“Perfect retreat after a hard day on the slopes!”
Review of Hotel l'Heliopic

Hotel l'Heliopic
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Perfect retreat after a hard day on the slopes!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed here for a long weekend of skiing with my Dad last week. It is a fantastic location, just a few minutes walk to the main bus station which takes you to all the ski areas. You can also easily walk to the train station and the lovely town centre. L'Aguille de Midi lift is next door....this trip is a must. However definitely not for the faint hearted, I witnessed many grown men shaking!!

The staff are fantastic at the hotel, incredibly helpful and friendly. There is brilliant ski hire shop near reception which we thought was very reasonable and made a very easy job of kitting yourself out.

I didn't take my children but there was a great kids area with playroom, tv, fridge stocked with juice etc which I'm sure would be a good hang out for little ones. In response to a negative comment I saw before travelling here, we didn't notice any children at the hotel at all so I can only put that down to traveling in school holidays.

Breakfast was great, there wasn't anything missing that you would usually expect. Of course the highlight of the hotel has to be the spa... It was the perfect place to go after a day skiing.

We had a fantastic trip to Chamonix, the only thing I would say is that we have only been skiing a few times before and found skiing here quite challenging ... It's probably not the best place for beginners. However the hotel, town, sights and people make it worth the visit anyway!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My friend and I recently travelled to Chamonix for our first skiing holiday and I can definitely say this hotel made what would have been a good holiday fantastic!

We had no idea that skiing was going to be so painful - not so much from the falling, but more so from the equipment - the ski boots in particular! Thank heavens this hotel had a wonderful spa facility included (and at no extra charge).

Spa: Very clean, very well presented, excellent facilities - Jacuzzi, Steam room, Sauna, Ice room, relaxing/tranquil area where you can sit in hanging basket chairs in front of a fire - sipping on free of charge herbal/fruit tea after a hard day's skiing. The whole spa area was really clean and all the ladies on duty (in particular Diane) were amazing. They were just so helpful, attentive and informative.

Room: Not huge - but does it need to be? We had plenty of space for 2 adults with 2 large suitcases and 2 rucksacks in our twin room which also had space for a single sofa/armchair and lots of storage space. Very clean. Bathroom was of the same high standard as the room - lovely shower which allows you to adjust the water pressure on the shower head. It's very difficult to find any faults. In-room tea/coffee provided free of charge.

Lobby: Really nice and spacious. Reception staff were extremely polite, helpful, friendly and attentive.

Restaurant: We only used it for breakfast and can therefore not comment on lunch or dinner. Breakfast was wonderful. Plenty of choice - even for vegetarians. Shame there was no baked beans or fried eggs available though. Otherwise, breakfast was 9 out of 10. Service was excellent by all the staff - particular mention to Karan who's service was exceptional.

Location: The hotel location was perfect in my opinion. Just far enough away from one of the most popular night clubs (Amnesia) without being disturbed (approx 6-7min walk away). Only about 10min walk away from the main high street which has all the resaurants and shops etc. If you fancy hitting the bars, pubs and clubs, then these are pretty much all on one street which is slightly further from the hotel - approx 15/20min walk, so still not really that far. There is one bus stop immediately outside the front of the hotel where the No. 12 stops on it's way back from the Le Tour Ski Slopes. The other bus stop is Chamonix Sud (where you catch the No. 1 or 12 bus to Le Tour) and is approx 5 min walk in normal shoes, although when you have your ski boots on it can take approx 15min. There is a convenient Spar supermarket only 5 min walk away - as are a couple of well stocked souvenir shops.

Value for money: Definitely! This hotel is advertised as a 4 star and I would agree that the prices reflect this. However I would be keen to understand why this hotel isn't actually a 5 star hotel? I've been privileged enough to stay in a number of 5 star hotels around the world, and whilst it's fair to say it's not at the top end of 5 star luxury, I genuinely feel that the hotel may be selling itself a little short by stating it's a 4 star - that's how good this place is.

Without a doubt, I would definitely stay here again. It's very very difficult to find any faults - this is probably helped by the fact that this hotel is still so new (opened Dec 2013).

Room Tip: We had a superior room (214) that gives you a brilliant view of the mountain from the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights on a rare break from the children. The hotel is brand new and beautifully designed, right next to the l'Aiguille du Midi cable car. Rooms as they are on the photos, no surprises (actually the amazing view of Mt Blanc from our 3rd floor balcony was a pleasant surprise!). Spa facilities lovely. We didn't choose the breakfast option, but had coffee at the hotel bar instead and asked the barman if he could bring us some small croissants, which he did happily. Some great quirky touches such as armchairs with headphones and a choice of music in the foyer, a large screen showing snowboarding videos and a great chill out area for children (24 hr Pingu, free sweets and juice!). I noticed the hotel charges 10 Euros/day parking, but if you don't mind walking 50metres there is a free car park where you can park for 24 hours. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We travelled as 2 families of 4 and 5 respectively, and this hotel really worked for us. Location is next to the Aiguille du Midi station, in the south of the town, and within easy walking distance of the town center and all restaurants. The rooms were spacious and the bathrooms well-equipped. There was a lovely spa with hot tub, sauna, steam-room, ice bath, and a small pool. Breakfast was in a bright, airy room -- a buffet with lots of choices and well-stocked thermoses of coffee, hot milk, and hot chocolate. We found the people at the front desk to be friendly and helpful arranging dinner reservations and transportation. There were two things that could have made the stay slightly better: 1) wifi was slow and inconsistent; and 2) lighting in the rooms was poor. Otherwise, a wonderful stay! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We chose a "family room" for our three young adult children. This featured bunk beds and t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SallyK1207
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This brand spanking new hotel in Chamonix is located at the base of the Aguille du Midi Cable Car. The reception is a huge area and nicely presented, the staff greeted us warmly. The rooms are hotel sized and modern, the bathroom very tiny but spotlessly clean and modern, the towels large and soft. I'd have preferred they just have a shower rather than having to climb over a high bathtub edge. We also got lovely robes and slippers - presumably to use in the wellness centre which we didn't end up using. Our room also had a balcony. Our Labrador was made welcome with a bed and water and food containers - a first on this trip! We also weren't charged for her, another first! I'd have given 5 stars but for a few niggles, that could easily be ironed out.
1. The guest room doors need soft-closers on them - hearing doors slamming through various floors wasn't relaxing
2. Neither was the strange exhaust fan in the room that came on at various times. It had an annoying whine and I needed earplugs to sleep - but I do have sensitive hearing - if you're deaf it might not bother you.
3. The sound of skateboarders using the open plaza opposite were annoying, but I guess that's not the hotel's fault, but it was distracting hearing the constant chunk chunk as they did their tricks. Ask for a room that doesn't front the teleriphique.
4. The hotel represented very good value for Chamonix, BUT there is a very strict cancelation policy that nearly caught me out, fortunately it was fixed by the manager when I arrived. Being asked to take out cancellation insurance at the time of booking wasn't something I've come across before. I also didn't receive any emails from the hotel regarding my booking - however they did send them so I don't know where they went. I also didn't receive a booking confirmation, so there has to be a glitch somewhere, otherwise you may think they're ignoring you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear ie not overlooking the cable car plaza!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We travelled as a group of 4 adults - a Mums trip, and stayed at the L'Heliopic for 4 nights in March 2014.
We booked the hotel before completion (in October 2013) with fingers crossed that the artist impressions would be true and then kept an eye on the Trip Advisor reviews leading up to our trip.
The reviews have all been pretty much positive so we were pleased with our choice.
We arrived at the Hotel from Geneva (about an hour transfer arranged by the hotel).
I agree with all the previous comments regards to the hotel. It is stylish, modern yet the public areas remain comfortable and welcoming.
I must mention the staff - everyone we spoke with were polite, professional & friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
The ski hire shop is so convenient and the boots I hired were the most comfortable I have ever had.
Location is superb - a bus stop just outside for access to all ski areas and the town is a short 5-10 minutes stroll.
Surprisingly, we only used the spa once. It is very nice, although quite small and I was surprised with the communal changing area!
Now... here is the But bit! The rooms ..
On check in, we were advised that one of our rooms had been upgraded .. (302) so a nice surprise.
We got to the rooms - 301/302 are adjoining and are on the top floor in the eaves of the hotel (the rooms are long and thin) so therefore the whole length of both rooms are slanted to such a degree that it is only possible to stand upright in a very small area of the room. No chance of a stand up shower (unless you are under the age of 6) and there is a cushioned protection on the lowest beam in the bathroom that you have to duck under to get to the sink!
Using the wardrobes was also problematic - bending over to hang up clothes isn't much fun!
We called reception but they were unable to accommodate with 2 other adjoining rooms so we decided to grin, hunch and bear it!
Also, there is nowhere in the room to sit in front of a mirror to dry your hair / apply makeup, and it is difficult to open/close the door to the balcony without the curtain / curtain pole getting jammed.
I discussed the rooms with one of the receptionist the next day (after banging my head again) and she advised that they were aware of the issues with these rooms ... Really!! and that they are going to amend the website / marketing literature to advisor future visitors. Hmm - bit late for us then!
Again on check out - we raised the issue with the rooms and requested to speak with the manager. Unfortunately the manager was unavailable to speak with us but agreed a 50 euro discount to compensate .. 4 % of our overall accommodation cost... !
So all in all - we had a fabulous trip to Chamonix - the town is amazing, so much fun just not sure I would revisit the L'heliopic.

Room Tip: Avoid room 301 & 302
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nikkijx
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed for three nights. Enjoyed two spa services, a massage and a scrub. Loved it. Front desk staff were always helpful. Ski shop provided new rentals and ski storage. Bought ski passes and transportation to Geneva through the hotel. Walked to restaurants nearby for each meal. Enjoyed the Pub for beer, Jekyll and Hyde for British food, local food at Cafe La Potinie (great mussels).Skiing at Grands Montets was amazing. Views from hotel room of Mt. Blanc.
Be sure to get up the du Midi lift and Step into the Void- glass room with views 1000 meters beneath your feet.

Room Tip: Who needs a fitness center when you are surrounded by one. Get outside. Ask for Mt. Blanc view. No r...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple