“Very nice second short stay”

Club Med Chamonix Mont-Blanc
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Chamonix
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I spent a long week-end at Club Med Chamonix. The weather was so-so but still allowed the use of the outdoor pool (great water-aerobics classes are offered twice a day) and hiking tours (which are well organized by Club Med). The rooms are nice and clean but a bit dark though. Excellent variety of food offered during the stay. Entertainment during the day is discreet but gets more lively in the evening. An awesome GO team led by the Chef de village Samuel is always ready for some good time and fun. Gym classes are also offered during the day and if you need some real R&R, don't hesitate to try the excellent spa. Given the location of the Club you can also easily go for some shopping "downtown". I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank ChrisS74
There are newer reviews for Club Med Chamonix Mont-Blanc

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Its strange I hadn't been to club med for maybe 15 years and suddenly I'm there twice a year... well it was a last minute ski trip and just seemed the easiest to organize. The hotel is nice, but not great, a little dated and the rooms are small, not much room to maneuver in regular room for 2 people. The bathroom was sub par, with a very mediocre shower and a toilet that made a big noise every time one sat on it (and no, we're not that over weight). The food, like food in club med, is very varied and plentiful but quality is mediocre. What really got me annoyed is the SPA. I had a massage there with a very peculiar masseuse. The massage was not good, to say the least. I later found out that I was not the only one who shared this experience. A lovely Belgium woman who skied with me had the same experience and complained and got a free massage. I followed suit, but did not get a free massage to compensate for the bad one. Either you treat all guests as equal or not, but this is a poor show. On the positive side the hotel is quite well located, not far from one of the bubbles that takes you up to one of 3 skiing areas in Chamonix. That said, it is the least attractive of the 3, and for someone like me, who is used to skiing in and out to a much larger resort, I found it a bit annoying to have to take buses to the other 2 ski areas. But it is also a 5 minute walk from the delightful main street of Chamonix, which is a great place to stroll, and do some shopping. As a resort Chamonix is also great for non skiers. After tearing my ligament on the 3rd day :-( I went up the bubble to the Aigullee Du Midi, spectacular views of the Mont Blanc and a lovely way to spend a few hours, but very cold up there, if you go dress well. On another day we took an old steam train up the mountain to the glacier and walked down to see the Ice cave on the Mer De Glace, spectacular!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Danifinn
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Hotel staff very helpful and on reception there was always someone who spoke good English.
Ski lessons with ESF Katrina were enjoyable and again she was a great linguist. Snow was good high up but the lower resorts were struggling. Went down Valle Blanc with my son expertly guided by Roeland who was working for mountainadventureguides.co.uk.

Outdoor swimming pool deserves a special mention, clean, warm and mountain views to take your breath away. As always at club Med the food was first class. What came as a pleasant surprise were that the rooms were a good size with beautiful mountain views and the carpets and decor although traditional it was all fairly new and very clean.

Finally Chamonix is a charming town with lots of top notch shops - the trip up to the Aiguille du midi by cable car was a real highlight.

Room Tip: 411 and 415 were good
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BBCHD
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed at Club Med Chamonix in the last week of March. I think is the best location for ski in the village. The ski run Brevent is in front of the hotel. The food was very good.
The quality of rooms are small, however we didn't spend so much time there.
It is a pitty that they don't Club have Petit Club for kids between 6 to 11 years old. However the French School of Ski is just in front and the lessons for kids are so good.
I think Club med must reconsidered to place activities for younger kids. I think is a great location for ski beginners.

This Club med is very good because is inside the city, so you have the opportunity to enjoy the city.

The view from our room was amazing. Very good staff, GO Multilingual.
Awesome shows, my kids enjoyed a lot.
Thanks to Juan from Republica Dominicana and the sommelier ( they gave me very good tips). Thanks to Daniel ( Chef of the Ville)

Room Tip: Is a great location for skiing
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sergio a
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This is the third Club Med I've visited with a large group of friends. I'll begin with positives: great selection of food, very accommodating staff in restaurant, decent mountain-side restaurant included, nice restaurant where you 'cook your own', lockers for ski equipment, whilst decor is a little odd it adds character, couldn't hear noise from other rooms. Not so good: rooms stink of smoke, not enough seating in bar areas or outside for everyone, waiters dropped food/cutlery/high-chair table on us at mealtimes without apology, steam room smells of cheesy feet, bar staff get stroppy when having to make cocktails - we were even denied these close to last orders, only ski out if you use a button lift and take skis off and walk 50m across a car park, outdoor pool not particularly warm. In all we preferred the Club Med in Deux Alpes as it is more modern, the bar area is more comfy and leant itself better for socialising as a group away from the cringey entertainment, you could ski in/out ok- plus cheaper as it's 3 trident. Think the only reason Chamonix earns it's 4th trident is probably the spa- but if you're there for the skiing there is little time for this anyway.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank BearSusieBear
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at club med chamonix at the end of February. We uses to go to club med , but it was the first ski village for us . But it was one of the best holiday.
First of all, chief of village , Daniel is really amazing person.
He is always smiling, always take care about his guests.
And his GO team is nice and helpful. Special thanks to Daniela and Ryoko ( at reception), Nadine and Elaine (annimation), willy and sophian( bar). We had a unforgettable time with them. They made our holiday special.
And I'll never forget the kindness of Antoine( ski service) to my 6 years old son.
We will definitely go to the new club med val thorens next winter, to see Daniel and his team!

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank alika17
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We recently stayed at Club Med Chamonix and I have to say, it was average.

The staff, for the most part, were amazing. I didnt really get to know them by name, but the receptionists were pleasant, most of the restaurant staff were nice. One lady in particular was very welcoming and friendly, and the Chef de village, Daniel, was great - very friendly and welcoming! Unfortunately there were a couple of bad eggs. We had the wrong size bindings placed on our rented snowboards, I stated that we should test our boots in them, and I was told "They'd be fine". It wasn't fine, the next day we missed our snowboard lesson as we got up the mountain, our bindings both didnt fit, we had to go all the way back down and get the bindings changed. It was unfortunate, but I wasn't annoyed by this. What I was annoyed by was the guy at the rental shop who didn't apologise, and stated that we should have just changed the bindings around, like we can just do it ourselves. We shouldn't have had to change the bindings ourselves, and an apology would have been nice. Very rude in my opinion. Apart from that the staff were mostly nice and they wave goodbyes from outside when you are on the bus away which was nice.

Unfortunately the staff is the only really good point of the hotel. I wasnt particularly impressed by the room, or hotel, it was quite antiquated and there was mold in the shower crevices. The hallways, for me, smelt a bit smoky, and our shower did not drain properly.

I was not impressed by the food. For the most part, it was bland and not very tasty. The specialty dishes as well were not particularly satisfying. There is definitely quantity over quality. There was a decent amount of salad and fruits, and the desserts were ok. While edible, the food was definitely a low point. Also the restaurant staff don't clean the tables, or replace the cutlery frequently enough. Often we were left at a table with no cutlery as it wasn't replaced, or trying to find a table as there were many that had not been cleaned off yet.

Also the pillows were very uncomfortable.

The location is the only other good point - Nice and close to the mountain (if you dont mind a T-bar, otherwise its a bit of a hike) and close to the main part of town.

All in all, it was OK, if youve already booked - you wont be particularly disappointed, however, I would be hard pressed to recommend it to my friends or family.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple