“Great Last Minute Find, but wouldn't stay for a week”
Review of Les Ancolies Hotel

Les Ancolies Hotel
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Courchevel
Reviewed 26 March 2009

My husband and I live in Switzerland and on a Friday morning we decided that we wanted to ski in Courchevel the next day and hoped we wouldn't have to do a day-trip if we were able to find an available hotel. We knew this would be tough as most of these ski hotels are bookable for a minimum of seven nights. We checked around and found two options. One at Latitudes for 300€ and here for 150€ B&B. Since it was just one night, we decided to go with this one.

The reservations staff was very friendly and responded to my email request immediately with the price. i called with my credit card to book the room and received an email confirmation. I was just thrilled to get a decent deal for a single night stay, a Saturday night no less and in mid-March... not necessarily half term or anything, but still a good time to ski.

We arrived Sat morning but went straight to the slopes so we didn't get to the hotel until about 6:30pm. The parking lot was pretty small and full, but we still found a place. We were promptly checked in and shown to our room.

It was pretty much what we expected for a 3-star hotel. Fairly basic, but the bathroom was fairly spacious and updated, and most important, clean. The toilet area is separate from the shower and sink in its own separate room. The bedding was fine, but it is two beds pushed together, not a double bed.

The breakfast was fine, meats, cheeses, breads, the fruit salad didn't look to appetizing but my husband said it was actually good. We had dined out the night before for dinner at Le Caveau and it was excellent but you may want to call ahead for a table.

Proximity to the slopes is great. We actually didn't go straight from the hotel, but I think you can. The first day we skied at 1850 and took the gondola which is about a 4 minute walk from the hotel. The next day we drove 5 minutes over to 1650 as I don't think you can get there by skiing. We really liked that area too, lots of easy slopes but further up there were difficult ones too.

The only problem we had is that there was only one towel in the bathroom. The hotel guide stated that each room had dressing gowns and slippers -- ours did not. I thought this may be because we were only staying the one night so I wasn't going to complain, but obviously we needed more towels. I decided to go over to the spa room so I used one of the towels. Unfortunately while I was in the sauna, someone (I assume mistakenly) took my towel. Luckily our room was right next to the spa room and I called reception to bring more towels. After waiting about half an hour -- I wanted to take a shower as I was in my swimsuit still -- I got in the shower and had my husband call down again. They then brought up a stack of towels, very basis, rather thin towels.

One other problem was the TV -- it was an old TV mounted from the ceiling/wall and our remote did not work at all -- I feel like this happens in every hotel I'm in. Again, since we were there only one night, it wasn't worth complaining or asking for new batteries. I turned on the TV on the actual set and was able to change channels, but the volume was intolerably loud and there is no volume switch on the TV so we were unable to watch anything.

Overall the hotel was exactly what we were looking for, a place to sleep and very close to the slopes. My husband and I had trouble finding nightlife here, but maybe we just weren't in the loop. If you're looking for a budget hotel and can handle that for a week, than this place is great. If you're a bit pickier or prefer something more luxurious, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for longer than one night.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank laurengucsb
IsabelleBretagne, Owner at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2009

Let me give you my opinion about this comment: I remimber very well that this client did ask a room at the last minute and our hotel was fully booked. So before to confirm their booking we did inform them that the room was on the basement with a view on the car park. That's why we did offer a special price for it !!
The photos are not representatives of the other rooms because this room is very different and we always sell it cheaper than the upper rooms !!
Concerning the breakfast and the "not appetizing fruit salad", I would like to precise that it is a fresh home made salad, made every day with fresh fruits...
Sorry for the towel, the chambermaid did forget to put two !
One more thing that I would like to precise:
This room is never sell for more than 1 or 2 days and generally for clients who asks for a special price. The problem is that when we are fully booked, the clients accept everything because they want to go skiing for the week-end but after they are disappointed...
I'm sure that if the same client did have a room on an upper floor, their stay will have been totally different...

Reviewed 24 February 2009

We stayed at the Ancolies for 5 nights and were met by friendly staff willing to oblige. However, dont go into the restaurant if you are feeling hungry! The breakfast was fine but the evening meal was a joke, not a good hearty meal after a days ski-ing but small courses of very unapetising food and if you are unfortunate enough not to like there cuisine beware you will have to pay for anything different. Also the four chefs in charge seemed to have taken a dislike to potatoes served in any shape or form and chips are definitely out. Flexibility is not in there volcabulary so unless you can eat almost any meat or fish go somewhere else. Well done the pastry chef he kept the deserts simple and apetising...

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank gill12345
IsabelleBretagne, Owner at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2009

Indeed, our kind of catering is gastronomic and customers should be informed about this when they book through a travel agency.
Therefore our strong point is not steak and french fries !
However, we entirely change the menu, without any additional charge, for vegetarian, people who can't eat fish or allergic people...
Furthemore, our dinner is made up of 6 dishes with unlimited cheese, so generally our guests tell us they ate "too much" more than "not enough".
We are really sorry about these customers' disappointement about our food.

Reviewed 10 April 2008

We recently stayed at Les Ancolies for 9 nights/8 days skiing having driven down from S.E. England.

Firstly the resort and location - Courchevel has probably the best skiing of any resort I have been to, very varied and snow-sure, with great links to over 600kms of Piste. 1550 is a quiet village but has easy links to 1850. There are only a handful of shops, bars and restaurants, but all that you need really unless you are looking for lively apres-ski. The ski hire shop recommended by the hotel (owned by a former speed ski champion) was excellent, and you got a discount as a resident of Les Ancolies.

1850 is easily reached by the gondola (6 minutes). In good snow conditions you can pratically ski to/from the hotel via a footpath just above the hotel. The ski bus stop is about 100 metres from the hotel, and runs until very late.

Booking was easy via email, and the staff very helpful. Due to tricky driving conditions (needing snow chains) we arrived very late, but we got a call from the hotel making sure we were OK, and that they would keep the kitchen & waiting staff back so that we could eat - fantastic customer service. The reception staff were excellent throughout our stay.

The decor of the hotel is rather outdated unfortunately, in the corridors, rooms and bathrooms in particular, but it was very clean so I didn't mind too much. The double beds are pretty small too - bear this in mind if you're of a 'larger' build. The only noise we suffered from really was the very loud locks on the doors, otherwise it was very peaceful.

The food, particularly in the evenings, was of a good standard. The choices of cheeses in particular was overwhelming! My only small gripes would be that there was no choice in what you had, and that sometimes something a little less fancy would have been preferable after a hard day's skiing. One night a week they have a Savoyarde evening, with a choice of fondue, pierrade or raclette. We did eat out a couple of nights too, just to sample other restaurants in the area, but unfortunately there is no discount of eating elsewhere, even though we did tell them in advance (to be fair I wasn't expecting a discount, but it would be nice).

Breakfast was typically french - pastries, bread, cheese, cold meats, cereals, yoghurt, etc. Some bacon/sausage/egg, etc would have been nice for us Anglo-Saxons, but not essential.

Service in the restaurant was a bit variable - the two male waiters and sommelier were excellent , but one other waitress was rather unattentive and forgetful, and on a couple of occasions a bit rude, in spite of us both speaking reasonable French.

Overall it was a great holiday, and if the hotel had a refurbishment and ironed out one or two other issues I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Whitters1uk

Because of our hotel building in 1980, we renovate it each year.
In 2009, a new corridor in wood has been done, bathrooms in bedrooms has been refurbished and balconies has been entirely refurbished in palines (decorated wood).
We try to refurbish the hotel each year because we could'nt do it in only one time.
In all the seasonal workers, there is sometimes one person who is less pleasant than the others, we deplore it of course and we apologize for that.

Reviewed 7 April 2008

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel, we hired a car and were able to park in the hotel for free for the duration of our stay.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and the hotel is always cosy and warm with a lovely fire in the evenings.

Our room had everything we needed and was very clean, we also had a balcony which was nice. The tv came in handy to watch DVD's in the evening after a long day skiing.

The room was cleaned twice everyday which was impressive.

The food was great, the breakfast consisted of Pancakes, fresh bread, cheese and ham, fresh fruit, cereal and eggs. This was a great buffet to start the day.

The evening meal was 8 courses and very typical french, the food was good and we never went away hungry - the cheese board was amazing and you could have as much as you wanted!! Dinner starts at 7:45pm which i thought was a bit late, 7pm would have been better.

Overall this is a great hotel, with a great location for the ski lift to 1850 - also the lift stays open till 8pm at night so you can have a drink at 1850 and catch the lift back down to 1550.

I recommend this hotel

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank Ellie74
Reviewed 10 February 2008

I booked this holiday based on other reviews and whilst I cannot moan too much about the hotel I did find that the food was too much. Every night was a five/six course meal and you were given no choice as to what you had. If you did want something different you had to pay a supplement of about 7 EUR. Dont get stung having a bottle of Evian with your meal as this was nearly 6 EUR - get tap water!!

The food is very French with things like rabbit, goat and some other things which we were not too sure what they were. I know some will argue that we were in France but an option would have been nice. We ended up not eating there for most of our holiday which was a real shame especially as we paid for half board. We also found the waiters quite rude. I would not recommend this hotel if you cannot speak a word of French but if you can get by its fine. Also if you asked, the menu was explained.

The hotel is not exactly close to the lift up to 1850. We found it easier to get the bus which runs every half an hour but you do have to walk to the bottom of the hill for this and walking back after a days skiing is a bit tough!! To get to the lift to 1850 you have to walk up a hill - with skis and then ski down the bottom of a blue run and avoid the luge toboggans and other skiers.

I found that the hotel was quite noisy as you could clearly hear rooms above and to the side but I have found this with every ski hotel I have stayed in and so always take some ear plugs.

The rooms were very clean and the maids came in twice a day and made the beds. The bathroom was also very clean and had a bath which I was very happy about. It does have satellite TV but the only English channels were CNN and Euro Sport.

1550 is a nice resort but if you are looking for a lively place to stay then stay in 1650.

Overall we did have a nice stay at this hotel and enjoyed using the spa we were just disappointed with the food aspect.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma909

Indeed our restaurant is gastronomic and we inform all our customers about it even if the booking is made by travel agency.
Our hotel is by the way renowned for this...
Concerning the gondola lift access, you definetely can go by ski. You don't need to go up or down by feet and ski in the hand. I think these customers didn't know the good way to get to the gondola lift by ski.
We are linked to 1850, in 4 minutes, so it is really fast and it works until 7.30 pm, very nice to do shopping after ski !!

Reviewed 7 April 2007

the last review isn't wrong just unfair. The hotel has some major plus points which outweight the negatives in my view. We stayed for 5 nights Mar/Apr and were very happy.

Location- Set above the Grangettes lift it is a 3 mins walk to the centre where the main lift, ski hire etc are. If you ask the latter will give you a lift back up the hill! You can ski back to it by coming off the parfamuel (sic) run down to 1550 but it requires good snow and at least intermediate skill as there are rocks a plenty. Ski out is also possible but in reality it is a 1 min walk up onto the above run and down to the main lift.

Rooms - The rooms are not very big but that is not unusual in skiing locations. There is however a clean bathroom (no mould etc.) and a seperate WC. There was a nice balcony although our view was not to the front.

Food - Simply outstanding. We paid E112 per day each and the meal would have been E60 anywhere in town. There is a 5/6 course meal and each course is very well thought out and cooked. The bread is exceptional and varied, e.g. apple bread! With walnuts etc. One course each night is a choice of local cheeses which are as all French cheeses amazing. You can have all that you want. The wine is not that expensive for a hotel about E20-E30 and if you don't finish the bottle they will cork and store it for you.

Service- When busy it is sometimes not rapid however the staff are very friendly and cannot do enough. e.g. on teh first night we were late arriving and they held on to serve us even though they shoudl have stopped seating people at 9.30.

Bar - I don't understand the previous person's problem. It is a nice bar area and it was open whenever we wanted a drink. The area is comfortable and the staff helpful. There are some games in a drawer to keep the kids amused!

Overall this is a good hotel which whilst not the cheapest is a reasonable price for something in the 3 valleys. You don't go to 1550 if you are looking for night life but if you want great skiing, food and/or with a family then this is a very good base. The Grangottes lift which i mentioned earlier takes you directly to the base of the main bubble lifts in 1850, i.e. Chenus, Verdons etc. You won't find a more convenient skiing location outside of the super expensive ones in 1850.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank ap7
Reviewed 11 February 2007

Third staying in this hotel since 1997. Each time for 1 week skiing. The hotel is still a decent place to stay but it's getting "old". Except the refurbished small wellness room, no changes or improvements have been done since 10 years!.

Here my remarks :

- excellent diner (6 course)
- typical french breakfast. Correct but could be better.
- service is variable (from bad to good). You often have to ask for bread, croissants, wine, etc. They are doing their best but this is not good enough unfortunately for 224€ per night!!
- rooms are very small and outdated (no minibar, no hairdryer, no heating during day). A lot of things are broken.
- WIFI internet is available but cost 30€ during your staying !!
- rooms are quite clean but could be better (towels are sometimes dirty).
- wellness room with 2p jacuzzi, steam bath & sauna : new since 2005.
- bar & salon are outdated (80's furnish). Fireplace is only on for 1 hour. I would not call it "cosy". Bar is only open 1hour just before dinner.
- ski room: outdated, small & wet
- noise of snowcanons can be heard the whole night ! If they are not working, it's very quiet.
- hotel pictures are looking much better than in reality.
- close to the slopes but village of 1550 is small and slopes of 1550 are not terrific.

Conclusion:

as stated by the owner, they are targetting mainly british tourists that they call "easy tourists". It was good in 1997, fine a couple of years ago but now, it's too expensive for the received quality. Luckely the evening dinner is very good so that makes up a bit for the other lacks.

We are not difficult tourists but we were *really* disappointed this year. We will probably not return anymore to this hotel hoping we can find a better one for the same price.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank SwissSpaceBoy
IsabelleBretagne, Owner at Les Ancolies Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2009

Since 1997 we do renovation every year but we can't do everything the same year.
You can find now hairdryers in each bathroom and a free of charge wifi access.
Concerning the towels, they are change two time a day, morning and evening if necessary.
Finally, the bar is open 24h/24h so it is possible to have a drink during all day and night...