“Lovely hotel, but some inconsistencies”

Hilton Evian-les-Bains
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Evian-les-Bains
“Lovely hotel, but some inconsistencies”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

As the title suggests, I'm in a state of confusion about how to rate this hotel! I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could, but on balance it probably does deserve 4 stars.

Let's start with the good stuff. If you take the hotel in isolation it is very very nice; clean, spacious, lovely location and fantastic views. The wifi is reliable and fast (Hilton have obviously taken action in response to previous comments) and the breakfast is delicious. There is great value parking underneath the hotel (€11/day or €31 for a 3-day pass - just ask at reception) and the room was superb - we were in a junior suite on the third floor with fantastic views of the gardens and lake. The bathroom was one of the best I've seen. The hotel also has about 8 bikes on hand which you can take for free - you just have to get reception to unlock them for you. Last, and certainly not least, the staff are brilliant - very friendly and attentive. We felt well looked after.

Now for the 'inconsistencies'. Although the room was great it was too hot for sleeping, even with the air-con set at 10C (I think someone else has mentioned this in a review).

The spa is far superior to what you'd normally find at a hotel, but I can't help get the impression that someone has done a very good marketing job on it; it's just not as amazing as all the literature makes out. The indoor pool area is very confined. It's feels busy with 4 people in there. I'd hate to see what it's like during peak season in summer. The sauna was out of action when we were there and the treatments were very expensive for what they were (granted - this should probably be a separate review since I'm sure Hilton just lease the space to Buddha Bar).

The Executive Lounge has a fantastic area on the 6th floor and a lovely outside terrace, but the canapé offering in the evening is fairly lacking (that said, they did kindly prepare some vegetarian snacks for my fiancee when there weren't any on offer). The lounge attendant seemed to have to share her time with reception, which is understandable when the hotel is quiet, but it also meant that food and drink supplies weren't re-stocked and that plates were left uncleared. The hotel could certainly make more of this area.

Some other reviews have mentioned a Faulty Towers like vibe to this hotel. Although we did sometimes get this feeling (no draft beer on offer in the bar because the taps were broken, the sauna being out of use, the Exec Lounge etc) I don't think it's that bad, but there are some areas Hilton need to focus on to make this a truly great hotel.

All-in-all, I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AdamGilbride
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear AdamGilbride,

We do appreciate to receive a such constructive comment about our hotel & our services. I share your opinion concerning our Junior Suites : they are very spacious with a stunning view on the Lac Léman. This room category also includes a free access to our Executive lounge. I am sorry to see that you have not received the best service in this area. Our Head Chef is currently working on a new food selection, and I can assure you that our Lounge Attendants are 100% dedicated to our valuable guests to provide them high quality service. We recently set up the Lounge Terrasse for the summer, and I hope you will have the opportunity to come back and enjoy it fully.
Summer is our peak season, however this is actually the best period to enjoy our Buddah Bar SPA. We are pleased to open a Pool Bar and a Nail Bar around our outside swimming pool area. A great place to enjoy sunbathing and our nice cocktails while relaxing and unwinding. We do hope to welcome you back soon so you can experience all those services. Valérie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glion, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel and the design is very nice but the staff are very unprofessional, today the housekeeper entered the room without following the rules for entering the room (knocking the door 3 times saying "housekeeping") she knocked once and enter without saying anything and when i asked her to come later she replied we are her last room and she needs to finish(15:00). We also called 3 times the reception for a plug adaptor and they didn't know what to say, after we came to the reception they helped us. Also on the description it says "free wifi" but the wifi is not free (15 euros per day). I wouldn't recommend this hotel for any of you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank varkoume_polla
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your compliments regarding our beautiful hotel! But please accept my most sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. The quality of service that you are describing is absolutely not what we are willing to provide. We are working everyday to offer beautiful experiences to our guests. I hope you will give us a chance to show you how excellent our service normally is. Best regards. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.
Embrach
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed many time in this hotel and we were very satisfied every time !
The hotel is just at the lake side (road between) and the casino is at walking distance.
The service is very professional .
We love this Hilton !

Room Tip: take a superior room with lake view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank weRaway
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Travellers,

Thank you very much for all those compliments and your loyalty to our property! I am delighted to read that you appreciated our services and our beautiful hotel. The view on the lake is amazing, especially on the higher floors. I do not know if you already had the chance to discover our Executive Lounge on the 6th floor ( available with an Executive Room or higher room categories). It gives you the opportunity to relax & enjoy complementary drinks & appetizers on one of the most beautiful spot in Evian.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.
Milan
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Arrival: perfect! No wifi included though, actually, very, very expansive what is ridiculous in my opinion! Rooms - exceptional good. Just perfect for a business trip with the spa and the pools to relax in the evenings! Restaurant's ok, too - not exceptional, but fine!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you very much for your recommendations regarding our property. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed our rooms and our SPA. Otherwise, I would like to let you know that internet can be included in your rate. Please do not hesitate to request it during the reservation process. I hope to welcome you soon again. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked a winter weekend at the Hilton in Evian les Bains for my son's birthday. I mentioned this to the delightful receptionist at check-in, who went out of her way to make our stay special, including surprising him with a "birthday platter" complete with candles on the morning of his birthday.

Location is perfect; an easy drive from Geneva Airport, on the bank's of Lake Geneva, and 2 minutes form the town centre. As a Hilton Honours Gold member we were pleased to be upgraded to a beautiful room on the 6th floor with lake views.

The spa - branded the Buddha Bar spa - was busy, even out of season, but I guess that most people visit Evian to use the town's spa facilities. Evian itself is a lovely, quiet little town with a good selection of restaurants and well worth a visit. A great find and I will certainly return.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms - the executive floor - have great views of the lake
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear M. M,

It was my pleasure to greet you and prepare something special for your son's birthday! I was delighted to see your comments, and happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I totally agree about our rooms on the 6th floor, and our Executive Lounge : the view from there is breathtaking. I hope our hotel will be your first choice for your next stays in the area, and I am looking forward to welcome you back.
Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stay was very average and if it werent for a good value promotion , i wouldnt have booked. Rooms and outdoor pool are nice. Hotel Location is nice. SPA very expensive. Food is very bad Indoor pool is very restricted for kids. Kids Fun club was OK.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. But I do hope that your children enjoyed both our swimming pool and Kid's Club. We like providing as many activities as possible to the families staying in our hotel.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon, Best regards, Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Visited in January 2014 during low season, and the hotel and town were very quiet. The staff was outgoing, friendly, efficient and helpful. Met the General Manager who was frequently present in the lobby speaking with guests and staff,… nice gentleman who obviously lead his team by example. The exec lounge had an ample supply of good wine, port and hors d'oeuvres. Excellent morning breakfast buffet. great views of Lake Geneva. Concierge was very helpful. Room was very nice, having been upgraded to a junior suite. Overall a great business stay. I hope to return -- frequently!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Lake.. and a junior suite if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hilt0nEvianlesBains, General Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear traveller,

It was a real pleasure to greet you during your stay, thank you for your post!
I am delighted to read that we were able to exceed your expectations in terms of service and that you found our facilities to be of such great value.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Yours sincerely,