“Not that great value for money”

Restaurant Albert 1er
Ranked #25 of 227 Restaurants in Chamonix
Price range: US$46 - US$185
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Pierre Maillet’s goal, as head chef of our two star restaurant, is to conserve the taste of the produce, respect texture, gently combine things and not spoil them by trying to over-enhance them. Having taken over from his father-in-law, Pierre Carrier, he has upheld the restaurant’s traditions by proposing a subtle, modern and natural cuisine, inspired by the surrounding area. A cuisine spanning 5 generations that is influenced by the treasures of the French/Italian Alps : Char and Fera from Lake Léman, snails from the Mont Blanc region, sweetbreads, Dombes duckling, Bresse poulard and local cheese, pork and lamb….Dishes subtly enhanced by the herb garden, overseen by Pierre Carrier: wood sorrel, tarragon, lemon thyme, savory, lemon balm, sage, wild thyme, marjoram or burnet. The Albert 1er’s carte is also influenced by the neighbouring Piedmont region: lemon risotto and « Bottarga di Tonno », crab ravioli on a mousse of curcuma, garden peas and mint bisque, farm goat’s cheese and beetroot gnocchi. From his travels around the world, his childhood in the Toulouse region and training in successful restaurants along the Mediterranean coast, Pierre Maillet has created a selection of flavours and spices with which to season his dishes : line-caught John Dory fillet, citron, tonka beans, turnip confit and hollande sauce, line-caught sea bream with basil in a squid and herb crust, consommé, garlic rouille and croutons; whole roasted Breton lobster served in two ways, with yuzu confit, avocado, grapefruit and Nepalese Timur pepper, or Lobster à la Cardinal with fondant potatoes in coral butter. Perle de la Dombes Peking duckling seasoned with orange and gingerbread, stewed leg and almonds, coriander and homemade lemon confit. Surprisingly wonderful combinations created with seasonal produce and his passion for cooking, creating, inventing and seducing. Hard, relentless work ensures that the simplicity of the food provides an explosion of flavours and enjoyment. Alain Gousse, our head sommelier, will be delighted to advise from the exceptional house cellar – 19,000 bottles with over 1,000 varieties, 646 of which are on the wine list.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stylish decor and from the first moment you enter, you have the feeling you have entered a posh establishment. Unfortunately, my first impression with the complimentary canapes was not very good. The first we called "nothing with a bit thicker nothing". Oyster okay, pastry fine. Then there's some kind of whipped something with salmon infusion and red caviar. Living in Russia I have eaten through my share of black caviar, so a few bits of red caviar won't impress me. Also, what's great about caviar is that it's lacking the typical fishy flavour and the main taste that registers with you is savoury with a hint of salt. So why spoil it with the taste of fish?

I had a menu which included a starter, two small mains and a selection from cheese and dessert trolley, so I avoided the insanely priced 50 and 60 euros starters. Moving on to my starter, red and green asparagus with two Parmesan shavings and a bit of crunchy ham and some gnocchi, I wasn't impressed. It lacked the taste that makes you want to eat and keep eating. (I fondly remembered the goat cheese tagliatelle from Le Panier de 4 Saisons that did just that for me for 13 euros the previous evening.) The fish was nice, but once again, quite a plain flavour, I think it was cod or something similiar, nothing fancy. Finally moving on to my veal, now that was a lovely medium soft and delicious piece of meat. Served with small carrots, leek and spinach, I missed some nice sauce that would have enhanced the taste. Then came the cheeses, which I passed and gave them to my husband as I was already full by that time. I managed to try the dessert, floating island, that was delicious, as well as the small bites that came by the end. My husband and father-in-law had lamb's leg with white beans that they really enjoyed, saying it was delicious.

Overall, if you want to have a good deal, go for some pre-set menus. I don't think the starters for 50-60 euros are worth the price you pay for them. Overall it was too long and we were tired and ready to go, but then there was the small dessert, etc. Also, I felt the service around our table to be a bit chaotic, I understand there was a sommelier to suggest and serve us our wine, but apart from that four different staff members rotated around our table. The bill couldn't have arrived faster.

So I wouldn't say this was the best meal I've ever had and I find it a bit overpriced for, maybe not the quality of food, but its taste, which I just didn't find succulent enough. If you don't mind your dinner lasting three to four hours, by all means go, but I would rather recommend Le Bistrot when looking for a fine dining in Chamonix.

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Haing looked for a fancy restaurant for a romantic meal, we ended up here. My wife is French so the cuisine was what we were looking for. It has a nice atmosphere when you arrive, but for me it stops there. You are paying for authentic French service, which at times can be slow and arrogant, the menu was small and and for me un interesting... Mainly based around rabbit. Some people may enjoy it, but I feel it's over priced and dull. After a while the venue became stuffy and noisy, I couldn't wait to get out. Try for yourself, a lot of people like it, maybe I went went on the wrong evening.

1  Thank Dirty D
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This restaurant is one of my favorite. I probably had a douzaine diners there, and stayed one night as well. I have tried the the menus and the a la carte. I love the poularde truffee (order 24h in advance), stuffed with rice and girolles, the veal chop is magnificent, the steam egg with morel is really infused with morel flavour, the choice for cheeses and desserts is beautiful. The staff is relaxed and warm, especially for a restaurant with ** Michelin.
What would it take for me to rate this place a 5? I had a couple of meals with dishes which were a bit too salty. And this is classic cooking. I would give a 5 to a place where you would be amazed by more creativity.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I am sorry but I do not think it is worth 2 Michelin stars.
I found it ordinary and I have been to other Michelin restaurants to compare.
I am happy to pay for quality but in this case you do not get what you pay for.
You get a lot of bells and whistles in the form of cheese trollies and desert trollies but the main food is average.
For 50+ € for a starter you should not be able to remember your name after having it.
I had the beef for main and some pieces could not be chewed.
Service was good and the maitre is helpful and friendly.
Restaurant ambiance is average with cheap curtains and stains on the floor.
The wine list was very extensive and the sommelier very professional.
Overall I would not recommend.

2  Thank Ilikrip
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Wonderful dishes, each like a painting or piece of art on your plate. Grilled oyster in foie gras broth with white alba truffle for instance. Or seafood mousse under a slide of celery jelly with caviar on top. Or pumpkin soup served in a small pimpkin with a quail egg. The cheese chariot has spectacular goat cheeses. The friandises that compliment the teat or coffee at the end round it all off.