“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
travelingcats14
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel in July for two nights as part of a group travel. You wouldn't notice the entrance if you weren't looking for it as it is quite unassuming on the busy streets of Chamonix. The front desk staff were very accomodating and check in was a snap. There is a very small and slow elevator or you can take the winding somewhat dizzying stairs. We were ok with this but some may not be. Our room faced the back and we had a small balcony overlooking the river. Great view. If I were to go again I would suggest a room on the back (3rd floor or above) and ask for a balcony. The street facing rooms could be noisy. All rooms are large and well appointed. The lobby area is large and seemed like a good place to read a newspaper or book. There is also an outdoor cafe area which was great on a July afternoon. If you go to Chamonix take some of the hikes or tours sponsered by the Chamonix guides. They are a superb group that know all about the hikes and mountains surrounding the area. Great place to vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor or above on the back facing the river.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cheshire
Reviewed 10 September 2011

What a charming, friendly and elegant hotel this is. The reception area and the lounge with the wood panelling , fireplace and stunning views makes it hard to tear yourself away from the comforts on offer here. Our room (no 405) exuded warmth and elegance. The bed was very comfortable and I had a wonderful night’s sleep there. Bathrobes were provided and cosy slippers too. The view from the room was stunning – you could see the top station of the Aiguille du Midi and watch the Para gliders from the balcony! The dining room was enhanced by elegant paintings by a French artist. Add to that a wonderful breakfast with a huge choice of dishes, well - we spent two nights here – I wish it had been longer! It’s definitely on my ‘must go back there’ list!

Room Tip: Any one would be magical
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We booked this hotel for a two night stay in August. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient. The hotel is lovely and has a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
We booked was the Brevent room. Both the room and en suite were very clean and comfortable. The room over looked the high street. The only problem with this is that we had to sleep with the window open because there didn't seem to be any air conditioning and there was a bit of noise. On the first night I was woken up at 4.30am by shouting, my husband said that his sleep was frequently disturbed with noise from the street every hour or so.

The breakfast was pretty good, selection of fresh fruit, yogurts, cheese, meats, bread and pastries. You can also select from a variety of cooked dishes. The breakfast room is quite nice and there was a lovely terrace outside by the river that is also open at breakfast time.

We looked at the swimming pool and jacuzzi area but didn't use either. They are in the basement next to the breakfast room. The area looked very clean but the pool is quite small. There were also couple of loungers by the pool side.

The hotel provides free wifi and will give you a login for multiple devices, so my husband and I were both able to check emails etc at the same time, him on a lap top and me on my phone. In other hotels we've stayed only device was able to access the wifi at any time.

I would stay at this hotel again but I would specifically request a room on the side of the hotel facing the river in the summer months.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngeS
Dubai
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We spent a wonderful weekend in Chamonix, and Grand Hotel des Alpes completed our stay. Small, but beautifully decorated rooms, clean, lovely bathroom with lush towels. Friendly and helpful staf, fantastic breakfast in their lovely courtyard. Located in the middle of town. Parking garage available. Perfect, will pick it again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed 2 night in Grand Hotel des Alpes, Chamonix is lovely town my trip is 10 night for honeymoon and this the best 2 night in my trip. The staff of hotel are very kindly and friendly you feel you are between your family. I booked Mont Blanc room, when I arrive to hotel they welcome us as VIP welcome . and they surprise me. They upgrade our room to Mont Blanc Suite. It is really splendid and fantastic. I recommended this hotel and this town for all of you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Rome
Reviewed 25 July 2011

After the second of two short stays in the Grand Hotel des Alpes (the first one unreviewed - shame on me!), I have got only one simple word to describe the hotel: beautiful. The overall structure is in excellent conditions and perfectly located in the heart of the small town of Chamonix. Staff was very helpful and ready to attend to all my requests and my lovely room (409) had such fantastic views of the French Alps that the sight itserlf made my long trip from London worth it. The Grand Hotel des Alpes is certainly not very cheap and I am quite sure that there are several other budget structures in the area, but if you can afford to spend the extra money I am sure you will be not disappointed. One word of caution to the fellow travellers driving to the Grand Hotel des Alpes: finding the garage can be tricky and. although the staff will send you in advance a map with directions, it is a wise idea to check the exact location before you set out for Chamonix. Failing to do that might result in some very frustrating driving through the samme streets of the city (trust me, I know!).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We had a room with creek and mountain view, and listened to the creek all night. Hotel is right in town, close to everything. Parking is underground and hard to find.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends