“Great location/service but very poor internet connectivity”
Review of Hotel Carlina

Hotel Carlina
Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Courchevel
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Almost perfect in terms of location, layout and food. Also they have a great musician every night during peak season. This was our second year at this hotel with family and friends and would not hesitate recommending it again. The pool and the sauna facilities are great. Also, the chef and the restaurant/bar staff are friendly and very service oriented. We also enjoyed the service we got from the ski shop - they were always at hand to help put on or take off the ski shoes. However for the prices they charge and given its many star ratings, it does have a few fatal flaws i.e. very poor intermittent wifi (despite having complained about it last year), only one power plug in bathroom (so do not expect to use your computers or ipads,etc.)

Room Tip: All rooms from floor two and above have great views on the slope
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank VirenD617

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Hotel Carlina's location couldn't be better, right on the slopes, ski in/ski out. The service was very good, very attentive, and the food was perfectly fine. My disappointment with this hotel was in the rooms, it' supposed to be a five star hotel, but the rooms are the same from when my Mom and Dad stayed there 15 to 20 years ago (I compared pictures), it's outdated and too expensive for what you pay, I guess they justify the price for the location?. Definitely needs an urgent Face Lift!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paticas84
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel located on the piste in 1850. Location allows you to collect your ski's from the ski room and ski straight down to the various cable cars and button lifts up the slopes. There is also a ski rental called la lana very close by.

Our room was on the 4th floor and we had a fantastic view of the mountains. The room itself could do with updating; for example our shower was hand held which was very annoying!

Breakfast choice was extensive but there was no hot breakfast available when we went earlier at 7:00am, when compared to 9:00am on the other mornings.

Overall its a wonderful hotel and would be fantastic if the rooms were made a bit more modern.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank s_elizabeth_s
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We called in here for evening drinks while researching hotels for future stays in Courchevel. We felt that the hotel although in a fantastic location was pretty average to look at and compared to other much much nicer bars, was exceptionally expensive for drinks.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Canterburykim
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I would highly recommend this place if you don't want to spend fortune for accommodation in Courchevel. The hotel has one of the best location on the slopes, service is fantastic, very helpful, especially the concierge Jean-Mark, room are big with comfortable beds, however we didn't like the spa area-only 2 small saunas and small room for relax after. The dinner was included in the price but I would call it pretty average, not gourme for sure. In overal for this price it is really great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank k_vozianova
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We had the unpleasant experience of spending the week of New Years at Hotel Carlina. Needless to say, we were not impressed of the hotel. Please take time to read this descriptive review that reflects my honest feelings of the hotel.

First and foremost, the service is absolutely horrible. The main problem is the man that runs the concierge desk - while he attempts to accommodate shuttle, taxi, reservation attempts, he simply fails miserably. Out of the 10-15 times we asked for the shuttle, we were given it once. Every other time he blamed it on the road being blocked 'by a large truck' (I heard him use this excuse to guests every day, when in fact the road was fine). The Reception staff, aside from one mid aged lady who was very thoughtful, was both rude and completely oblivious to our needs.

On top of these problems, the main 'porter' told me that because my friend was not a client of the hotel, they could not take us to his chalet (5 minutes away). I think he was probably too uneducated to realise that I am in fact the client, and I should be able to go anywhere regardless of the company I associate myself with.

Next, the facilities are extremely outdated. The rooms smell of mold and are old, the lounge/bar/restaurant area looks like a disgusting and tacky rendition of generations past, and the spa area is absolutely nothing special. Showers are handheld, with no glass, meaning the water sprays all across the bathroom. Toilets are plastic, in small, cramped rooms, and quite disgusting. Heating is either blazing hot or freezing cold - we had to keep the door open the entire night. There is only one power socket per room. The jacuzzi and spa area in general is very small, very lukewarm, and is not what you would expect from a four or five star hotel.

Both the lunches and the breakfasts (I did not do dinner at the hotel) were comprised of fairly stale pastries and seemed very old given no one ate them. One of the heads of the bars, an attractive looking French man, was not only arrogant and rude, but also did not know how to make a cappuccino. How is this possible?

A quick overview of the positives - the majority of the porter staff was extremely helpful. Location wise, it is tough to beat Carlina, as you are above the Croisettes and hence have a great ski in and ski out location. I also must say that all views of the hotel are fairly good, as you either have the slopes or the town and the center of the city in the background. Last, pets are allowed, meaning this is a good option for those that are traveling with man's best friend.

For the amount of money charged, there are far better options in Courchevel. Simply put, Hotel Carlina is outdated, lacks even 'decent' service, and fails to live up to the expectations of a four star hotel, let alone a five star.

Room Tip: If you still decide to book here, rooms on the fifth floor are substantially bigger from a height po...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank john f
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I wanted a pamper afternoon so decided I would choose the Carlina as it was a 4 star hotel and the rates seemed to be reasonable. I asked for a 'oxygenated' facial which should have lasted for 75 minutes however my treatment lasted 60 minutes and did not include the full treatment stated. I realised this after I had paid and was using the spa facilities which were good. I would suggest that if you want to treat yourself to a pamper you keep an eye on the time and are sure what is included in the treatment.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo