“Too Many Sorries”

Hilton Evian-les-Bains
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Evian-les-Bains
Reviewed 29 April 2014

OK...I know its off season for tourists (though I am on business), but does that mean service takes a holiday too? The people here are very nice and the property is beautiful, but there have been too many apologies for coming up short on service. The last one was that they actually ran out of wine in the Exec Lounge and had no more. They opened one bottle at 630. I called at 8PM to ask them to open a second bottle as there was none left (no, I am not a lush...there were other people in the lounge too!) The attendant came up and said they ran out. I am in France and they ran out of wine? I am a Diamond member and went out of my way to stay at this property...at least I will get points...but have to say I am disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank AnandaBhakti
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear AnandaBhakti,

First I would like to reassure you and every travellers who read your comment : even in the darkest time of History, France never runs out of wine! And I would like to apologize for the poor answer you were given in our Executive Lounge. Our Team Members have been re-briefed, and wine is flowing again as it should be. I hope you will have the opportunity to come back in our property, we will be more than pleased to show you how excellent our service normally is. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

As the title suggests, I'm in a state of confusion about how to rate this hotel! I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could, but on balance it probably does deserve 4 stars.

Let's start with the good stuff. If you take the hotel in isolation it is very very nice; clean, spacious, lovely location and fantastic views. The wifi is reliable and fast (Hilton have obviously taken action in response to previous comments) and the breakfast is delicious. There is great value parking underneath the hotel (€11/day or €31 for a 3-day pass - just ask at reception) and the room was superb - we were in a junior suite on the third floor with fantastic views of the gardens and lake. The bathroom was one of the best I've seen. The hotel also has about 8 bikes on hand which you can take for free - you just have to get reception to unlock them for you. Last, and certainly not least, the staff are brilliant - very friendly and attentive. We felt well looked after.

Now for the 'inconsistencies'. Although the room was great it was too hot for sleeping, even with the air-con set at 10C (I think someone else has mentioned this in a review).

The spa is far superior to what you'd normally find at a hotel, but I can't help get the impression that someone has done a very good marketing job on it; it's just not as amazing as all the literature makes out. The indoor pool area is very confined. It's feels busy with 4 people in there. I'd hate to see what it's like during peak season in summer. The sauna was out of action when we were there and the treatments were very expensive for what they were (granted - this should probably be a separate review since I'm sure Hilton just lease the space to Buddha Bar).

The Executive Lounge has a fantastic area on the 6th floor and a lovely outside terrace, but the canapé offering in the evening is fairly lacking (that said, they did kindly prepare some vegetarian snacks for my fiancee when there weren't any on offer). The lounge attendant seemed to have to share her time with reception, which is understandable when the hotel is quiet, but it also meant that food and drink supplies weren't re-stocked and that plates were left uncleared. The hotel could certainly make more of this area.

Some other reviews have mentioned a Faulty Towers like vibe to this hotel. Although we did sometimes get this feeling (no draft beer on offer in the bar because the taps were broken, the sauna being out of use, the Exec Lounge etc) I don't think it's that bad, but there are some areas Hilton need to focus on to make this a truly great hotel.

All-in-all, I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AdamGilbride
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear AdamGilbride,

We do appreciate to receive a such constructive comment about our hotel & our services. I share your opinion concerning our Junior Suites : they are very spacious with a stunning view on the Lac Léman. This room category also includes a free access to our Executive lounge. I am sorry to see that you have not received the best service in this area. Our Head Chef is currently working on a new food selection, and I can assure you that our Lounge Attendants are 100% dedicated to our valuable guests to provide them high quality service. We recently set up the Lounge Terrasse for the summer, and I hope you will have the opportunity to come back and enjoy it fully.
Summer is our peak season, however this is actually the best period to enjoy our Buddah Bar SPA. We are pleased to open a Pool Bar and a Nail Bar around our outside swimming pool area. A great place to enjoy sunbathing and our nice cocktails while relaxing and unwinding. We do hope to welcome you back soon so you can experience all those services. Valérie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel and the design is very nice but the staff are very unprofessional, today the housekeeper entered the room without following the rules for entering the room (knocking the door 3 times saying "housekeeping") she knocked once and enter without saying anything and when i asked her to come later she replied we are her last room and she needs to finish(15:00). We also called 3 times the reception for a plug adaptor and they didn't know what to say, after we came to the reception they helped us. Also on the description it says "free wifi" but the wifi is not free (15 euros per day). I wouldn't recommend this hotel for any of you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank varkoume_polla
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your compliments regarding our beautiful hotel! But please accept my most sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. The quality of service that you are describing is absolutely not what we are willing to provide. We are working everyday to offer beautiful experiences to our guests. I hope you will give us a chance to show you how excellent our service normally is. Best regards. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed many time in this hotel and we were very satisfied every time !
The hotel is just at the lake side (road between) and the casino is at walking distance.
The service is very professional .
We love this Hilton !

Room Tip: take a superior room with lake view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank weRaway
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Travellers,

Thank you very much for all those compliments and your loyalty to our property! I am delighted to read that you appreciated our services and our beautiful hotel. The view on the lake is amazing, especially on the higher floors. I do not know if you already had the chance to discover our Executive Lounge on the 6th floor ( available with an Executive Room or higher room categories). It gives you the opportunity to relax & enjoy complementary drinks & appetizers on one of the most beautiful spot in Evian.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Arrival: perfect! No wifi included though, actually, very, very expansive what is ridiculous in my opinion! Rooms - exceptional good. Just perfect for a business trip with the spa and the pools to relax in the evenings! Restaurant's ok, too - not exceptional, but fine!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you very much for your recommendations regarding our property. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed our rooms and our SPA. Otherwise, I would like to let you know that internet can be included in your rate. Please do not hesitate to request it during the reservation process. I hope to welcome you soon again. Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked a winter weekend at the Hilton in Evian les Bains for my son's birthday. I mentioned this to the delightful receptionist at check-in, who went out of her way to make our stay special, including surprising him with a "birthday platter" complete with candles on the morning of his birthday.

Location is perfect; an easy drive from Geneva Airport, on the bank's of Lake Geneva, and 2 minutes form the town centre. As a Hilton Honours Gold member we were pleased to be upgraded to a beautiful room on the 6th floor with lake views.

The spa - branded the Buddha Bar spa - was busy, even out of season, but I guess that most people visit Evian to use the town's spa facilities. Evian itself is a lovely, quiet little town with a good selection of restaurants and well worth a visit. A great find and I will certainly return.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms - the executive floor - have great views of the lake
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear M. M,

It was my pleasure to greet you and prepare something special for your son's birthday! I was delighted to see your comments, and happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I totally agree about our rooms on the 6th floor, and our Executive Lounge : the view from there is breathtaking. I hope our hotel will be your first choice for your next stays in the area, and I am looking forward to welcome you back.
Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stay was very average and if it werent for a good value promotion , i wouldnt have booked. Rooms and outdoor pool are nice. Hotel Location is nice. SPA very expensive. Food is very bad Indoor pool is very restricted for kids. Kids Fun club was OK.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
VALERIE T, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Evian-les-Bains, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Traveller,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. But I do hope that your children enjoyed both our swimming pool and Kid's Club. We like providing as many activities as possible to the families staying in our hotel.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon, Best regards, Valerie Teysseire, Duty Manager