“What A Disappointment”

Ranked #39 of 55 Hotels in Courchevel
Hong Kong
“What A Disappointment”
Reviewed 3 March 2008

We've been AmanJunkies for many years and can't believe how disappointing it is to have booked Le Melezin. It's a maze of narrow hallways with mirrors and foil paper attempting to make it look more spacious than it is.

We're paying 1,900 Euros for an "suite" that is dark, narrow, has limited views, has no temperature control, has no balcony, has a tub that's too small for even one person, has a bathroom door with rusty hinges and has a main door that opens right to the bed.

I could go on about how poor the food is but I'd rather not think about the cold soup, cardboard tomatoes, inedible beef and tough turbot. When we complain to management, they offer no compensation, no room change, no help.

We spent a half hour on the phone with Helene the General Manager and the only solution she offered was a free dinner. She spent most of the time arguing with us. A very sad vacation.

Stayed March 2008
20 Thank TravelJunkies2008

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
Reviewed 22 February 2007

Just been skiing in Courchevel and we stayed at the Le Melezin on the recommendation of a friend. It was everything she said it would be and more. We had a fantastic room, overlooking the Bellecote slope, with a huge balcony. The room was a great design, with his and hers walk in wardrobes directly off the bathroom (plenty of room for ski stuff), a large two person shower and a separate deep bath, overlooking the slopes (candles and oils provided), two hand basins, huge bed, big comfy chairs. The service was absolutely brilliant, so friendly, the staff couldn't do enough for you. They even put your ski boots on for you and take them off at the end of they day! I thought that was going to be a bit ridiculous, but it is so much easier than doing it yourself (!) and means the boot room is so relaxed and organised, no trying to find your boots and fight with your skis - it even has cushioned sofas to sit on while you get your boots seen to and scented candles! You might think it's going to be a bit pretentious going to a super-cool hotel in the middle of the Alps, with none of the usual Savoyard charm and chintz, but it works perfectly, is completely relaxed and laid back, with none of the bling of certain other places I can think of in Courchevel. Really, they thought of everything and there wasn't a single thing I would have them change. Pure understated luxury with impeccable service. Perfect!

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank Tripper35
London
Reviewed 18 March 2005

This has been my second trip to Le Melezin; my last was excellent; this time was good also, but some major niggles. When I arrived the room I was given was vastly inferior to the one I was given last time - both cost the same (670 euros) for a chambre valle, but this time my loyalty was rewarded with a downgrade (figure that out). The room had a view from the bed of a large wall, about 3 feet from the window. You could see nothing else; the room was dark and smaller than last time.

When I complained, I was offered an upgrade...............BUT for an extra 530 euros per night! That would have been another 3500 euros for the week. So we put up with the room. It has also to be said that the room was looking very tired and needs updating;

When I went to pay the bill, and bear in mind this was over 5000 euros, I noted an item which was wrong ( a third main course charged for at one dinner, when there was only 2 of us - we had sent one back and recieved an alternative dish). When I raised this with reception, I expected an immediate correction. However what ensued was a long interrogation; followed by the manager being called, who himself would not accept my word, and insisted on going to check with the restaurant himself; I felt humiliated - we were talking about 34 euros out of a total bill of 5000!!

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth; Yes I will retrun there but hope that I will have a better experience and will ask the hotel to review my entry on to trip advisor.

• Stayed March 2005