fruit for a lunch or two, but we also found some decent restaurants along the way. We were on a moderate budget but we'd stretch it now and then when the opportunity was right for a potentially good memory.

The Hotel Faucigny fit into our plans perfectly. At the advertised off-peak price, it was a great value, in our opinion, and the service and treatment from Guy and Jacqueline (the owners) was sincerely unmatched during our trip -- especially from the perspective of a couple of Americans who, quite sheephisly, don't speak French (but we're learning) and had otherwise been curtly reminded of such during certain other moments of our travels. Guy and Jacqueline greeted us warmly nearly every time we walked through their front door and were always available for advice.

While I imagine all the rooms have great views, I can't imagine there were any better than ours, which was one of the full balcony rooms, mentioned and photographed in another review recently submitted. When the weather cleared out during our three-night stay, we had our wine and our cheese and simply gazed up at Mont Blanc near dusk for an hour or two. In good company, with a day's worth of hiking upon which to reflect, a wine bottle on the table and this hotel's Mont Blanc view before you, no other entertainment is necessary. (I tried attaching our own shots from the balcony, but the Mbs are apparently too high.)

I never write these without throwing in a few criticisms, as every place requires them. Undoubtedly, the walls are perhaps a little thin (we could easily hear the rumblings of others next door from time to time). The room furnishings were a little plain -- and I think any American dropped into it directly from the States would say they were small, as well ... but on this latter point, of course, this is typical of many European hotels and the Hotel Faucigny's rooms were larger than others at which we stayed. Neither of these observations was enough to beat the overall value and great quality of our stay, however.

At the risk of too much sap (but hey, we're freshly back from our trip -- I'm giving myself a pass here) let me say that my wife and I loved our stay at the Hotel Faucigny. We would recommend it to anyone and will cherish the memories we took from it!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sha987
Reviewed 2 February 2006

We stayed here for 4 nights in January 2006 and really couldn't fault the place. We’ve stayed in other (more expensive) hotels in Chamonix and the Faucigny has to be one of the best we’ve experienced in the town.

Our room on the top floor was recently decorated; the bed comfortable and the bathroom modern. Everything was spotlessly clean.

The owners really went out of our way to make us feel welcome, whether it was advice on which ski-runs were open that day or getting us breakfast early on our last morning; nothing seemed to be too much trouble.

In a previous review someone had said they were unimpressed with the breakfast, yes it’s simple, but we found the wonderful fresh bread with cheese, honey or jam, a refreshing change from the normal hotel buffet offering.

If you’re looking for somewhere informal and unpretentious you really won’t do any better for the money, the only problem you’re likely to have is finding availability!

• Stayed: January 2006